Author Topic: Puppy runs over to see other dogs/people  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Teddy2019

Puppy runs over to see other dogs/people
« on: April 16, 2020, 12:09:35 PM »
Hi all,

Teddy our 10month old cocker is usually great off the lead and will always return to the whistle and mostly to a ‘come here’ command even if seeing another dog. However, recently he has decided he wants to run over to any person or dog he sees in the distance. I have been using a long line now for about 3 weeks. So as soon as he sees a person or dog I shout him or whistle and wait for him to come back then praise him and give him a treat. He responds really well to it however I tried him off his lead today and he ran straight over to a person with a dog and wouldn’t come back. Any ideas on how I can stop this or Shall I keep persevering with the long line.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Puppy runs over to see other dogs/people
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
Hi! Sounds like Teddy‘s doing really well but a solid recall when there‘s a distraction needs practice. Basically, whatever the distraction is, you need to be more exciting!  - I would continue with the long lead,  and as soon as Teddy spots another person, dog or whatever, call or whistle, turn around and walk quickly or run and in the direction you‘ve just come from, encouraging  him to follow you. Try and put lots of excitement into your voice. As soon as he reaches you, reward him with something really special, vary  the treats and keep a few  „Jackpot“ treats for when he does really well. A game or favourite toy can also be used as a reward.
Once he‘s reliable on lead, you can start practising off lead. A general tip - when you call or whistle, don‘t stand facing him full on, better to stand side on or facing the opposite direction.
Best of luck!  ;)

Offline Barry H

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but Jack (show type) is now 5 - and his recall training is STILL ongoing despite following all the advice and reading all the books and putting in the required effort. I use either voice or whistle if he's out of sight.  I'd say he's 95% reliable.  The other 5% is usually when he gets the red mist - which is unpredictable and therefore mission impossible!  He can be great for six months every day then suddenly he'll head for another dog (or the hills) if he's in the mood.  Despite all the work, I've learned to accept it may never get better, so I live with it.  It's back on the lead if there are potential 'distractions' or I watch him like a hawk, especially if he's nose down and breaks into a fast trot...

His growing up made the biggest difference to him 'getting it' but I used a long line for training for about a year with no off lead at all, so keep going till you're about as certain as you can be that pooch will come to you when called.  Cockers can be faultless one day and then have a 'sod you' attitude the next which makes training so frustrating.  Hope you have better luck than I've had!

PS I've put him back on the long line for the duration of the lockdown.  There are lots more people and dogs about than usual.  Don't want any 'adventures'!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 02:15:34 PM »
Keep in mind that recall training, like all training, needs to progress gradually. Starting with getting a reliable recall without distractions, then with distractions in the distance, then distractions closer. Maybe find a place to practice where you can see dogs or people in the distance, but still hold the dogs attention.

And until recall is reliable, never use the recall command unless you know the dog is going to obey. Every time you use the command and the dog ignores it, the recall becomes more like a suggestion than a command. And you want it to be something that is so practised that coming on recall is automatic, not something the dog has to consider. So in the beginning of any level of training I would take the very good advise from bizzilizzy and make yourself interesting. When the dog is already on it's way towards you, then you can use the recall word. That way the command will be more reliable in the future :)

Keep training, remember to make the rewards high value. Favourite treats may not be enough to compete with the world around you. You may have to use tug toys or wrestling or running and playing with your dog. The sillier you get, the more fun you are for the dog to obey. And when you have practiced enough you won't need to make a show every time.

10 months is very young still and you will probably need to train for months yet before recall is perfect. In the meantime, the long line is a helpful tool in areas where you need to be in control. Try to find places where you can train without a longline too, somewhere safe :)

Another good tip is to remember to recall and release, recall should not mean end of fun every time. So getting the dog to give you attention and come on recall, then rewarding by letting him run to other people or dogs is helpful. Maybe best to do this with someone who knows you are training and will not let their dogs come to close and disturb the recall.

Good luck and have fun!

Edit: Just noticed you wrote that he had good recall and recently started "forgetting". So you probably know all the things I wrote :009: Thought I'd add a well done and keep going! They get a little forgetful in that age, but when they get older and hormones settle they usually remember how to behave again  :005:

Offline Teddy2019

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 03:34:43 PM »
Thanks for all your points of view. If there is no dogs about he will always come to the whistle he even chased peasants and came straight back to the whistle which was good he just seems to like running to other dog’s which is not what we want. I will keep with the long lead and use the advice you have given me.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »
I‘m hoping you meant pheasants!   :lol2: