Author Topic: The pup I plan to get does not hear in one ear. What should I do?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Arrielle

The pup I plan to get does not hear in one ear. What should I do?
« on: September 21, 2017, 03:17:34 AM »
Hello,
The breeder told me today that my future pup does not hear in one ear.
Her vet secured the breeder that the pup is perfectly fine otherwise but he is deaf in one ear.
Does anyone has a uni dog? Could he lose his hearing completely in the long run ?

What would you do if you were me?
Would you take him?

Thank you

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: The pup I plan to get does not hear in one ear. What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 08:29:24 AM »
It's probably best that you find out a bit more before making a decision. Has the breeder told you why the pup is deaf in on ear? The vet must have made some sort of diagnosis.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 08:51:39 AM »
I think you're in the US where routine testing for deafness is done by breeders so I'm guessing this is where your puppy's unilateral deafness has been picked up? In the UK, it is rare for breeders to test for deafness so there could be puppies out there with the same issue unbeknown to breeder and owner whereas at least you are aware and can do some research before you come to a decision. You need to discuss this with both your vet and the breeder and read up as much as you can on the subject (there is a lot of information online on canine deafness generally and also unilateral deafness) It's something you need to make your own mind up on - as I understand it a unilaterally deaf dog (or should that be a unilaterally hearing dog) generally has no problems living a normal life (but of course should never be bred from)
Jane

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »
I've lived my whole life like this & it makes no difference (except for very noisy places) ;)
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Arrielle

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 12:53:02 PM »
I think you're in the US where routine testing for deafness is done by breeders so I'm guessing this is where your puppy's unilateral deafness has been picked up?

Yes, I am in the USA.  And the breeder had him tasted BARE.
Would it be OK withing the accepted rules of behavior to ask the breeder for a price reduction?
I do not want to ruin my relationship with her -  but given that I know for sure now that I will have more visits to the vet to make sure the good ear is still good - I would like to drop the price a little. He is not cheap at all
Yet, I don't know if this is an accepted practice.
[/color]

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
Seems fair enough to ask for a reduction in the price.

A neighbour had a cocker who was profoundly deaf. He lived a long and happy life - in fact my little spaniel thought he was a bit of a hunk!

You may need to make allowances when training - more use of visual signals - but only time will tell

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 08:33:54 AM »
I would expect the breeder to offer you a small reduction in price but if this doesn't happen, then yes you should start that conversation and see what happens
Jane

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 09:39:54 AM »
If you do decide to get the pup I would suggest you consider adding hand signals into all your training.

I only experianced older dogs who developed poor hearing over time and it would definitely have helped if we had done this.

Good luck.

Offline Arrielle

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 11:25:24 AM »
I would expect the breeder to offer you a small reduction in price but if this doesn't happen, then yes you should start that conversation and see what happens

I asked about the price. She said she cannot make a reduction. But we decided we'll get him. It is not easy to find a pup here, and the US is a huge country to drive to pick up a pup. Even for this one we'll have to drive 10 hours one way.
Hopefully everything will be OK.

Offline Arrielle

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
If you do decide to get the pup I would suggest you consider adding hand signals into all your training.

I only experianced older dogs who developed poor hearing over time and it would definitely have helped if we had done this.

Good luck.
If you are aware of a book that teaches hand signals for dogs that would be great. The breeder assured us that the pup has a perfect hearing in the good ear. I'll pray for that :)

Offline its.sme

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »
I've just Googled it and there are plenty of results to choose from :D

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 01:08:46 PM »
They usually know what you're thinking anyway!

Offline its.sme

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »
They usually know what you're thinking anyway!

Totaly agree, they usually then decide to go deaf anyway ( I call it going Spanal )

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 07:38:56 PM »
18 months ago Rosie had to have a benign tumour removed from her ear canal. Unfortunately this left her deaf in that ear, what we didn't realise that she was totally deaf in the other ear and had never realised.

Looking back, she would always jump and bark if a person or dog came up behind her and she was intently sniffing at something. I had always put it down to being startled as she has always been quite a nervous dog. Her nervousness was probably down to them coming up on her deaf side.
Her hearing in general wasn't impaired and could hear the dishwasher door being opened from the garden  >:D

She is completely deaf now and in fact is less nervous when out. TBH she's just got on with it and you'd never know. Her eyesight is still good and so I just wave my arms about to "call" her. Fortunately she is food obsessed so doesn't stray far from the biscuits in my pocket.

She is 14 and could possibly have had hearing in only one ear from birth.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge