Author Topic: Pictures of Clipped Cockers Please?  (Read 9561 times)

Offline fr1day

Pictures of Clipped Cockers Please?
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »
I'm finally to the point of considering clipping my female. I always swore I wouldn't when we first got her, but we had her spayed back in July and it's now getting harder and harder to keep her looking nice. I'm still a bit hesitant cause I don't want her to look like a shorn sheep, and my OH keeps insisting we should just stick to the Coat King, but of course he doesn't do any of the grooming  ;)

So I was wondering if people would post photos of their cockers(s) that are clipped? I always wonder when I see photos people have posted on here whether or not they're hand-stripped or clipped. Might also help me convince the OH that even if we clip our girl she won't end up looking like a naked mole rat!

Thanks in advance, I'm so looking forward to the photos!

Offline aliceandlouis

Re: Pictures of Clipped Cockers Please?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:01:10 AM »
This link shows a couple of pictures of Alice, a spayed girlie who has been clipped on her back, but retains feathering on legs, tummy and ears.  I personally think it has been done sensitively and she still looks like a Cocker.  I take her to someone who breeds and shows cockers who is happy to clip her for me and clearly understands the breed and the 'look' I want to preserve.  I find that with her clipped out like this I only need comb her through thoroughly every other day to keep matts at bay and make her comfortable.  HTH.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=64690.msg942441#msg942441

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
This is Jeff just after I clipped him properly for the first time myself with my Christmas Andis 2 speeds  :D

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 11:51:45 AM »
Here's William :luv:

He's castrated, which ruined his previously silky coat. After battling with thinning scissors, coat king and a little bit of clipping for several years I finally gave in and had him partly clipped a couple of years ago by a lady who shows, breeds and grooms Cockers.

In the photo the feathering on the backs of his front legs looks a bit short to me, so I keep it a bit longer now. I take him to the groomer every 6 months for a proper tidy up (I'm rubbish at doing paws) and a bath. In between times I use clippers and thinners to tidy him up and it's a lot less effort than before he was clipped.

What colour is your girl? If she's roan her clipped areas will end up looking a bit spotty, but the look will depend on how much roaning she has and what colour. William is more white than roan so it doesn't notice much on him.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
Jeff  :luv:  :luv:  :luv:
William  :luv:  :luv:  :luv:

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 02:03:50 PM »
I got clippers for Christmas  :blink: AND I'm just gunna have my second go trimming Holly this afternoon  :D I was quite impressed with my first go although I found doing her feet really really difficult.

Will post a photo...depending how she looks  :shades:

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »
I'll try and find a photo of Charlie clipped. My groomer (who is his and Dexter's breeder) clips his back and head, trims and tidys his legs, feet, feathers, tail and ears, so he still looks like a cocker - just a very tidy one  :luv:

I will probably get her to hand strip Dexter, his coat has always been much softer and silkier, and he loves being brushed.
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 02:37:54 PM »

He's castrated, which ruined his previously silky coat.

How old was he when he was castrated? Toby is now 1 and has a silky coat and I know when to have him done?

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 02:46:40 PM »
Brodie's coat has been terrible since she was spayed and the older she gets the worse it is :o. There is just so much of it and it grows extremely fast. She has to get clipped every six weeks, and has to be done quite short otherwise by the time she's ready for her next clip she's a matted mess.

Here she is not long after a clip:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »
Well...went a bit mad with the clippers  :005: holly has such tickly feet it's impossible!  ph34r (well its not impossible the groomers she use to go to manage) I need to work on a technique & get some thinning scissors  :005:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150476862970989&l=f574ab79af

It's not so bad.... :police: don't you all start humming 'Shaun the sheep'  :005:

(bath time tomorrow)   :blink:

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »
@Holly2009: Wow, her lashes are to die for! Sooooo pretty I didn't even notice her coat, lol!  :luv:
To know them is to love them.....

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 05:04:36 PM »
@Holly2009: Wow, her lashes are to die for! Sooooo pretty I didn't even notice her coat, lol!  :luv:
Hee hee oh good! Can't be that bad then  :005: yeah her eye lashes are crazy, I trimmed about 2cm off them today ((think its ok for my second go, had enough hair to make another Holly with))  :blink:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »

He's castrated, which ruined his previously silky coat.

How old was he when he was castrated? Toby is now 1 and has a silky coat and I know when to have him done?

William was castrated at 15 months because he had a retained testicle which was in a really tricky place (somewhere up near a kidney :o). His coat stayed fairly silky for about 6 to 9 months afterwards but then became impossible to hand strip.

If he hadn't been testicularly challenged :005: I wouldn't have had him castrated.

Offline louisedi

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 06:36:25 PM »
I would have only had the retained one removed, then his coat would not have been affected, my friend, had this done with her male, a few yrs ago know

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
This is Ruby a couple of years ago....Before

And after

That was her first ever clip and i wasn't that keen on it,her fluffy head is my fault though,i couldn't bring myself to let the groomer do it  ph34r
We have changed groomers now,and i keep her really short,i have even parted with "most" of her eyelashes and her fluffy head  :shades:

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.