Author Topic: Marrow bones  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Marrow bones
« on: November 29, 2016, 01:12:27 PM »
Hi

I am thinking of giving Reese a bone once a week as a treat, for stimulation, help his teeth and because he is destroying all his toys. I am getting a bit confused with what's good for him. I read reports saying a raw marrow bone is good for them, then I read you shouldn't give them bones that carry weight. He is raw fed but mainly nutriment or luna and me so bones all ground up. What bones do others here feed to their dogs?

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Re: Marrow bones
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »
I think marrow bones, can be a bit hard for them, i give George and Hamish lamb necks and pork ribs from the butchers, which they both love  ;)
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline AlanT

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »
At my local farmers market, the lady that trades Beef from her family herd, has thigh-bone tops.
She also raises working Springers. Not for sale, they use them for shoots.

These thigh-bone tops work fine with my Cocker.

BUT MUST BE UNCOOKED.

and I supervise and sometimes even hold the end. I only allow about 15 mins per session.
One bone will maybe do three or four sessions.

This actually helped a lot with resource-guarding training.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »
The book I have on raw feeding recommends bones which don't carry weight and as far as possible from younger animals as thenolder they get the harder the bones become and can actually damage the teeth - I don't really know how you can determine the age though!
I give Humphrey chicken wings and chicken necks and occasionally he has an oxtail to chew on. I'm a bit of a wuss with anything else though after having an awful experience with my GSD about 40 years ago -admittedly it was probably my fault and was the wrong sort of bone but it very nearly killed him, so I'm a bit paranoid. I would always only give it under supervision though.
Humphrey has a wood root chewing block aswell.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 02:52:13 PM »
I give Blue a lamb shank occasionally in place of a meal, the meat disappears pretty quick, but the bone lasts him for weeks!
They are also a great distraction for him if we are out having a meal somewhere, I give him a lamb shank and he disappears under the table with it, keeps him quiet for ages.

Offline Maisiesmum

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 03:41:57 PM »
Sorry I can't give any advice but I'm interested in the answers as I give Maisie a small raw marrow bone once a week. She doesn't seem to have any negative effects from them and has hours of fun burying, digging up, burying, digging up.....you get the picture! Now I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing  >:(

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 10:00:56 AM »
Thank you all for your advice. Buzzy lizzy I am also a wuss when it comes to this which is why I buy complete raw but I do feel he is missing out on a good chew and like Alan says a good training opportunity. I really like the suggestions and think I will try something like the oxtail or turkey neck and see how he goes and then try something bigger that he needs to work at.  :D

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »
Ours get raw lamb or beef rib bones from the butcher as a weekly treat, or pork ribs whenever we're making a batch of sausages.

By the time they're finished there's nothing left but don't forget to keep an eye on them as the bones get smaller to make sure they don't become a choking problem.

Bob.