Author Topic: Mipet puppy food  (Read 7420 times)

Offline gizmo001i

Mipet puppy food
« on: December 01, 2016, 08:28:33 AM »
Hi, I have been feeding Bailey James Wellbeloved Lamb puppy kibble. The problem I have is that he doesn't seem all that bothered about it. He does end up eating most of it eventually, but he needs to be enticed a lot of the time. I give it to him with a little water to soften it up a bit for him. Before we got him, he was on Pets At Home puppy kibble, But I wanted to give him a better quality food. My vet has given me a free bag of Mipet Chicken and rice puppy kibble to try and I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of it. I have looked on the internet but can find very little information. I am a bit wary of using it as I have read that cockers can have problems with chicken based foods. Any advice will be very welcome. Many thanks Ian

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Mipet puppy food
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 12:12:01 PM »
Not a food I have heard of (vet probably getting commission on sales  ;) ) my two cockers are dogs that don't do that well on chicken it gives them soft to sloppy poos.

Mipet is not listed on Allaboutdogfood website, and they do have some pretty obscure ones on there,

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline gizmo001i

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 01:38:31 PM »
Cheers Mudmagnets, that's the exact problem I am having. I can't find anything about it apart from a lot of vets seem to be offering it, so as you say it is probably commission based. Also there is the chicken problem which is the main ingredient. Think I will persevere with the a James Wellbeloved seeing as he isn't loosing any weight lol.

Offline Maisiesmum

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:17:53 PM »
Is this it? Sorry just edited, I had a look at site and realised its pharma products only.....duh!!

http://www.mipet.com

Offline Maisiesmum

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 05:42:47 PM »
So....done a bit of sleuthing and its produced by CVS Group who are the largest vet group in the country (their words not mine). That explains why the vet gave it you! They produce pharmaceuticals for themselves as well.
As you say their is nothing about the actual food and just my opinion but I wouldn't feed it without knowing more about the content.

Offline gizmo001i

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 06:57:25 PM »
Exactly Maisesmum, which is why I asked here. Seeing as no one else knows anything about this, I think I will leave it and persevere with the good stuff. It's probably due to being changed over that is causing Bailey to eat slowly lol

Offline Mumof3

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 08:18:46 PM »
Mii pet food is supposedly made by the same company James wellbeloved. We're with a vets runs by cvs and got a free bag (not used yet as feeding canagans)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 10:10:03 PM »
I just went on the site in the link and found that these people make Milbeworm - and that is interesting as I was told that Milbeworm was a new name for Milbemax that I usually have for worming my dogs, looking at this, it may not be the case.  :o
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline gizmo001i

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 08:37:33 AM »
They do seem to make a lot of vet stuff like worming tablets and flea treatment

Offline j.edward321

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 09:31:34 AM »
My boy is the same with JWB, some days he'll wolf it down and other days he'll not want to touch it, he's just turned 1 now. We're moving him onto Millie's Wolfheart as it's a better quality food for the roughly the same price as JWB, also if you go on their website or give them a call they're really helpful about which kind of food your dog should be on. The review of JWB on allaboutdogfood.com says that it's a good quality food, but expensive for what it is, this is what was the final prompt to move him onto Millies.

Sorry I don't know anything about Mii pet food, but have a look around on the allaboutdogfood website as it's full of useful info and forums too [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 01:01:30 PM »
I just went on the site in the link and found that these people make Milbeworm - and that is interesting as I was told that Milbeworm was a new name for Milbemax that I usually have for worming my dogs, looking at this, it may not be the case.  :o
I suspect it is just a new brand name for a wormer containing the active ingredient milbemycin - like Nescafe and Kenco are both coffee, just marketed by a different company, and CVS, are just cashing in by promoting their 'own brand' of everything.
If you google CVS vets you will find articles from the Telegraph from 2015/6 about their recent 'acquisitions programme', hoovering up small vet practices, promoting their regular payment scheme to cover regular preventative treatments (and thus lock in your loyalty).  It's all about money making, at the end of the day, it's a business like any other.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
I suspect it is just a new brand name for a wormer containing the active ingredient milbemycin - like Nescafe and Kenco are both coffee, just marketed by a different company, and CVS, are just cashing in by promoting their 'own brand' of everything.
If you google CVS vets you will find articles from the Telegraph from 2015/6 about their recent 'acquisitions programme', hoovering up small vet practices, promoting their regular payment scheme to cover regular preventative treatments (and thus lock in your loyalty).  It's all about money making, at the end of the day, it's a business like any other.

Yep I know what you mean, my vet  is in this group and have been for quite a while, but this was the first time they had told me that they would be using the new wormer and the Milbemax was no longer available to them and this was the replacement. I am also getting reminders about the dogs boosters, which look more like letters from the Council (get it done  NOW or you are a bad owner sort of thing, but the vets and receptionist say it is ok to go over the year by 2 months!! I did mention it when I took Minstrel for his booster and the vet said the reminders were for people who forgot to have them done, but 1 look at the records would tell them I don't forget.) On the other hand I got a Christmas Card (the first) from the practice!!. I don't use their Healthy Pet scheme

Sorry gone off track from original post a bit here  :embarassed:

Offline gizmo001i

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 08:01:40 AM »
No problem about going off post Mudmagnets. It's interesting to see how the smaller vets are being taken over. I guess ours has been as our cats and now Bailey are enrolled in their healthy pet club. Which sounds like a CVS creation.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 08:20:18 AM »
Blue's vets recently merged with another independent vet group, to make a huge multi practice group across 3 or 4 neighbouring towns.  They are still calling themselves 'Independent', although I don't think that's strictly true any more.  They cited increased running costs and the advantage of pooled resources as the reasons for the merger.
Blue is enrolled in their 'VIP club', which is their equivalent monthly fee scheme that covers wormer, flea, vaccinations & annual health check.  Interestingly, that scheme is administered by 'Denplan', (the human dental insurance people) and that's what appears monthly on my bank statement.
I use a different vets for the cat, and they are still a truly independent practice - they don't offer a monthly scheme.