Author Topic: Megan's Diary  (Read 2051 times)

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
Megan's Diary
« on: November 18, 2017, 08:04:04 PM »
Hi
It's been a long time since I updated on our lovely Megan.
wish I could say that she is now enjoying going for walks,
sadly this is still not happening, she is still too frightened to venture out
side the front door, even going into the garden some days she freaks out,
yesterday the leaves dropping of the vine growing over the pergola
sent her scuttling in, a sudden noise does the same. it will be three years in April
since she moved in and changed our lives in a big way.
I must say though she has changed since we sadly had to say good-bye to Honey,
last month, she now is more confident about the house and has made big strides
in staking her claim like sitting on the settee and on hubby's lap, which she never did before
we now have noticed also she is more protective of the house/ us as well when people call
although still dives into her basket behind the chair, we  fetch her out and put her lead
on and sit her in her basket by us so she will gain confidence that she is safe and no one
is going to take her away. It hurts to see how much she must have been abused when in the
puppy farm to still be so frightened, Sylvia did say to us when we adopted her that she may never
come right.  :'( We are still working gently on and hope one day we just may gain her trust in
allowing us to take her out. Apart from this...she is a darling, when we come home from
shopping she goes mad racing and spinning around barking with joy at us, she follows us
everywhere around the house and garden. She loves getting in the bed first thing in the
morning and throws herself onto her back and sticks her nose by my mouth for kisses.  :luv:
There is one thing I'm hoping you may be able to give me some advice on,
She is a very fussy eater...we have tried lots of different tins of dog meats, frozen, dried,
meal biscuit no luck she just turns her nose up at them the only thing she wolfs down is chicken,
which brings me to asking how can I get her a balanced diet, is there any vitamins, etc
that I can mix with the chicken, she will eat cheese, gravy bones and pasta though.
She is looking well on this diet but not sure in the long run it is good for her. It's a shame I
wish I could post photos of her for you but since Photobucket stopped, she is a little beauty.
and we love her to bits.  :luv: :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Megan's Diary
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 09:06:41 PM »
I was thinking about you today, and wondering how you are all doing.  Megan has come on so much since arriving with you, and it is sad that she may never be what we see a 'normal' cocker to be. But, Megan is secure, happy and loved. We have different issues with Daisy, I think she has got to a point where any further improvements are unlikely. She is fear aggressive with all dogs and people, took her a year to allow our neighbour to stroke her. In a rambling way what I am trying to say Megan is in a safe place with people who love and understand her, that seems pretty perfect to me.  As for food, I have just ordered a trial of Butter Nut Box for Daisy. It is freshly cooked and then frozen, it was posted about on here. Well, she loves it! There are a beef, chicken, turkey and a lamb dinner each with added veg. Smells delicious even to a vegetarian  :005: it is delivered frozen, and the trial pack is about 2 weeks worth, so not too much. Might be worth a thought?

Offline revis

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 09:29:19 PM »
Dear Megan. They try so hard but find it so difficult. I am sure she must be related to Jessie. Identical behaviour. So excited when I come home squeals with delight. I can't really help with the food Jessie is on low fat wet with kibble and loves it . They have been through so much and the love they give is just lovely.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 09:33:52 PM »
my, hasn't time flown. can not believe Megan ha been in your life now for 3 years.  It is sad that she can not yet enjoy walks out with you but it still sounds as though she now has a contented love filled life.   :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 10:00:56 PM »
Megan had a bad start in life but she was just so lucky to have found a home with you, I‘m sure no one could give her more love and understanding. She has a role in protecting you and the house and that is far more natural than the original one she was alloted, i,e, breeding machine. She may not lead the life you would have wanted for her but she does sound happy and content and maybe one day that little miracle will happen and she‘ll decide to take that step into the big wide world. Its so lovely to read her diary, do please keep us updated. All the best for you all.  :luv:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 07:36:05 AM »
Lovely to get an update from.you.  re food have you tried adding tripe?  It's full of vitamins etc

Offline villierschris

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:38:40 AM »
It’s lovely that she loves you so much and it’s obviously taken time and patience to get her this far, that’s such a huge achievement but it would be lovely to be able to take her out. I suppose your home is the haven now so I suppose it’s understandable she’s fearful of leaving it! Have you tried going out with her in the car, and maybe just sitting with her outside on the lead and building from there, if she knows she can get back in the car that might feel ok. Doing this multiple times so she always knows she comes back home, if she responds to treats could also work on each step being rewarded. Just a thought, it’s not that straight forward I’m sure. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 08:22:22 AM »
Bea was fed home cooked for around 18 months, her favourite is the Meat Loaf in Lillys a Kitchen book, you can add different meats and vegetables to it , I would cook two loafs and once they where cool cut them into portions and freeze.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/lilys-kitchen-dinner-for-dogs

Like you I wanted to make sure Bea was getting all the neutriants she needed so I also used Keepers Mix or Easy Green Powders from Dorwest.com, they have a great team who can advise you over the phone and it's all natural ingredients.

I only changed Bea on to kibble as I need to have a steady level of Vitamin D ,Calcium and Phosphorus in her diet as she has a ongoing health issue.

Give it a go I bet Megan will love it.

Sharon.

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 09:53:23 AM »
Thank you all for your posts and help with the food problem,
I have tried her on tripe ...BUT ...no go... :-\

Sharon the Meat Loaf in Lilly's Kitchen book you mentioned I have tried
to find it on P.A.Home site  can't get anything on it,
could I please ask you if you could let me have the recipe
to try it out, and if possible any other recipe's also you think might tempt her taste buds.  ;) 

I will get in touch with Dorwest .com.

will let you all know how we are doing,

Val and Babybutton's Megan 

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 10:46:29 AM »
Thanks for the update, it's always so nice to hear about Megan, and pleased that she hasn't been too badly affected by the absence of Honey.

Have you tried strong fish like sardines or mackerel, it often tempts their taste buds.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 11:51:15 AM »
Thank you all for your posts and help with the food problem,
I have tried her on tripe ...BUT ...no go... :-\

Sharon the Meat Loaf in Lilly's Kitchen book you mentioned I have tried
to find it on P.A.Home site  can't get anything on it,
could I please ask you if you could let me have the recipe
to try it out, and if possible any other recipe's also you think might tempt her taste buds.  ;) 

I will get in touch with Dorwest .com.

will let you all know how we are doing,

Val and Babybutton's Megan

I've P.M'd you the recipe, if Megan didn't like the oats I would use Spelt Flour to help it bind instead.

Dorwest are really helpful and do lots of different products for all sorts of things and well worth a chat.
Sharon.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 05:29:34 PM »
Hi Val

Lovely to read the update on darling Megan.  How are Bill and you doing.............
Megs has come on such alot and I know you would love her to venture out, but she has had a dreadful start in her little life, and she has come along way and she does love you both and you are her forever home :luv: and that little girl has lots of surprises in store - I am sure.

You know of Ollie tragic start and I can say honestly there are some things even at his age that I have just learnt to accept.  But his love and devotion is 100% and it is returned :luv

As for the food do hope you can sort something out, I have a friend who uses Dorwest Herbs, and as for giving tabs well the old salmon paste, thickly slapped on a tiny piece of bread with said pill embedded goes down a treat.

Hugs to Megan

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed