Author Topic: Flea prevention  (Read 960 times)

Offline Jackie J

Flea prevention
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:01:34 AM »
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good flea prevention for my cocker spaniel Izzi.... I have used Frontline previously but have heard that they're not as effective as they used to be ?.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Flea prevention
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:12:55 AM »
Well I use Advantix  (not to be confused with Advantage), on mine, it has worked fine and is administered like Frontline, it also has been effective on ticks.

I am sure some will recommend collars, which would be my next step such as Seresto collars they last longer too. I understand there is also a tablet which is now available.

I think the main thing is to also treat the area where your cocker sleeps and lies etc to prevent re-infestation and there are several sprays for this.

Forgot to say welcome i am sure as the day goes on more answers will appear.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 08:50:13 AM »
I was using Frontline on our cat until last year, when to our horror, we found he had fleas!  Our vet then told me that fleas have become resistant to Frontline and they no longer recommend it - annoying, as I had a load of it in the cupboard, and it's not cheap  >:(
Now use Stronghold on the cat and Bravecto every 12 weeks for Blue.  It does for fleas and ticks.
Bravecto is a chewy tablet, which Blue thinks is a treat.  I prefer the swallowable treatments personally, I'm always worried that the topicals don't get properly absorbed - some must run off or rub on furniture etc. surely?

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:51:45 AM »
In thirty years of cocker ownership we have never had fleas. Maybe I have been lucky. Does having a cat make fleas more likely?
I used prevention for a while a few years ago until I realised I was pumping them with chemicals so don't use anything now.  The only time I have used prevention recently is when we go on holiday to a cottage as you never know what might be lurking there!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 11:18:24 AM »
I was using Frontline on our cat until last year, when to our horror, we found he had fleas!  Our vet then told me that fleas have become resistant to Frontline and they no longer recommend it - annoying, as I had a load of it in the cupboard, and it's not cheap  >:(
Now use Stronghold on the cat and Bravecto every 12 weeks for Blue.  It does for fleas and ticks.
Bravecto is a chewy tablet, which Blue thinks is a treat.  I prefer the swallowable treatments personally, I'm always worried that the topicals don't get properly absorbed - some must run off or rub on furniture etc. surely?

We are about to start with Bravecto as we needed to change Henry's wormer to Milbemax, with isn't compatible with the Advocate spot-on flea treatment. I agree the tablet is better for a Cocker. The amount Henry needs for his weight, and the skinniness of his neck means there's way too much fluid to apply just to the skin - if I could find it! Most ends up in Henry's fur. I'm never sure it's gone on properly.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 01:52:55 PM »
I'm with lescef, I don't want to give my dogs to many chemicals and just use Advantage prior to going away self catering.    Fingers crossed, we have never has fleas 🐶😀
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 02:30:48 PM »
Humphrey has coconut oil or dessicated coconut on his food and coconut oil lightly rubbed into the coat is also  also a natural flea deterrant. None of my three dogs have ever had fleas although I know of lots of people whose cats have had them though, so perhaps they really are more prone?