Author Topic: Are these good clippers?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline princeypot

Are these good clippers?
« on: November 16, 2016, 10:32:40 AM »
My puppy is only 5 months so probably not quite ready for a clip but when he does need a haircut I'm hoping I can learn to DIY and I saw these clippers on offer on amazon's daily deal...does anyone know if they're any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acxeon-Rechargeable-Cordless-Trimmer-Grooming/dp/B019DLG578/ref=gbps_tit_s-5_2fad_0146f055?smid=A7HVELL9IPQ0S&pf_rd_p=3ccda400-978f-4966-8484-6675089f2fad&pf_rd_s=slot-5&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=GTP00CNSEKZ9G4H0FRXG

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Are these good clippers?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 12:00:13 PM »
Don't have experience with the clippers I'm afraid but are you sure you do actually want to clip him?
You may already have researched it, so if I'm telling you something you already know, then aplogogies and don't read any further... ;). Clipping the coat all over will change the texture and can also, possibly, make it thicker and wavier which can be harder to manage and once its been done a few times, its not reverseable and will probably always have to be clipped. A lot of us have our cockers handstripped (you can also learn to it yourself, although I haven't tried it yet myself). Dogs that have been castrated often have to be clipped aswell as the coat also changes making handstripping a problem. I'm not an expert, there are others on here than can maybe explain it better, I just didn't want you to rush out and buy clippers and then regret it afterwards!
Would love to see pictures of your little one, - what's his/her name?

Offline princeypot

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 05:12:41 PM »
Thank you for the info. I didn't know clipping would affect his coat irreversibly!!
I thought I was supposed to clip him

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 08:58:16 AM »
If you do decide to go down the clipping route (or have to in the future), it is worth saving up and investing in a decent pair of clippers (good makes are Andis, Oster, Heiniger, Wahl etc). The Amazon clippers are super cheap so will not last long - they may work for a while, especially on easy coats but it's unlikely they would be suitable for heavier coats. Clippers like these can seem like a bargain compared to the costs of a good brand of clippers but as with everything, you get what you pay for  ;)
Jane

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 01:45:52 PM »
I agree with Jane, a good pair of clippers is so worth the money.  I bought Andis clippers that cost about £120, but I have only needed to buy two pairs in the past 10 years, and if you worked out the cost of a clip every couple of months you soon get your money back.

We have always clipped Ben really short, as it suited his lifestyle of being out in the mud and swimming most days, summer and winter it made him easier to get dry afterwards.  Now he is getting on we let his coat get longer as he is not getting as grotty.  However I love to see a cocker with a 'proper' coat and decided I would not clip my next cocker, but Harry was a rescue and came to us clipped really short and he had been castrated. I tried to let his coat grow out but the texture was just a woolly mess so he is clipped too, but we leave him with more feathery legs, ears and tail so he looks more cocker like! 

Offline lescef

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:24:40 PM »
I have the Andis two speed clippers. They have paid for themselves after what would have been three trips to the groomers.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 05:49:53 PM »
I agree invest in a known brand as above and they will soon repay you. I have had an andis super 2 speed for many years and the only thing that has needed replacing is the cord and I used to work as a groomer, so they have groomed many dogs of many different coat types as well as my own cockers. I now have a cordless Heiniger too, which are more expensive,  but it's lovely not to have the cord and they are light and quiet. My recommendation though for decent clippers for a reasonable price for home use would be the Andis. I love my Heiniger, but the andis are great workhorses. :)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx