Author Topic: Hair Loss on Tail  (Read 1283 times)

Offline max15

• Donator
Hair Loss on Tail
« on: December 09, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »
I have attached two pictures of Jessie's tail and would be interested in any suggestions/information from members about this problem.  Hair loss started 4 to 6 months ago.  We have spoken to our vets who said it's to do with the tail gland and not a thyroid problem as she has no other symptoms.

Jessie is 12 years old she has had a lump towards the end of her tail for some years which has never caused her any problems but there is now hair loss towards the end of her tail as well.

I would be very grateful to know if anyone has experienced this with their Cockers.  Just to say this problem has never troubled her she never bites at her tail, but it is starting to lincrease and if there's anything we could do/give her to help we would.

She is on Cimalgex for spondylosis.  and has various Dorwest products,  Glucosamine & chondroitin, evening primrose, kelp seaweed, white thistle, and has aloe vera gel on the thinning areas

Apologies for the long post but wanted to give as much info as possible.  I know there is a wealth of knowledge on the forum and hope someone has some info.

Many thanks

Karen & Jessie

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Hair Loss on Tail
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 07:47:50 PM »
Archie had this with his tail gland and every now and then it flares up again. It does bother him though and in the past he’s chewed at it and needed steroids to sort it out. It’s always cleared up and the fur grows back. He was allergy tested and putting him on a fish diet plus the removal of peas and soya entirely has made a big difference to his skin issues generally and we had no trouble with his tail gland at all this year. 

Offline max15

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 08:42:25 PM »
Many thanks for the information, I will look at her diet as well.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »
Marley has exactly the same baldness on her tail.  She is nearly 11 and has had it for about a year.  When I first noticed it and a reddidsh tint to her black coat, she was tested for a problem with her thyroid.   Her coat had also become harsh and she was quite lethargic on walks.  Following her tests, she is now on thyroid medication for life.  Her energy levels have increased but the changes to her coat have got worse.  The vet thought once on medication, her coat texture would improve but it hasn't.  The baldness on her tail doesn't bother her at all.  The vet has now suggested taking skin biopsies to see what is going on but I am unsure as to putting her through it whilst her quality of life is so good.  Her coat texture does not now have the silkiness it once had, more of a harshnesss to it but it doesn't bother her.
Her litter sister Stevie (blue roan) has started to develop a bald patch on her tail too and the vet thought it might be gland related but that has now been ruled out.  She was tested for thyroid problems too but they came back clear.  Strangely enough, the black patches on her coat have also started to develop a red tint to them.
I am not sure if this is a genetic thing though as their father was a red but it doesn't explain the bald tail  :huh:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline max15

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 03:23:02 PM »
Many thanks Vixen for the information.  It's a strange one.
Jessie's dad did develop this baldness when he got a bit older as well.  I wonder if overtime she will loose all the hair on her tail, I hope not!