Author Topic: What to feed a fussy eater?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: What to feed a fussy eater?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »
I tried for over three years to get Brodie to enjoy her kibble without success before changing to wet food - I was a little worried about the smell and mess, seeing as I've been vegetarian for years, but honestly I have no problems with it. I'm not sure how it works out cost-wise compared to kibble as I've never worked it out, however if I remember right Proplan is one of the dearer kibbles so there shouldn't be much of a difference.

I started out on NatureDiet, which she liked. However, being a fussy dog she did end up getting bored of it and now won't go near it. I tried her on Wainright's and couldn't believe my eyes, she loves it :shades:. I am staying one step ahead of her though, as I know she could get bored - so every now and then I swap her onto Lukullus or Lily's Kitchen for a while.

I was always really wary of chopping and changing her food - but I've since realised that she couldn't get any more fussy if she tried :lol2: so our present set up suits us.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 03:39:21 PM »
I tried for over three years to get Brodie to enjoy her kibble without success before changing to wet food - I was a little worried about the smell and mess, seeing as I've been vegetarian for years, but honestly I have no problems with it. I'm not sure how it works out cost-wise compared to kibble as I've never worked it out, however if I remember right Proplan is one of the dearer kibbles so there shouldn't be much of a difference.

I started out on NatureDiet, which she liked. However, being a fussy dog she did end up getting bored of it and now won't go near it. I tried her on Wainright's and couldn't believe my eyes, she loves it :shades:. I am staying one step ahead of her though, as I know she could get bored - so every now and then I swap her onto Lukullus or Lily's Kitchen for a while.

I was always really wary of chopping and changing her food - but I've since realised that she couldn't get any more fussy if she tried :lol2: so our present set up suits us.

Wet food is becoming more and more appealing to me!  I'd love to actually feed Molly and see her enjoy it, rather than turn her nose up!  Do you use the trays of wainwrights?  If so, how much does Brodie get per day?
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »

Wet food is becoming more and more appealing to me!  I'd love to actually feed Molly and see her enjoy it, rather than turn her nose up!  Do you use the trays of wainwrights?  If so, how much does Brodie get per day?

Yes it's the trays I get her - she gets around half a tray a day, I think. I tend to go on how she looks, and since she has been on steroids recently she is getting less food than normal... The amount recommended does seem very little at first, but she has never complained (except when on the steroids when she turned into a mini horse!)

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »
I had exactly the same with Penny. She never liked the kibble and I had to put all sorts of things onto it to get hermto eat it. We've gone over to the Nature Diet or Wainwright's trays and she snarfs it all up in moments and there's never any left for Jonny to finish (i'm trying to feed him less, so had to watch them all the time thwy were eating incase he ate hers).

Now I only use kibble in a treat ball, when for some reason she's happy to eat it. She eats a tray of Nature diet a day with a couple of handfuls of kibble in the treat ball. She gets the occasional chicken wing or lamb rib at lunchtime as well. So far so good.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a fussy devil  :005: thanks for all your advice!

I think I'll have to look it to wet/raw just didn't want to as it seemed more expensive/more effort  ph34r because she's obviously not enjoying this kibble.

Wainwrights for Archie works out at 56p a day. I buy boxes of 12 in mixed flavours.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »
Forgot to say that he has 3/4 tray a day or 2/3 if he gets a bone to chew in the evening!

Offline flower1

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »
Lots of places will send you a sample if you are a bit cheeky and ask  :005:
Lucy (28.5.1997-11.05.2010) & Toby (6.2.2010) :luv:

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
Charlie didn't like the nature diet, just the wainwrights, but for wainwrights he had about half to 2/3 of a tray per day.

Thanks, was this is he had all day, i.e no kibble or raw?  I like the look of wainwrights!

Yup, just that. Very occasionally he'd have a whole tray, butthat isa very occasionally. He leaves food in his bowl, so you can tell when he is full. Pets at Home sell both nature diet and wainwrights by the tray so you can just try one or two to begin with without spending a fortune. apologies about my sperling I'm on my phone and its being useful and keep hiding what I've written!
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »
Ollie is a fussy eater and won't eat Kimble, he is raw fed but still fussy. He will NOT eat meat from any other supplier but his usual one. Tonight I gave him his tea ( meat that he usually enjoys) he turned his nose up! Why because there was a cooked chicken on the side and he wanted that!!! He was told in no uncertain terms that he was getting nothing else! He has eaten his own dinner but is now sulking!
He can suit himself (little monkey)
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Cheeky Ollie, can't blame him for trying though can you  :005: :005:

Thanks for all your help everyone!  Molly has actually scoffed her kibble tonight, probably because she's starving!  I'll see how she goes but will definitely be taking a trip to PAH  :D
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline **purpleprincess**

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »
Adding salmon oil or hot water to Luca's kibble has enticed him to eat his. I sometimes add a bit of sardines to it and mix it all up.
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline JulieM

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 09:45:55 PM »
Florie was really fussy with her first kibble. We tried Burns and she loves it- might be worth trying a different brand.

We tried Barking Heads but it didn't suit Florie's tummy. However, if you go on their facebook page/ call them they'll send you a few free samples.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »
I've also noticed the last 2 mornings (coincidence - probably) but Charlie has seemed more interested in his Wainwrights. He's been getting raw for his tea, and Wainwrights for breakfast. I'd like to stick to this if he keeps it up :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Yvonne

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »
Riley is another one that was refusing to eat kibble, even though I tried to make it a bit more appetising for him.  I really didn't want to feed him wet food but after looking into different foods tried him on Nature Diet and he loves it. He gets a tray a day plus I give him a small handful of JWB on the top which he sometimes eats but often spits it out on to the floor! Their guidelines say he should have 1-2 trays a day but one is enough for him. There are a few flavours to choose from and he likes them all apart from the fish one.. I'm just so glad he now enjoys his food as he was sometimes going days eating nothing and living on fresh air!

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »
teal was on Skinners and she would eat it a bit at a time,in fact we were just topping up the dish and she ate when she wanted. no problem with this as her weight was perfect according to the vet but I really like to see a dog enjoy eating so we have switched to nature diet what a difference we now have an excited dog every meal time
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly