Author Topic: Rawhide chews etc  (Read 6500 times)

Offline mooching

Re: Rawhide chews etc
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 04:06:48 PM »
These are similar Manda & all of my 4 absolutely love them  http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/beef/sticks/13412
You need to order them quite quickly because they are forever going out of stock.  I have just ordered some for mine after waiting nearly 2 weeks for them to come back in stock  ::)  They are fine for puppies too.  :D
I wonder if they are anything like CSJ's "Ribbies"?

http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=14&pageStyle=P

Mine do also have the rawhide chewies, but only when i can't get hold of the above chewies. Always under supervision though.  ;)
Thing is, supervision can't prevent the intestinal blockage risk though. Unless you stop them eating any of it whatsoever.

Offline penfold

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »
I tend to give my lot raw carrots/frozen kongs....not for any other reason (until now!) except rawhide chews gave alfie springer chronic deadly wind  ph34r

Like the sound of the chews from zooplus.  Have tried them recently with the fish jerky but they all just looked at me like I was mad  :lol:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »
These are similar Manda & all of my 4 absolutely love them  http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/beef/sticks/13412
You need to order them quite quickly because they are forever going out of stock.  I have just ordered some for mine after waiting nearly 2 weeks for them to come back in stock  ::)  They are fine for puppies too.  :D

http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=14&pageStyle=P

Mine do also have the rawhide chewies, but only when i can't get hold of the above chewies. Always under supervision though.  ;)
Thing is, supervision can't prevent the intestinal blockage risk though. Unless you stop them eating any of it whatsoever.

it depends on the size of the rawhide doesn't it?  the thin ones are hardly likely to cause an obstruction unless they're swallowed whole.

I spose if you have a dog that doesn't bother chewing you have a problem.
helen & jarvis x

Offline mooching

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 05:43:35 PM »
it depends on the size of the rawhide doesn't it?  the thin ones are hardly likely to cause an obstruction unless they're swallowed whole.

I wouldn't know - I don't know the diameter of a pup's (or a dog's) small intestine. All I know is that that's one of the reasons my vet warned me off them - she said that pups especially can find find rawhide hard to digest, so what they eat can remain undigested in their gut and cause a blockage.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 06:54:49 PM »
I think we're all capable of making decisions regarding our dogs and our dog's welfare - my irritation is when I'm told that I 'should' or 'shouldn't' do certain things when I'm intelligent enough to do my own research and make considered decisions.  I find it particularly patronising and rude.

The rawhide chews I give my dog are not bleached, they're definitely bovine hide, they're small and consumed in small chunks and he digests them well.   

FWIW I actively avoid all products from PAH - I've only ever been in one once and I won't buy from there.  My vet says Jarvis is fit and healthy and knows all about what I feed him (including any treats) and I would NEVER knowingly put him at any risk.

As for arsenic, tell that to the cigarette smokers as they're all inhaling that daily, and over zealous cleanliness with bleach in the house is dangerous to dogs too  ph34r
helen & jarvis x

Offline mooching

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 07:27:14 PM »
I think we're all capable of making decisions regarding our dogs and our dog's welfare - my irritation is when I'm told that I 'should' or 'shouldn't' do certain things when I'm intelligent enough to do my own research and make considered decisions.  I find it particularly patronising and rude.
I didn't say it to *you*. And all I was doing in that thread was expressing my opinion based on what my vet said to me, and she very definitely said that pups shouldn't have them and that it was debatable whether dogs over a year should have them either.
I've also read some horror stories on COL, so I do tend to be a bit zealous about it, especially since the same thing could easily have happened to one of my own dogs in the past.

Plenty of people just give their dogs rawhide chews that they see on the shelves of pet shops without thinking to question where they come from. I know, I used to be one of them myself. I had no idea of all of the possible dangers, or that they could include the skin of other animals if they came from China (I would have had no idea of where they came from anyway, as I used to buy them loose).
The rawhide chews I give my dog are not bleached, they're definitely bovine hide, they're small and consumed in small chunks and he digests them well.  
What brand are they and where could I get some? I haven't found any in my local pet shops and would consider them for Alfie when he is older if I knew where to get them from.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 07:53:30 PM »
My Rosie nearly choked a rawhide 2 yrs ago it frightened the hell out of me  :'( I will never give any kind of rawhide to any of mine I'm just to scared.
She does not chew much at all just 'downs it', even carrot has to be cut up into tiny portions. My others do chew but I just can't give it.

Years ago my retrievers loved the raw hide  :blink:

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 08:17:34 PM »
Holly has one every night & looks forward to it, we have a nice large crusty patch all over the far cushion in the living room...where she sits every night & munches away! Really should buy a cover  >:(
Never had any issues/problems, she chews like a lady dont cha know  :shades: and she enjoys them, I buy huge bags of them for £15.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 09:13:03 PM »
I think we're all capable of making decisions regarding our dogs and our dog's welfare - my irritation is when I'm told that I 'should' or 'shouldn't' do certain things when I'm intelligent enough to do my own research and make considered decisions.  I find it particularly patronising and rude.

Crikey, are you having a bad day Helen  :005:

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 09:17:31 PM »

Crikey, are you having a bad day Helen  :005:
:lol: women aye!!!  :005:

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »

Not sure if they are the same & on the CSJ site there isn't a photograph.  :-\  The chews from Zooplus are def. a lot cheaper than these.  I also gave a friends dogs some recently & they all loved them too.  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline mooching

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 10:31:42 PM »
Not sure if they are the same & on the CSJ site there isn't a photograph.  :-\  The chews from Zooplus are def. a lot cheaper than these.  I also gave a friends dogs some recently & they all loved them too.  ;)

Thanks, Wendy. I think I will put an order in for some for Alfie!

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 06:14:14 AM »
I give raw hide chews occasionally. Usually when they're given them by my mum or the lady who delivers my pet supplies slipping them in as a freebe. But its not  something Id spend my money on as I know they arent the greatest of treats

mostly I give them veggie denta chews. I shopped around and discovered the hegdehog shaped ones to last the longest. Stick are too conveniently shaped to eat quickly.  :005:

Ill be having a look the ostrich chews though.

Offline mooching

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 09:07:41 AM »
mostly I give them veggie denta chews. I shopped around and discovered the hegdehog shaped ones to last the longest. Stick are too conveniently shaped to eat quickly.  :005:

Is that the Antos make, Sarah? I was thinking of trying those.

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »
No cerea.
http://www.veggiepets.com/shop/cerea-hedgehog-chew.html

Another long last alternative is the rice bones

http://www.veggiepets.com/shop/cerea-cross-bone.html
But Dexter tended to leave it hide it when he was half way through and as I had two dogs I dont like leaving high value treats around so I stuck with the hedgehogs that always disappear straight away. I used them alot when I only had the one dog though as they lasted so long