Author Topic: 14 months old female cocker - needing wee every 1-2 hours..?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Katieee1985

14 months old female cocker - needing wee every 1-2 hours..?
« on: November 23, 2018, 12:45:42 PM »
How often do your cockers need a wee?? My gorgeous Mia is 14 months old, she was spayed around 3 months ago, she has no health problems or anything like that. She gets lots of exercises twice a day (around 7am and 4pm) together with sniffing, brain games etc. We don't have a garden so i take her to a nearby grass lane for short toilet breaks. She is gorgeous and I love her so much but the frequency of her whining for the toilet is becoming a problem.. I mean.. is it normal to want to go out every 1-2 hours in the daytime but capable of going without toilet 4-5 hours in the evenings and all night also? I work from home and every morning time is for her, we go out and exercise, play, food etc, then short toilet break before sleep...
Then I sit down to work and if it doesn't matter it's been 40 minutes or 2 hours - as soon as I get up - to go to the bathroom myself or to make cup of tea - she's up and she doesn't go back to sleep - she wants to go for a wee. I take her out, she does a small wee, we come back. She sleeps or potters around then I get up again for anything and shes up again - like an hour later - whining to go out.. I can't focus on my wor. I sit down working sometimes dying for a bathroom myself but would try to hold it as long as I can because i know once i'm up she's up and will whine to go out... I love her so much but this is becoming a problem now. Is the frequent ttoiletingnormal? I honestly don't mind taking her out, but every hour or so is really starting to take an effect on my focus at work... Any advice pls would be much appreciated thank you

Offline Mina

Re: 14 months old female cocker - needing wee every 1-2 hours..?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »
This does not sound normal. Maybe she has a urinary tract infection?

Otherwise, I can tell you that my girl, who is obsessed with playing with sticks in the garden, is constantly whining to get out of the house to go and play. Whenever we make a move (get up from the sofa, dining table, etc) the whining starts immediately, just the same as you described. This goes on all throughout the day from the moment we get up until evening when she has had her dinner and goes to bed. I am really struggling to fix this as she will not accept to play with anything else, so if I stop play with sticks, she plays with nothing, complains, and just sulks around the house (we have tried a few times and she actually becomes depressed!). If I simply let her out in the garden but we don't play, she immediately wants to come back inside and keeps whinging.  >:D

This makes me wonder if Mia is just asking to be let out because she likes her walkies??

Good luck, hope you can sort it out! Keep us posted!

Offline Katieee1985

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 01:22:35 PM »
Thank you Mina. I think it is very possible that she likes her walkies too much :) I mentioned this to the vet last time we visited and they were not worried about the uti - it's more of the behaviour thingy :)
I sometimes think about the way I trained her, we don't play many games inside becuase I want home to be a relaxing, calming place for her, and it works very well - but then it also means she gets most of the fun outside - so it's normal she tries to make me take her out as often as possible. I have never actually ignored the whining for too long - thinking she's obviously dying for a pee - but I think she knows exactly what to do to make me take her out, cheeky monkey!

Offline Mina

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »
Haha, they are too smart, aren't they!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 05:10:20 PM »
Humphrey used to do this, and if sitting at the door whinging didn‘t attract our attention he‘d plonk himself infront of the TV and stare us out!! The problem is that the demands for attention seem to get more and more and we found that particularly if we had friends round or I was trying to hold a conversation with someone, he‘d start again. I just avoided eye contact and completely ignored him and, if he got too bad, would make him go and lie down in the kitchen.
The cocker pleading look is one of the hardest things in the world to resist, and they know it!!  :lol2: but it doesn‘t do them any good to let them believe we‘re entirely there for their beck and call (even if, in reality, we are!!  :005:)

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 12:05:49 PM »
Hmmm... Someone has learned where all the switches are!  :blink:

Offline Koslg

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 09:54:56 PM »
When mine stays home with my mum he goes for a wee every 2 hours almost exactly. Sometimes asks for more. And there sniffs. And sniffs and then maybe wees. It’s a tactic he uses with her. With me I just say no cuddle down. And he does. Usually  :005:

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 03:39:54 PM »
My Jett does this as well, I will let him out for the toilet. He goes and within an hour he wants to go again.
I know that he doesn't need to keep going, he is just trying his luck. I normally tell him to 'settle down' and he normally is good and goes off to his bed for a rest.