Author Topic: Hi, new to everything!  (Read 1134 times)

Offline milliemoo80

Hi, new to everything!
« on: December 05, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
Hi...  I'm a new puppy owner, we have had our lovely golden working cocker spaniel bitch since she was 8 weeks old, in August.   She is now over 5 months old!   Just one of the family.  So, just thought id say hi... I welcome any advice and I'm sure ill be asking many questions....   this is new to me and my family and so far we have had a bumpy ride but we will get there! x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Hi, new to everything!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 01:00:28 PM »
Hi Milliemoo and welcome to the family!! This is a great place for cocker questions, so fire ahead, there's always someone here with some advice! Its kept me (reasonably 😉) sane since Humphrey came along. We just looooooove pictures on here, so would love to see your little golden girl!
Looking forward to updates!

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 01:28:12 PM »
Hi!  My boy is 8 months old now, and I'm definitely feeling that the bumps are diminishing!  He's settling down nicely. So I hope yours does too.  Photos are mandatory on this forum by the way! 😄

Offline milliemoo80

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 02:18:03 PM »
Thanks, ill need to figure out how to add photos!! Shes certainly a diva, we are struggling with her biting though... play biting is fair enough, but when she wrinkles her nose and really isn't happy, she really hurts when she bites.  So far we are putting her into a pen that doubles up as a stair gate (although waste of time as she can shove her way past it) and ignoring her.  its slow progress however... we have only just cracked the toilet issue too.... still having the odd accident but it seems to have taken such a long time.  We are a busy family, I have 3 children, my eldest will be 15 soon, he has aspergers syndrome and my twins are 7, so millie is within a busy house and a lot of the time being pestered by the kids!!   If I can make them understand that she needs to rest, then I reckon that's half the biting battle... not easy expecially with the 7 year olds, and also this time of year, when everyone is hyper!! 

Mills is a lovely dog, shes very clever and over social, tends to want to jump and play with every human and animal she comes across. Not trusted her off the lead yet, but she is desperate to get off it... she nearly pulls me over when she runs on the extender lead!!   

Ill go and see if I can put on a photo!!

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 04:41:34 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
I have a 16 month old worker called Millie and they really are a super breed, very affectionate but also very full on dogs. They never stop.
Just a word of warning though, be careful with extending leads as workers can go from 0 to 60 on the blink of an eye and could hurt themselves if brought to an abrupt halt, especially if wearing a collar and not a harness.
I'm looking forward to seeing some pics.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 04:56:47 PM »
hi and welcome.
We not only offer advice, a sympathetic ear but we offer general chit chat  if you ever get " down time".
  She is in a busy household and might be getting a tad over tired. Instead of taking themselves to bed they carry on playing and get mardy and bitey. remember the Terrible twos with your kiddees. If you think she is getting passed the " its not fun anymore" time, put her to bed with a toy or kong to amuse herself. Toilet training can not be rushed. . She will get there in her own time, we just have to keep loving and cleaning up.

On lead they can pull like a train, is amazing were they get the strength from. Let her have a run on the extender but regularly pull her back to your side and keep nudging her close to your leg using the command "close" ( or heel).  Bear in mind the 5 min of walks per month old.
Just remember she is still a puppy with a half empty head  :005: The half that still needs filling with info is pretty thick  :005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----