Author Topic: Help re: handstripping  (Read 4435 times)

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Re: Help re: handstripping
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »
ok then , you have been warned  :005:,
here is my hairy monster melody ( does she look like a cocker or a poodle  :005:)
as you can see she was a little bit shy at having her photo taken, can't blame her though  :o :005:
louis mum i'll post some more of melody on puppies, and hope i have'nt bored anyone with her pic/s.
:luv:

Awww look at her.  :luv: She is still gorgeous though.  :luv: Ok Alfie isnt quite sporting the poodle look  :005: but I think he still looks messy.

We need Jaspersmum to do a makeover on them both with her photo software, if she can remove plant life from ears she can get rid of topknots and ugly facial hair.  :005:

Terri I will stop complaining now about how long it will take me to do Alfie, you look like you have got 12 months of work to get through there.  :005:

BTW photobucket is playing up  >:( as soon as I can load a pic I will, promise.   ;)

jarbaha

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »
ok then , you have been warned  :005:,
here is my hairy monster melody ( does she look like a cocker or a poodle  :005:)
as you can see she was a little bit shy at having her photo taken, can't blame her though  :o :005:
louis mum i'll post some more of melody on puppies, and hope i have'nt bored anyone with her pic/s.
:luv:

Awww look at her.  :luv: She is still gorgeous though.  :luv: Ok Alfie isnt quite sporting the poodle look  :005: but I think he still looks messy.

We need Jaspersmum to do a makeover on them both with her photo software, if she can remove plant life from ears she can get rid of topknots and ugly facial hair.  :005:

Terri I will stop complaining now about how long it will take me to do Alfie, you look like you have got 12 months of work to get through there.  :005:

BTW photobucket is playing up  >:( as soon as I can load a pic I will, promise.   ;)

yes told you melody was hairy, the hair is not coming at all at present,maybe beacuse she is a solid  :005: :luv:
12 months oh great, me thinks longer, :005:.
still i'm sure all the hard work & effort, she will evenutually be transformed, well i can believe in miracles  :lol2:

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 07:11:59 PM »

louismum I have a pup, the first I have attempted to trim properly.  I found that for a few months after I started to handstrip her it took ages, and I seemed to spend most of my 'spare time' plucking  ::) .  She is now 9 months and I seem to have got on top of it and it doesnt take as long anymore (possibly I managed to tame her hair a bit, and also I got better at plucking?).  In my limited experience it does get easier as they get older :blink:

So really I need to persevere, thanks sportsmonki, I think I need all the encouragement I can get at the moment. I am a little distracted with a looming interview at the moment, as soon as it is out of the way I will concentrate 100% on the hairy monster.  :005: I just keep thinking in another couple of weeks he will be like an afghan  :005:

Yes, like Michele also said...keep going with it and eventually you will get there  :D 

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 07:46:43 PM »

louismum I have a pup, the first I have attempted to trim properly.  I found that for a few months after I started to handstrip her it took ages, and I seemed to spend most of my 'spare time' plucking  ::) .  She is now 9 months and I seem to have got on top of it and it doesnt take as long anymore (possibly I managed to tame her hair a bit, and also I got better at plucking?).  In my limited experience it does get easier as they get older :blink:

So really I need to persevere, thanks sportsmonki, I think I need all the encouragement I can get at the moment. I am a little distracted with a looming interview at the moment, as soon as it is out of the way I will concentrate 100% on the hairy monster.  :005: I just keep thinking in another couple of weeks he will be like an afghan  :005:

Yes, like Michele also said...keep going with it and eventually you will get there  :D 

I have just posted a few pics on Terri's thread in puppies showing Alfies facial hair. I will persevere and just be very patient I think, Looking at Terris Melody I have got a small job to contend with.  :005:

jarbaha

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »

I have just posted a few pics on Terri's thread in puppies showing Alfies facial hair. I will persevere and just be very patient I think, Looking at Terris Melody I have got a small job to contend with.  :005:
thanks for that louis mum  :lol2:, but i think you are right, you will have a much smaller and easier task in doing alfie  :luv:, than i have with melody  :005:

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 09:20:22 PM »

thanks for that louis mum  :lol2:, but i think you are right, you will have a much smaller and easier task in doing alfie  :luv:, than i have with melody  :005:

:005: I do feel rather silly now for getting stressed at Alfies untidy face after seeing the work you have Terri. My last boy was black and looked just like Melody at that age,  :luv: good job I didnt attempt to strip him eh, it would put me off for eternity.  :005:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 12:47:12 AM »
I have just posted a few pics on Terri's thread in puppies showing Alfies facial hair.

Just saw the pics  :luv: That's not too bad, I'd use thinning shears on his Fu Manchu  :005: That should tidy him up nicely.  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 12:56:41 AM »
I have just posted a few pics on Terri's thread in puppies showing Alfies facial hair.

Just saw the pics  :luv: That's not too bad, I'd use thinning shears on his Fu Manchu  :005: That should tidy him up nicely.  :shades:

:rofl1: :rofl1: at the Fu Manchu.  :lol2: What a description.  :005:

Now the question is which thinners to buy.  :huh: I looked the other day and saw a pair that were £100. I dont mind paying it if they do the job better (and make it easier for me a complete novice). Sorry to you all for me being a complete pain with my constant questions.  ph34r :005:

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 01:06:08 AM »

Blimey - £100 ?  :o You can get a good enough pair for just over £30. For a Cocker you want the 46 tooth. Roseline ones are excellent, as well as them I've got a slightly cheaper pair made by Gotta that are just as good - have a look at the grooming equipment sticky for links for places to buy.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008, 01:25:48 AM »

Blimey - £100 ?  :o You can get a good enough pair for just over £30. For a Cocker you want the 46 tooth. Roseline ones are excellent, as well as them I've got a slightly cheaper pair made by Gotta that are just as good - have a look at the grooming equipment sticky for links for places to buy.

Roselines are excellent, I've got a pair. You won't go far wrong with a pair of 46 tooth Roselines  :shades: My experience with thinners is that you do need to spend a bit for good quality. While you go cheaper on straight scissors and not notice a big difference, not so with thinners. :-\
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2008, 06:57:11 AM »

That was were I found this pair Colin, Denzadog from the link.  :005: My thoughts were do I just pay out the extra now and hopefully make life easier for myself in the long run or buy another cheaper pair that I will want to replace later on.  :huh: Even if it turns out showing Alfie doesnt work out I still want to make every effort to keep him looking as he should and at his best. Plus I am a shopping fiend.   ph34r :005: I am a bit like a magpie Colin.  :lol2:

Roselines are excellent, I've got a pair. You won't go far wrong with a pair of 46 tooth Roselines  :shades: My experience with thinners is that you do need to spend a bit for good quality. While you go cheaper on straight scissors and not notice a big difference, not so with thinners. :-\

Do you think these would be appropriate then Spanielcrazy?

http://www.dezynadog.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=210

or these, cheaper plus poor Colin or the OH wont have a hooley at the price.  :005: (Sorry Colin)  :005:

http://www.dezynadog.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=240

Thanks.  :D

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »
louis mum, do you live near to Dezynadog, or one of the other grooming suppliers?  Most have stores, so you can go in and see/handle things.  Other than that there are usually stands selling grooming equipment at champ shows and some of the open shows, so if one is near to you you could go there?  I am still saving up for a really good pair of thinning scissors, but I found going to a grooming suppliers and looking at the thinners that were within my budget at the time I was able to find a pair I found comfortable and am happy with.

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 09:21:09 PM »
My thinners arrived.  :D And within ten minutes I have cut my finger.  :lol2: Not a good look for Alfie sporting his mummys blood.  ph34r :005:

Blimey I cannot believe how sharp they are.  :o I am worried carrying on doing him now in case I cut him.  ph34r

Offline BabyB

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2008, 11:45:14 AM »
Terri, she is absolutely beautiful  :luv:
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind