Author Topic: Age comes with it's problems  (Read 3574 times)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Age comes with it's problems
« on: June 16, 2018, 06:41:32 AM »
Hello all, some may remember me from years gone by (Can't believe Fernie is now 13 yrs old)

In the last couple of months Fernie went to go up the stairs and her back legs just went from beneath her - it's gradually got worse and she is now on metacam daily.

We knew she was starting to struggle over a year ago and so put her on glucosamine & chondroitin which helped for a while - the vet is happy with us continuing this as well as the metacam

Fernie has gone totally deaf now too - I used to be able to let her off out on walks but now have to use a long line with her (back to puppy training days)

But the last couple of days she seems to be getting worse again - we have the dreaded V E T next week, but I really don't know what more they can do for her

Currently she doesn't seem in pain and is still happy in herself - walks are shorter these days but she still wants to go out on them

For a working cocker, she now actually sleeps in the day and I mean sleeps, out for the count and doesn't even notice when I take Rhum out in the garden 

Has anyone got any experience of this? Much appreciate any information

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Age comes with it's problems
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 09:38:51 AM »
Hello nice to see you back I remember you from years ago  :D. Its amazing how the years go by and how quickly our cockers seem to go from pups to oldies.
Ben was arthritic in his hips and was on metacam for a couple of years as well as yumove which helped. Like Fern he was very deaf and had to go on a longline as he could still move at speed and we were scared he would run off and we would not be able to call him back !!

As Ben got older he still was happy in himself loved his walks and food so we were happy to let him potter on. However he got really bad dementia and we struggled for about 12 months -  possibly too long ??  We lost him last year at the age of 14.

I can honestly say watching Ben get older is the hardest thing I have ever done as I found it hard to balance in my head what his quality of life was and to maintain his good quality of life what impact it was having on our lives eg because of the dementia Ben couldn't be on his own so my husband gave up work and after taking a year out to look after Ben he has never gone back to work.

People on here were brilliant and gave me lots of advice but I think what I learned is every situation is unique and there are no rights and wrongs, you know your own dog better than anyone and I guess you know when the quality of life changes and it is no longer 'enough'.  You say Fern is painfree and enjoying walks, you will be able to tell when that changes.

i hope you get more lovely time with Fern this summer to make treasured memories :luv:  :luv:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »
so sorry to hear you have lost Ben  :luv:

fern is doing ok at the moment and long may it last

Surprised you remember me  :005: I remember you too  ;)

Thanks for the reply - hope to catch up again soon

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 04:45:32 PM »
I remember you from years back, I had Smudge at the time, but lost him at nearly 7 to cancer. I have Minstrel and Branston and a little cockapoo (just to shake up the mix) called Toby.

Nice to see you back  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 06:42:51 PM »
hi Mudmagnets, sorry to hear about Smudge  :luv: Hope you are having great fun with Minstrel and Branston  :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 07:47:50 PM »
Hi Cazza  :luv: Jarvis is 13 now too, on a bit of metacam but we're about to take him off that as we've been taking him to hydro and he's got so fit the vet thinks it's alleviated any joint issues.  He's also deaf and is now losing sight.

He sleeps very heavily after his metacam (it's a known side effect) but on the whole he is happy and fit and really good for his age.

Fern sounds like a typical oldie - I hate the passing of time with a passion and wish Jarv was in his prime again but on the upside he's cheeky and happy and long may that continue <3
helen & jarvis x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 09:03:02 PM »
Hello, I remember you and Fern very well.  We had Max, Bertie and Lara, but times have changed and after a break, we now have a golden girl called Daisy. 
I found it difficult to watch them age, it was the most noticeable with Bertie, but as long as they seemed happy and were eating, I was ok.  Took us a while to figure out Bertie was actually going deaf, as he had always been gifted with selective deafness!  :005:   Hope Fern still has many good days ahead. 

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 06:43:17 AM »
Hi Cazza  :luv: Jarvis is 13 now too, on a bit of metacam but we're about to take him off that as we've been taking him to hydro and he's got so fit the vet thinks it's alleviated any joint issues.  He's also deaf and is now losing sight.

He sleeps very heavily after his metacam (it's a known side effect) but on the whole he is happy and fit and really good for his age.

Fern sounds like a typical oldie - I hate the passing of time with a passion and wish Jarv was in his prime again but on the upside he's cheeky and happy and long may that continue <3

Hello Helen, good to see you  :luv: good to see some familiar names / faces

Awww my baby boy Jarvis, I should have stolen him all those years ago  :005: I wish hydro was an option for Fern, I remember out on a COL walk we were amazed when she got her feet wet while all the others were enjoying a swim - she's not changed where water is concerned  :shades:

Fern is still cheeky and happy too and will still flush out the birds :o She is still a little monkey  :005:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 06:48:19 AM »
Hello, I remember you and Fern very well.  We had Max, Bertie and Lara, but times have changed and after a break, we now have a golden girl called Daisy. 
I found it difficult to watch them age, it was the most noticeable with Bertie, but as long as they seemed happy and were eating, I was ok.  Took us a while to figure out Bertie was actually going deaf, as he had always been gifted with selective deafness!  :005:   Hope Fern still has many good days ahead.

Hi EJP  sorry to hear about Max, Bertie and Lara  :luv:

Awww Daisy is a lovely name - I will have to have a look for some pics

Selective deafness - yep those were fun days, now though she is totally deaf - She can be asleep at my feet and if she is not touching me I can actually go to bathroom in peace and she is still in the same place when I get back - I longed for that for years now it just saddens me that she is getting old (but hey ho it comes to us all  ;) )

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 05:06:32 PM »
Selective deafness - yep those were fun days, now though she is totally deaf - She can be asleep at my feet and if she is not touching me I can actually go to bathroom in peace and she is still in the same place when I get back - I longed for that for years now it just saddens me that she is getting old (but hey ho it comes to us all  ;) )

it kills me if we go out and come back in and he's in a deep sleep and doesn't hear us at all.  We have to gently wake him up so he knows we're there.  I so miss those days of his welcome home dance :(  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »
Yeah I so know what you mean Helen, I suppose I am lucky in the fact that if we are out then Rhum wakes her so she is at the door when we get home

I am just in now, but as hubby was sat with her we had to wake her to tell her I was home

Offline caro

• Donator
  • Sam
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 11:29:24 AM »
Hello I remember all of you! Was just browsing as we think our Fern has dementia too, and she’s had hepatitis and pancreatitis and is partially sighted, partially deaf and could possibly have something ‘sinister’ going in in her head. It is so difficult. I was just going to look up some of the drugs she’s on, and other things we could try so popped on here xx
Caroline & Sam RIP Fern x RIP Charlie Cat x

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »
Hi, good to hear from you again.

Have you tried Golden Paste?  It can work miracles for joints and general aged aches and pains.  You can buy it ready made (which I do) from The Golden Paste Company or you can make your own.  There is a great facebook group called Turmeric users UK where you can check that any medications will not be affected.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 01:09:39 AM »
Hello I remember all of you! Was just browsing as we think our Fern has dementia too, and she’s had hepatitis and pancreatitis and is partially sighted, partially deaf and could possibly have something ‘sinister’ going in in her head. It is so difficult. I was just going to look up some of the drugs she’s on, and other things we could try so popped on here xx

I remember you too Caro, Awww sorry to hear about Fern loads of love n hugs to you both x x  :luv:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 01:10:50 AM »
Hi, good to hear from you again.

Have you tried Golden Paste?  It can work miracles for joints and general aged aches and pains.  You can buy it ready made (which I do) from The Golden Paste Company or you can make your own.  There is a great facebook group called Turmeric users UK where you can check that any medications will not be affected.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Hi and thanks, not heard of that will look into it - many thanks