Author Topic: Okay, lots of reassurance please!!!  (Read 4421 times)

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
Okay, lots of reassurance please!!!
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »
I know there have been many threads on chicken wings, raw etc and I have read them but.......

...............still I procrastinate! It didn't help when I mentioned it to a vet a year or so ago and he was sniffy about it and then regaled me with a tale of a dog he had treated who had eaten raw chicken and subsequently died of salmonella .....great, thanks for that. But I keep thinking of all the rotting rubbish Maisie sticks her nose in when we are out, and all the dead bits of flesh she's picked up before I notice  >:( and think, well she can pick up the bugs elsewhere despite any human grade raw might give her. Is that irresponsible?

I thought if I started with the chicken wings, you know,....do it gently....for my sake rather than Maisie(!) I might be okay  :lol2:. I know she loves raw because I have dropped her the odd titbit of raw meat and it's hoovered up without a blink. I've never seen the kibble disappear that fast and that makes me feel a real meany! So, please, can you tell me that the odd chicken wing'll be okay, pleeeease, for Maisie's sake?

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Okay, lots of reassurance please!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:02:13 AM »
I gave Ellie her first one a few
weeks ago, everything fine, she
ate it nicely and enjoyed it and no
probs.
Go on .... it will be fine :D
steffxxx

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:24:40 PM »

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »
I would only have concerns about a dog on a raw diet if its immune system had been or was compromised in any way, other than that a fit dog should be able to eat a raw diet without consequence.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:49:15 PM »
This is a good read: http://rawfed.com/myths/bacteria.html

Thanks for that. I've just read it, it's very interesting. It was at the point I mentioned the shorter digestive tract to the vet that he regaled me with his tale -  as if to say, well that may be but....! The theory in the article that proliferation of salmonella in a dog resulting in  illness could be due to other issues, immune system etc rather than solely dietary causes sounds plausible. As the article says, dogs by nature aren't the most sanitary of creatures, as my OH enjoys pointing out when I get the odd cocker kiss  :lol2:

And having said all that, the chicken wings still aren't out the freezer  :005:

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »

Not a problem - I give them frozen ones; takes them longer to eat  :lol2:

Offline tangy tango

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »
I started on chicken wings after seeing them mentioned often on here and then doing a lot of reading up on Raw on the internet.  The first chicken wing was really nerve wracking but now I see the crunching of bones as a sign they are enjoying their food!  :005:  I switched to full Raw in December and can honestly say we haven't looked back.  I enjoy the variety I can feed and it might just be in my head but I think teeth are looking better too.

The only tummy problems we have had since then involved one of the dogs finding a cooked chicken in the park (he managed to leave the packaging!) and eating it as fast as he could!  I think that would have happened regardless of what food they are fed and I think there is probably more risk from, like you say, the items they eat which we can't control  >:(  I don't know if we were lucky but I just gave him plain food for a couple of days and he was fine, thankfully without needing a trip to the vets.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »

Not a problem - I give them frozen ones; takes them longer to eat  :lol2:
Me too, the boys love them  :D
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 02:19:11 PM »
 :bigarmhug:'s I know exactly how worried you are - I was exactly the same with Maggie.... but honestly we've never looked back. For about about 18 months I would give her chicken wings a couple of times a week and now we're fully raw.  She's coped really well - only a couple of things that don't agree with her, but they became clear very quickly  :005: But the rest she loves.
Gooooooan Nina - Maise will love it  ;) :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »
I have fed chicken wings to selby for about 2 years with no Ill effects, I understand where you are coming from though I felt the same, but just to see the look on his face when is chicken tonight, he has about 3 or 4 a week now :luv:He will love you even more.  Don't think there is anything in the meat line e does not have.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 04:50:35 PM »
Personally, I'm not happy to feed frozen meat, with or without bones in it. I make sure all raw meat and bones I give to mine are room temperature when fed.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 07:33:15 PM »
I'm bending  :005:.

You are all so lovely  :luv: :luv:, what would I do without you all to hold my hand. I'm pathetic!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 07:35:20 PM »
I'm bending  :005:.

You are all so lovely  :luv: :luv:, what would I do without you all to hold my hand. I'm pathetic!

Oh come on, just give her a flipping chicken wing - it will be OK!!!  :shades: :005:

Dozens of us have done it and as far as I know, none of the dogs have choked to death or died of salmonella  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 07:55:26 PM »
The odd occasion when Jeff has swallowed one whole (he is a hog) he has simply brought it back up  :020: and chewed it properly second time round  :D

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 10:08:49 PM »
absolutely 100% do it.  it will be totally fine.  If you worried you could smack the wing with a rolling pin first to break it up a bit.

But honestly Hazel at 6 months has no problems wolfing them down.  She has barfed a bit back up - primarily because it was too big, a bit like Jeff  :lol:

Mine all totally love raw, enjoy their dinner thoroughly, eat it all down and I know exactly what they are eating, no e numbers or preservatives - I've only been full raw since January and I won't be going back to kibble.

Seriously, chuck her a wing.. and then smile lots when you see how much she loves munching on it.
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x