Author Topic: The difference is amazing !!  (Read 1336 times)

Offline Ernies mum

The difference is amazing !!
« on: October 05, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »
Ernie is now over 2 years old & although I've constantly preservered with loose lead walking , there are odd times when he still pulls . I've always been skeptical about using harnesses or headcollars but after suffering with a bad back a friend of mine recommended the halti front fastening harness , so I decided to give it a go .... I'm amazed by the difference !!!  Ernie happily walks by my side , no pulling & having to stop & remind him to walk next to me . My only regret is that I didn't get one months ago !!

Offline princeypot

Re: The difference is amazing !!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 05:03:56 PM »
Interesting.
I might look it up for Prince. I was making progress teaching him to walk on a lead but due to illness I can't take him for walks atm and dh gets extremely annoyed taking him for walks as he pulls so much

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 05:51:19 PM »
One of the arguments I've seen against the Halti is the fact it constricts the front shoulder and legs. Some positive behaviourlists classify it as an aversive. That may be an extreme view, though, and if Ernie is walking by your side it's not putting pressure on his joints.

I don't think I'd use one on a puppy, though. Even the Walk Your Dog with Love harness affects their natural gait a little.   
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 06:14:57 PM »
we used a Canny Collar on Gemma.  goes round the neck same as a normal collar with a extra bit over the nose. beauty of these is you can it as a normal collar. with gemma when she was walking nicey we removed the nose band and easily  replaced it when needed while still attached to her lead .  Stopped her pulling.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 08:42:27 PM »
I can't see how the halti restricts shoulder or leg movements as it's a head collar based on the same control as a horse bridle but I don't know enough about canine anatomy to say that is true or false and I've not heard of that before. I have heard people suggest they are not good for the dog but in some cases, when you risk injury to yourself and have exhausted all forms of training then there isn't much choice. 

We had to resort to halti with Bonnie as her 14kg pulling seriously hurt my shoulders and caused severe back pain. Whilst I'd say Bonnie is happier without the halti,  she is always fine, sniffs as much as normal and walks without causing us injury. As the majority of Bonnie's walks are off lead, I don't see it as a bad thing at all. She has it on for a maximum of 10 minutes before she gets let's off, has a good hour and more running around, then 10 minutes back home with it on. She also has a walk without any lead at all most days as well because OH takes her to the woods in the car. I would say that if it's mainly street walks with no off lead time then I'd probably be more averse to using it.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 08:55:05 PM »
I can't see how the halti restricts shoulder or leg movements as it's a head collar based on the same control as a horse bridle but I don't know enough about canine anatomy to say that is true or false and I've not heard of that before. I have heard people suggest they are not good for the dog but in some cases, when you risk injury to yourself and have exhausted all forms of training then there isn't much choice. 

We had to resort to halti with Bonnie as her 14kg pulling seriously hurt my shoulders and caused severe back pain. Whilst I'd say Bonnie is happier without the halti,  she is always fine, sniffs as much as normal and walks without causing us injury. As the majority of Bonnie's walks are off lead, I don't see it as a bad thing at all. She has it on for a maximum of 10 minutes before she gets let's off, has a good hour and more running around, then 10 minutes back home with it on. She also has a walk without any lead at all most days as well because OH takes her to the woods in the car. I would say that if it's mainly street walks with no off lead time then I'd probably be more averse to using it.

The Halti Front Fastening Harness that Ernies Mum referred to (if I'm looking at the right one) isn't a head harness, it has a strap that goes across the chest.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 09:11:04 PM »
Quote from: Londongirl link=topic=117623.msg1696912#msg1696912

The Halti Front Fastening Harness that Ernies Mum referred to (if I'm looking at the right one) isn't a head harness, it has a strap that goes across the chest.

Oh, I've never seen one of those before, I didn't even know they did others. We use the original head collar halti that's why I couldn't understand the suggestion that it affects the shoulders. Thanks for the info xx

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 09:31:41 PM »
I think the main thing with all  of these harnesses is ensuring that they really fit properly and that was where I found the halti to be a bit of a problem, I bought two sizes but still wasn't really happy. I then got the WYDWL harness, which seemed to work well for a while but then the small one became tight and the next size up seemed to slide around, there was matting all the time under Humphrey's legs which made me think it must be rubbing and when he started to back off every time I called him to go for a walk, I finally gave up and reverted to a normal collar. He's got a Ruffwear which I use when he's on the long lead as an abrupt stop at speed would probably cause neck injury but I have noticed he pulls much more with the harness than the collar. We train loose lead walking all the time, it is improving very slowly but is still very dependant on his surroundings and his " mood" I live in optimism that we will eventually crack it but its a long long road!!!  >:(

Offline AlanT

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 02:31:59 PM »
I am using WYDWL.  Huge difference to a collar.

I find this easy to fit and use. Simple and quick.

The other day I fastened to the collar by mistake and was immediately reminded what pulling was about.

We now stay on lead where previously I'd go off lead even if it was a little risky.

Mind you, mine will walk to heel almost perfectly off-lead. So the collar definitely encourages pulling.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 03:11:42 PM »
To be honest, I'm beginning to think the choice of lead is almost as important as the collar. I always raised my eyebows at my trainer when he kept telling me to keep the lead loose - I've always walked with lead in right hand, supported by left hand and the dog on my left but must admit it did encourage me to put tension on the lead. I've now  swapped the thick lead for a thinner, lighter elasticated one which I attach to the collar, which is also as loose as I dare have it and make a constant effort to relax myself and hold the lead as loosly as I can and keep my arm straight at my side, not extended.  It doesn't work all of the time and if Humphrey's distracted, he'll pull whatever I use, but the times when it does are becoming more frequent  and I praise and treat when he is walking nicely. Another good tip I had when pulling is really becoming unbearble, is to hold the lead in both hands and close to your body, - I use that when I'm standing somewhere and Humphrey decides he wants to be somewhere else!!  :005: