Author Topic: Sundowner issues  (Read 2642 times)

Offline rubyduby

Sundowner issues
« on: September 17, 2023, 07:10:37 PM »
As you may have read my girl Topaz is 13 1/2 and is gradually losing sight and hearing, most of which we can cope with , but this night time activity is really doing my head in, I know she cant help it, but she is agitated and takes a while to settle, the worst part is her barking , she barks for no apparent reason, and can go on for a bit of time ,just wondering if anyone has ever tried calming tablets or similar, I am losing sleep and getting crankier and crankier and I know its just her age, and I am so glad she is still with me, ......

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Sundowner issues
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 09:27:53 PM »
Minstrel (10) who can suffer from much the same as what you're describing though not deaf or blind is helped by a yumove Calming tablet (1 every evening after his meal) and I also have the Pet Remedy plug in diffuser & spray which help for those occasions like firework night or if he is over agitated for any reason,  maybe you could try that . For immediate help you could try the Pet Remedy calming wipes, they help him in situations like going to the vets..or the groomers for instance.

Here are the links to both, although both products work well for my dog, I realise that all dogs are different - so a bit of trial and error maybe.

https://yumove.co.uk/products/yucalm-dog?_pos=10&_fid=68c04c717&_ss=c

https://petremedy.co.uk/dogs-puppies/

I wish you calmer times, I know how stressful  this can be for dogs and sad to see for their owners.  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 09:47:06 PM »
Still thinking of you and Topaz :D :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
It is really difficult.  In the end I had to sleep downstairs with Stevie as she too found it hard to settle and was constantly spinning.  You do start to get cranky through lack of sleep and then feel really guilty for being that way as you know that they can’t help it.  I still miss her and her sister Marley every day.
I sincerely hope that the suggestions Mudmagnets has made  work for Topaz.
I will get the diffuser for my present girl as last year’s fireworks were horrendous for her.  Not just one night but seem to go on for a fortnight round here  >:D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 10:43:53 PM »
I will get the diffuser for my present girl as last year’s fireworks were horrendous for her.  Not just one night but seem to go on for a fortnight round here  >:D

Have a look at VetUk much cheaper than the Pet Remedy site  ;)

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-behaviour-calming-pet-remedy-c-837_2421/pet-remedy-diffuser-and-refill-p-5988
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 10:54:28 PM »
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 10:31:21 AM »
Morgan was 15 in June and started this sort of barking nearly 3 years ago. The only thing that settles him is hubby and I taking it in turns to sleep downstairs with him. He gets very agitated generally now unless he knows that one of us is nearby, a problem exacerbated by his deafness and poor sight.
Our vet suggested Selgian to help with his dementia-like symptoms but it was only successful for a short while, he's no worse without it than he was when taking it.
On the whole we reckon that for whatever time he has left we can put up with these sleeping arrangements, at least it stops the barking and he is mainly content overnight although he spends quite a bit of it pottering around  :luv:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 12:12:33 PM »
Morgan was 15 in June and started this sort of barking nearly 3 years ago. The only thing that settles him is hubby and I taking it in turns to sleep downstairs with him. He gets very agitated generally now unless he knows that one of us is nearby, a problem exacerbated by his deafness and poor sight.
Our vet suggested Selgian to help with his dementia-like symptoms but it was only successful for a short while, he's no worse without it than he was when taking it.
On the whole we reckon that for whatever time he has left we can put up with these sleeping arrangements, at least it stops the barking and he is mainly content overnight although he spends quite a bit of it pottering around  :luv:

I think it's just finding out what works for them...and you.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 01:10:09 PM »
Thankyou for the suggestions and comments, Topaz does sleep with me as I know being close  is important to her well being, and I constantly reach out to let her know we are still there, yes I can manage for as long as it takes, she is more than worth it . I get up 3 times a night with her, but its become a routine, fortunately I dont work (retd) so I can catch up, though I do seem to get tired even so, probably an age thing......I may try a calming tablet or similar if it gets worse.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 09:19:02 PM »
Dorwest  do a couple of products that could be helpful. I used the Skullcap  and Valerian for bonfire night, which worked. But now they’ve got one called Braincopa for cognitive decline, a lot of detail on  the website.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 05:47:06 PM »
I shall  look into the Dorwest product ...many thanks

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 09:29:05 AM »
I use skullcap & valerian too for some of my dogs which seems to help
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!