Author Topic: Probiotics  (Read 911 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Probiotics
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:32:59 PM »
My boy Jazz has a yeast infection.  I have ordered a supply of raw food from Nutriment and am giving him bio yogurt on his current food.  The recommendation seems to be to change to raw with the addition of a probiotic.  Having searched the internet there seems to be a bewildering choice, some of which are regarded as a waste of money.  Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of using these.  (I would add I am not entirely comfortable to use these).   I am also going to add some coconut oil to his raw food when it arrives.   I do feel somewhat at a loss with this, having already spent a significant amount of money with the vet to no avail.   Any advice very much appreciated.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Probiotics
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 06:04:06 AM »
When I changed Bea over to Raw I didn't add pro Biotics, you can use Pro Kolin, if your worried about a upset tummy.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/protexin-veterinary-pro-kolin-dog-(online-only)

Bea was off her food anyway at the time so I just changed over with no problem, Coconut oil dose not agree with all, so maybe hold off adding it for a while, you don't want to overload Blue's system ?

I'm sure the bowl will be licked clean very quickly :005:

Sharon.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 06:55:04 AM »
I wouldn't add any more oil to the food. Nutriment has flaxseed and salmon oil already in.
Give a few weeks to notice any change start on one protein st a time. Also look at any treats you feed too.
Erica.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 08:59:43 AM »
This is interesting as I have similar issues with Archie. Did your vet diagnose the yeast infection? Mine has never mentioned it as a possibility but admittedly Archie doesn't have a continuos problem and no strong smell.
I had a Google and found this page. There's a section on the right type of probiotic about halfway down the page.

http://www.dog-care-knowledge.com/yeast-infection-in-dogs.html

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:09:49 AM »
If you're not too happy about adding Biotics, you could try just a spoonful of normal plain yoghurt, its a more natural approach perhaps. I'd agree also with just adding additional things one at a time, it makes it easier to determine what can be tolerated or what not.
Don't get too worried about raw feeding, there's so much information out there that it does appear very daunting at first - I got myself into a bit of a lather quite honestly but its actually very simple and very natural and not as complicated as a lot of the feeding "experts" like to make it. (We don't spend hours every day wondering whether our own diet it perfectly balanced on a daily basis!) and once you get into it, it will run like clockwork! If I can give you advice, it would be to find One good reliable source of information and then stick to that plan, the more you read and research the more confused you get, (been there, done it, got the video!). Best advice I've ever had is from people on here!! Best of luck! (Sorry, Archiebean's comment has just come in as I write, - wasn't suggesting you don't look at her suggested link!😉)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 10:41:41 AM »
If he was mine I'd try him just on the raw food first, with nothing added, and see how he goes. I know you've ordered Nutriment but if it was me I'd have tried one without anything added to it initially. Nutriment has lots of supplementary bits and bobs added. It's a good food and I hope you notice a big improvement in Jazz when he's on it. But if you don't it would be worth thinking about a raw food that's just meat, offal and bone.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 10:47:59 AM »
Thanks so much for all your replies and advice.  I have decided not to add any probiotics for the time being and see how it goes.
It is just so distressing to see Jazz like this.  Emma my vet has not mentioned the possibility of a yeast infection, I have researched myself.  He  just said it was dermatitis on his feet.  The consensus is that steroids and antibiotics can just make the problem worse.  I have looked at the link you sent to me and it is very interesting. 

Elaine are you aware of a good quality raw food without any additional supplements which I may consider.  I know you feed William a raw diet. 

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 02:42:15 PM »
Where is the yeast infection showing up?  Is it just the paws or or elsewhere?  Diluted cider vinegar on paw s is supposed to help.  I've no experience , but others have told me of it.  If it stings, don't do it.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 04:19:36 PM »
Where is the yeast infection showing up?  Is it just the paws or or elsewhere?  Diluted cider vinegar on paw s is supposed to help.  I've no experience , but others have told me of it.  If it stings, don't do it.

If the skin is red or sore please don't use the cider vinegar, I used Malaseb wash every day and trimmed between Bea's toes to keep the hair at bay, when there is no redness then the diluted ACV should keep it away.

Hope all is sorted soon.

Sharon.