Author Topic: 2 year old poohing overnight  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Spanielcuddler

Re: 2 year old poohing overnight
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 03:37:43 PM »
thanks Jaysmumagain!  He has been ok on the chicken diet since a pup but who knows... maybe things change!  If it makes a difference it is worth doing. Our last dog, a border collie, had the fish based food from Burns and did very well on it.

Offline Spanielcuddler

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 05:45:15 PM »
OK we have been to the vet - anal glands were not that full but she emptied them.  (He has just had a poo now! LOL!)

She could not see why he might be poohing so much on the food and quantity he is on, but suggested we find a low residue wet food to change to.  We feed Forthglade which says it is 0.5% crude fibre.  We thought Burns wet food was low residue but it looks like only the dry Burns food is low in fibre, as the wet food Penlan Farm range is way higher fibre than Forthglade.

We need then, to read up some more on a suitable wet food to change him to and see if it makes a difference but to be honest, Forthglade is not that high in fibre to begin with!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 09:21:41 PM »
Best of luck! hope you've found the answer, a good night's sleep and a clean kitchen in the morning!!
Keep is posted!!

Offline Spanielcuddler

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 10:18:25 PM »
thanks bizzylizzie!  I hope so...!

Offline Spanielcuddler

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 10:06:19 PM »
Alas I cannot report that it was a clean kitchen overnight last night!

In fact there were four, yes FOUR piles of poo to pick up.  No doubt having his anal glands emptied may have had an effect on him, but even so... generally speaking so much seems to come out of the rear end - far more than goes in the front end during the day, LOL!

Just been out with him in the garden now, he will only have a wee, he absolutely refuses to do anything else and he hasnt done one since this morning so hey ho.... mopping up again tomorrow morning no doubt.  We are at our wits end with him and the vet didn't know what to suggest either.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 07:26:20 AM »
Just an afterthought - you don't think something outside has spooked him into not wanted to crouch down to make a poo ? (a vunerable position if there are ghosts and bogeymen out there). There was a thread on here earlier this year about a dog that suddenly refused to go outside in the dark.
We fixed up a  light in the garden for Humphrey - more for me than for him, so I could see where he is.  Wondered if a short walk last thing at night might move things along a bit?......
🤔

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 10:09:37 AM »
Funny BizzyLizzy is on my wavelength as I was wondering if it was the dark and also the cold nights.

As for low residue foods, think it is worth trying buying a few to try.  From what I understand it is between 50 -70 protein and veg or potato or veg and rice.  I would looked at this website https://www.naturediet.co.uk.

I get the standard wet food which is 60% meat or there is 60% fish, it list the rice veg etc on each type.  I dont buy direct just got two sensitive ones to try - stockists on there site.  Then there's a company called Lily's Kitchen that looks good, but to be honest the ease of getting Naturediet for me and the cost I get it at - and of course the other two main advantages of one happy cocker and one lighter shovel sway it.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 10:39:41 AM »
What was that about "great minds..." Julie?  :005: :005:

Offline Spanielcuddler

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »
Thanks bizzylizzy and jaysmumagain - he isn't bothered in the dark, he doesn't even mind fireworks.  So I don't think he is spooked out there. Good thought though! He never usually 'goes' when we are out on walks, he prefers to come home and do it!  Strange dog.... LOL.  Guess what though, it was a clean kitchen this morning!!

No logic to it whatsoever.  Thanks for the hint re the food - we have used NatureDiet in the past with other dogs.  Its fibre content though is higher than the one he is on (Forthglade) so that may count that one out.  Lilys Kitchen... that is so expensive... with two dogs to feed it would be very costly for us but we could try it I guess.    We shall explore all the food review sites again!

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 07:07:35 AM »
Hi, Try the Forthglade salmon and potato, no grains , no rice.Had endless problems with Rosie and taking Her off all grains was suggested by the vet, definately made a difference.She is also on ( or was now on local shops own make) Barking Heads kibble salmon and potato.A friend who is a dog trainer has a pup who wont poo out on walks at all, Her other dog wont use the garden , She has tried all sorts of things to get them to do both with no success lol.Good luck

Offline Spanielcuddler

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 11:16:32 AM »
Thanks Ambler54! That must be so annoying, one not going whilst on walks and one not going in the garden! LOL!

Thanks for your suggestion... we may well do that.  Actually, we had a second night last night when he didnt poo.... crossing fingers it goes on but it will no doubt return again. Obviously something going on within him, I don't think it is behavioural.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »
fingers crossed for another poop free night  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Spanielcuddler

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 08:51:44 AM »
thank you! We have now achieved three poop free nights since he had his anal glands done. They were not that full so we don't know if it's coincidence or not, but woo hoo!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2016, 11:05:47 AM »
 :banana: :banana:

Offline Spanielcuddler

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »
 :D