Author Topic: Trimming The Top Of The Ears  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Trimming The Top Of The Ears
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 10:13:31 PM »
 :o
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 01:00:11 PM »
sorry - what I meant was I am horrified because it is not what I am used to, the thought of so much trimming with thinners and no handstripping.....just feels very odd, I didn't mean it makes them look funny!

Your ES looks beautiful.

Just seen this thread - why are you horrified that they trim English setters with thinners ?  they don't trim everywhere - feet, ears, throat, and shoulders should be all you do (ears are very tricky) - perhaps tidy up the tail with a straight end - but there should be no trimming of body fur or tummy feathers, or chest or leg feathers... :lol:   here is a pic of my girl last summer when she was all looking pretty for a show... I find it far far easier grooming her than I do my show strain cocker !

[snapback]119957[/snapback]
[/quote]
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 01:10:24 PM »
No jane, I didn't mean to sound so general, there are plenty of cocker folk whos cockers ears look lovely when trimmed, including Ruby ;-) I was not speaking for ALL cockers I have seen... just the majority - sorry.

I also do not clip tops of ears on oranges and I find livers are the same, it changes the colour of the coat and looks horrible. My blues have previously been clipped but I am going to try and use thinners from now on I think and see if I can get a better finish, perhaps I am doing it wrong or just need more practice.

Pity there aren't any trimming workshops where we can go and watch how it's done, I know other breeds have events like this. I have only ever been shown by one breeder and to be honest I don't think I was shown correctly....and I feel the trimming video uses the thinners far too often.....JMHO

Perhaps we could use such an event to raise some money for the FN Fund....I wonder if Sandy would be willing to help with such an event?

There are more cocker people that clip throats and ears than I think Jane realises??????

I find that where cockers have been stripped on their ears, people are not able to take enough hair off and it spoils the natural ear set...JMHO.
[snapback]118020[/snapback]
No Louise, I'm well aware that there are exhibitors who clip the ears & necks of their Cockers but none of the top breeders I respect & admire do ;) I have judged dogs whose ears have plainly been clipped - I don't like the affect personally as it's too severe but if the dog is better than others in the class, it will win because you're judging the dog not the trimming - it doesn't mean I have to like it though :lol: I also don't agree with you that if you strip the ears, you can't take enough hair off which spoils the ear set. If you look at my avatar, I don't think you could criticise Ruby's ear set & her ears have been stripped, not clipped or scissored ;) I could also name you any number of other top winners whose ears are stripped & again, there's nothing wrong with their ear sets. I guess in the end it comes down to the skill of the groomer & whether the coat lends itself to stripping or not - if it doesn't then a good groomer should be able to use thinners & not resort to clippers. Just my opinion of course - we shall have to agree to differ on this subject :)

Jane
[snapback]118032[/snapback]
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 02:44:51 PM »
Your right, to much thinning on Liver ears does make them go silvery  :huh:
Cocker Club of Scotland did a Breed Seminar (with Sandy Platt) and a trimming workshop with Wilma Reid last year, think it was around June.
I know that some of the other breed clubs do similar seminars, hopefully someone might have more info for you. I think the thing with trimming is that everyone seems to do it different and it finding the best way for you that achieves the best results, I struggle along but my grooming leaves alot to be desired  :(

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 05:01:40 PM »
I think the quality of scissors also makes a huge difference - I've been using my "reserve" scissors this week as my good ones have gone off to be sharpened & the finish is nowhere near as nice as with my better scissors. As Gilly says, everyone does things differently anyway - I've been to quite a few Grooming seminars over the years & some people use scissors a heck of a lot more than I would whereas others stick more to the traditional methods.

Jane
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 06:15:53 PM »
So what scissors?? I know this varies widely to. At the moment I have:

Roseline Single Sided thinners.
Fischer Straight for feet.
Fischer Double sided thinners. Now I know I shouldn't use these  :ph34r: but I actually quite like them, not sure I'd use them for a show dog but they work well instead of clippers on a pet.

Offline sashal

• Site Member
    • http://www.sashal.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 09:25:47 PM »
I don't think you could criticise Ruby's ear set & her ears have been stripped, not clipped or scissored

I'm a big fan of Ruby she has a beautiful head  :D

Being involved in my main breed where virtually all coat work is handstripping I do think it gives a much better effect. I find I have to scissor the top of our Blue Roans ear's but with Millie the Chocolate Roan I am able to strip it all down to give a typical earset. Of course I don't have anywhere near the experience of a lot of Cocker people in grooming but I do think it looks much better.
I have heard of people clippering necks but I just thin them.

I'm not very happy with my thinning scissors as they don't seem to get close enough. What make has everyone else got?

Alex
Sashal GWPs & Cocker Spaniels
www.sashal.co.uk