Author Topic: Puppies parents not been tested for FN  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Barneygirl

Puppies parents not been tested for FN
« on: December 11, 2018, 05:46:43 PM »
A show puppy I am interested in has both parents who haven’t been tested for FN.  Any help as to what I should do please?

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Puppies parents not been tested for FN
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 10:31:59 PM »
Is the puppy being sold from a reputable source?  Unfortunately we do read all the time about puppy mill puppies being convincingly being sold through fake homes. You only have to see how many breeding bitches are being given to rescues like Manytears,  to know that it is still going on. 

If you are paying the going pedigree price,  then i would expect PRA  and FN history. Do you have access to a Kennel Club five year pedigree  of the puppy or it’s parents?  You can check up on the health results of registered dogs , voluntarily given .  What information has the seller given you and have they got the whole puppy family , a shame the parents haven’t been tested. 
It’s a lottery, there are other conditions that are common, or they can succumb to something unexpected at an early age like my beautiful boy who had another kidney issue.
FN is an early onset condition, usually by four I think,   so if the parents are older, then that is positive.  If you are happy with everything,  and know the sellers, just consider the price of the puppy, and try not to fall in love with it till the decision is made.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Puppies parents not been tested for FN
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 11:24:10 AM »
FN is early onset, but it's still possible that one or both of the puppy parents could be carriers. If only one is, the pup will never be affected but could be a carrier. If both parents are carriers there's the possibility that the pup could inherit the faulty gene from both parents and be affected.

Do you know if the parents are Kennel Club registered? If so, you could look on the KC website and see if any of the grandparents were DNA tested for FN. I'm assuming that neither parent is hereditarily clear (by virtue of both parents in generations being tested clear), as I imagine the breeder would have told you if that was the case.

Has either parent been DNA tested for PRA, or had the gonioscopy test for glaucoma, or have a BVA clear eye certificate, or been hip scored?