Author Topic: Red Pea Sized Lump  (Read 998 times)

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
Red Pea Sized Lump
« on: October 26, 2016, 09:52:18 PM »
Whilst brushing Rory this evening I have found a lump on his left ear, near the top.  It's about the size of a frozen peas and is really red.  When I first felt it my first thought was a tick but having looked at it's actually a lump, it also seemed to have been weeping as he had a bit of hair stuck to it.  I'm actually on holiday at the moment but will be taking him to our Cornish vets in the morning but wondered if anyone had any ideas what it could be? I've got a picture of it but can't get photo bucket to work to upload it....
He doesn't seem bothered about it, but it does look sore - I'm trying not to worry....  :huh:
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Red Pea Sized Lump
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 11:20:15 PM »
First thought with you saying it's red could it be a bite of some sort.
Hope all goes well at vets tomorrow  :bigarmhug:

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:54:42 AM »
It sounds like a histiocytoma which is a type of benign tumour.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=histiocytoma&rlz=1C1CHWA_enGB696GB696&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=617&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwin0LvmvvrPAhVLB8AKHWT9DqUQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=LdptCbUfGFHsnM%3A

Alfie had one last year which appeared inside the top of his ear. He was shaking his head a lot and when I lifted up his ear to have a look there was a small lump which was almost glowing red. His was infected and he needed antibiotics, anti-inflamatory injections, fuciderm and Piriton over the 2 months the vet treated it before it was surgically removed. She said they normally disappear on their own, so Alfie was quite unlucky. Hopefully Rory's lump will be less bothersome to treat or go on it's own.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:59:21 AM »
It sounds like a histiocytoma which is a type of benign tumour.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=histiocytoma&rlz=1C1CHWA_enGB696GB696&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=617&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwin0LvmvvrPAhVLB8AKHWT9DqUQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=LdptCbUfGFHsnM%3A

Alfie had one last year which appeared inside the top of his ear. He was shaking his head a lot and when I lifted up his ear to have a look there was a small lump which was almost glowing red. His was infected and he needed antibiotics, anti-inflamatory injections, fuciderm and Piriton over the 2 months the vet treated it before it was surgically removed. She said they normally disappear on their own, so Alfie was quite unlucky. Hopefully Rory's lump will be less bothersome to treat or go on it's own.
^this

Offline AlanT

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:15:06 AM »
We had something similar. Diagnosed as insect bite. Went away. Took quite a while.

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »
Thanks for your replies and the link.
I took Rory to the vets this morning who diagnosed the lump as a histiocytoma. They advised keeping it clean, shaved the hair around it and said to leave it and hopefully it will go down on its own - if not or it gets any bigger I'll take him back to look at whether it needs to be removed surgically.  Fingers crossed it'll go on its own.
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 03:12:48 PM »
Good news x it will probably disappear as quick as it has appeared!

Offline lescef

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »
Bramble had one of these. It lasted for about three months then disappeared of its own accord.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 08:44:50 PM »
As a pup Willow had two of these in one of her ears. The vet insisted that they were cysts, not histiocytomas  and he would have to remove them when the got bigger. Over the next few months they did get much larger and I was getting quite worried but then they just disappeared overnight.
Happy to say the vet got it wrong this time.

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »
Thanks all for your replies.  Just a quick update to say Rory's lump has now vanished! It kept getting bigger and I was planning on taking him back to the vets as it started weeping and was beginning to bother him but then overnight it dried up, and the scab fell off revealing nothing underneath.  Strange little things!
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »
Dylan had three in his wads as a pip, they disappeared quite suddenly after a few months.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 04:42:16 PM »
So pleased.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 07:10:15 PM »
Monty currently has a button tumour on his leg.  It started off as a small, round hard lump and the vet confirmed what it was.  In the 3 weeks since this happened, it has doubled in size and looks and feels like a hard scab.  I'm having to keep him in his 4 legged Equafleece a lot of the time to stop him biting at it.  Vet said it could take 6-8 weeks for it to disappear.....
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 07:27:41 PM »
Dylan had three in his wads as a pip, they disappeared quite suddenly after a few months.

Lesley and Dylan
With all these references to wine and gin, I would like to blame predictive text  :shades:
Or wandering fingers  >:( shouldv'e been 'in his ears as a pup'  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan
Aka Poirot
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo