Author Topic: Itchy Feet  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« on: June 16, 2004, 12:44:39 PM »
Hi,

Anyone got any clues about this one?  

Piper is nibbling and nibbling her feet - I think primarily her back ones but has had a go at her front ones too.  I have had a good inspection and cannot seem to find anything and am confused because it is all of her little feet.  She's not normally an itchy girl so any advice will be appreciated  :?

Thanks, Louise.                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 01:28:11 PM »
Sometimes ear mites can be transferred to the feet, if I remember correctly - I used Thornit powder on Indie's feet when I did his ears, as they seemed a bit itchy. Other than that have you used shake and vac, or changed washing powder recently?

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 02:01:59 PM »
Hi Shona,

No I haven't changed my detergent.  I did buy some thornit and have been using it on her ears - wasn't sure how good it is on their feet.  I will give it a go though.

How much do I use?

Thanks,

Louise                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 02:12:56 PM »
Hi Louise,

Itchy feet is usually a sign of allergies in dogs, have you checked Piper for fleas? Have you changed her food?, dogs can also have the same allergies as us humans too - hayfever for instance, maybe a grass allergy?                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 02:52:32 PM »
Maria, she was treated with frontline just over a month ago and is due another dose in July so I'm hoping that fleas are not the cause.  I have also checked her carefully and cannot see any of the little monsters on her...  Do you think it would do any harm if I gave her another dose as a preventative measure? :?

I was at the vets as well with her on Monday but it wasn't so bad then.  Mmmmmmmmm, hope it's not an allergy.

I'll have a good root around on her later and see if I can see anything between her toes etc.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 03:09:25 PM »
Hi Shona,

No I haven't changed my detergent.  I did buy some thornit and have been using it on her ears - wasn't sure how good it is on their feet.  I will give it a go though.

How much do I use?

Thanks,

Louise

I'd use a teeny bit on the handle end of a teaspoon, and work it well in and see if that helps - make sure first there are no open wounds or sores, otherwise I reckon that would not be good!

Poor Piper, I hope something works soon, that's miserable

Shona xx                    

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Itchy Feet
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »
Louise,
I would double check that it isn't harvest mite/berry bugs.  I know you said you didn't see anything but they are notoriously hard to spot as they are so darn small, only just visible to the naked eye I am led to believe.  I only just saw them on Chloe but that was helped by the fact that her feet have quite white fur on and the orange colour that these mites produce was quite evident.  I know when I used Frontline I was told it was no use on these mites and I was given Stronghold as an alternative.  It was only two weeks since I had put the Frontline on her but the vet said there was no reason the two could not be used so close together. Good luck and hope Pipers feet get better soon.

Sheryl, Holly and Chloe the Wonder Dog xx                    
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Itchy Feet
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 08:37:44 PM »
This happened to Lottie quite a while back.  I couldn't see anything that would cause her biting either.

I used 'Benzyl Benzoate' which is available over the counter at most chemists.  I diluted some before washing her paws in it and she hasn't had the problem since :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 11:06:38 PM »
Thanks everyone, have had another really good check and don't think I can see any of the harvest mites - although she does have mainly dark hair on her feet.... so will keep looking.

Will give the thornit a go and possibly the Benzyl Benzoate if I have no joy.

Louise
x                    

Offline PennyB

Itchy Feet
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 10:58:19 AM »
Maria, she was treated with frontline just over a month ago and is due another dose in July so I'm hoping that fleas are not the cause.  I have also checked her carefully and cannot see any of the little monsters on her...  Do you think it would do any harm if I gave her another dose as a preventative measure? :?

I was at the vets as well with her on Monday but it wasn't so bad then.  Mmmmmmmmm, hope it's not an allergy.

I'll have a good root around on her later and see if I can see anything between her toes etc.

Best not to overdose the frontline. But it wouldn't do any harm to thornitt her paws though                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Itchy Feet
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 02:47:43 PM »
You can use Frontline monthly - its recommended to use monthly as a treatment for ticks so would be ok to use again if required.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004, 08:00:46 AM »
Oh God......... :?

The itching has spread.  She is now itching all over.  I also think she has nibbled her back leg as there are some little scabs on them - I noticed those a couple of days ago and applied some hibiscrub to the area and it seems to have soothed it.

Despite a very thorough investigation I am still to find a flea but applied another dose of Frontline to be on the safe side.  I have checked between toes and there is no trace of orange to indicate harvest mites.

The only other thing that I can think of is that I had started to give her Fish Body Oils supplement due to her HD (I did ask the vet prior to giving it) so I have witheld that from today to see if there is any improvement.  Obviously, she is on all of the other medication also for her HD but can't imagine it would be that...

I'll give it a couple more days and then she's back to the vet I'm afraid  :roll: I'm a familiar feature at the vets these days!                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Itchy Feet
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2004, 08:43:49 AM »
:(  :?

Oh dear, poor Piper :?  It sounds like an allergy but I think a trip to the vets will be the best.  Keep us posted :wink:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2004, 12:51:01 PM »
:(  :?  

Oh dear, poor Piper :?  :

Mmmmmmm and poor bank balance  :roll:                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2004, 01:51:31 PM »
Damn. I'm wondering about fish oils - Indie seemed to have a reaction to salmon and tuna, so doesn't get it.

The vets seems like the plan, good luck

Shona x