Author Topic: What shouldn't you feed a Cocker Spaniel?  (Read 4849 times)

Offline x Lou x

What shouldn't you feed a Cocker Spaniel?
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:32:15 PM »
I thought that you couldn't give dogs cheese, eggs or milk. But I see most of you use cheese as a treat.
Chester loves pears but he does easily get a funny tummy, I wondered if any one had any ideas for treats for a Cocker Spaniel with a sensitive tum?  He loves a knuckle bone but that seems to upset his tum too, as do raw hide sticks. The best treat he has at the moment is the Wainwright puppy bones/biscuits. Any Ideas?

Is there anything I shouldn't give him?

Thanks in advance  :D

Chester looking Gorgeous!!!

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: What shouldn't you feed a Cocker Spaniel?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:42:40 PM »
Chloe gets teensy bits of cheese as training treats and a raw egg with her kibble once or twice a week. She doesn't get rawhide chews as she gets the runs with them. Tbh, I think you have to just check out different onces and see how your dog reacts, but in general, I would stear clear of anything with rubbish in them. At the moment, I'm trying Chloe on Nature's menu treats, which seem to be fine for her, and homemade stuff always suits her......livercake and tunabread go down a treat with no upset tummy.

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 09:44:37 PM »
dried carrots.

Take fresh carrots, Slice then oven cook them on your ovens  lowest setting till the carrots have gone dry and crunchy. Dog either love of hate them, In credibly healthy if your dog does like them

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »
Chloe gets teensy bits of cheese as training treats and a raw egg with her kibble once or twice a week. She doesn't get rawhide chews as she gets the runs with them. Tbh, I think you have to just check out different onces and see how your dog reacts, but in general, I would stear clear of anything with rubbish in them. At the moment, I'm trying Chloe on Nature's menu treats, which seem to be fine for her, and homemade stuff always suits her......livercake and tunabread go down a treat with no upset tummy.
Do you know where I could get the recipes for these from?  They sound a good idea.

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:48:42 PM »
dried carrots.

Take fresh carrots, Slice then oven cook them on your ovens  lowest setting till the carrots have gone dry and crunchy. Dog either love of hate them, In credibly healthy if your dog does like them

He likes carrots, so i'll try it. :D

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:53:47 PM »
Thank you  :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 09:55:44 PM »
Some dogs don't digest milk well, they don't need it in their diet but if you are going to give it they often tolerate goats milk better. Eggs are fine, mine get them raw or scrambled as a treat and cheese is a high-value treat which they love but they don't get loads of it. There are lots of biscuits and treats which are commercially available - gravy bones, JWB Crackerjacks, Nature's Menu and Fish4Dogs treats are some popular choices - or you can make your own such as livercake or tuna bread. Most fruit is fine for dogs but moderate quantities is best if he's prone to an upset stomach and a lot of dogs also like raw carrots as a treat.

Big no-nos for dogs are chocolate, grapes, raisins, sultanas, onion, macadamia nuts, xylitol (found in chewing gum and some sweets), raw potato, cooked bones, fruit stones and pips which contain cyanide (but large quantities would have to be crunched up) and can also be a choking hazard and corn cobs as dogs can't digest these and they can cause blockages.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 10:05:31 PM »
Thank You,  that was really helpful.  Why not cooked bones my vet said not raw bones because of possible tape worms or salmonella?

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
Thank You,  that was really helpful.  Why not cooked bones my vet said not raw bones because of possible tape worms or salmoela?

Cooked bones splinter more easily and are more likely to cause choking or tummy problems. My vet also said that feeding raw bones carries the danger of salmonela, but I chose to ignore him  ph34r :005: Vet's don't know everything about feeding and diet and I have found my fellow COLers to be far more knowledgable in these matters, so I go with them  :005:

Offline x Lou x

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 10:18:05 PM »
Thanks I'll look in to it.  :D

Offline weenieangel

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 10:32:31 PM »
dried carrots.

Take fresh carrots, Slice then oven cook them on your ovens  lowest setting till the carrots have gone dry and crunchy. Dog either love of hate them, In credibly healthy if your dog does like them

Oh dear !!!!!!!!!! i have made an error here then..............we gave Charley half a sliced fresh carrot a couple of days ago ( not cooked or made crunchy just outa the fridge ) We haven't seen any signs of probs but should you always half cook carrots ? i thought that fully cooked ones were not so good hence giving him half a raw one ??

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 10:37:14 PM »
dried carrots.

Oh dear !!!!!!!!!! i have made an error here then..............we gave Charley half a sliced fresh carrot a couple of days ago ( not cooked or made crunchy just outa the fridge ) We haven't seen any signs of probs but should you always half cook carrots ? i thought that fully cooked ones were not so good hence giving him half a raw one ??

Perfectly safe :D. Brodie loves raw carrots and gets half a small one almost every day, great for her teeth :blink:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 10:37:58 PM »
dried carrots.

Don't worry, raw carrots are fine! I used to cut carrots into sticks and freeze them for Chloe and give them to her when was teething. I still give her a raw carrot now and then  :D

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »
dried carrots.

I think Sarah was just suggesting another way to feed carrots as a change from raw. ;) Mine eat raw carrots regularly with no problems, although Dougie was always sick with them when he was a small pup, but is fine now. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge