Author Topic: Itchy Feet  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2004, 11:09:38 PM »
Here's an update.........

Today it has been confirmed that Piper has some sort of ecsema (can't spell it and can't be bothered to get the dictionary out - sorry  :wink: ) in between her pads on her back feet.  The vet also agreed that she was very itchy on her tummy.  Actually, he said that he did not think her coat was good either which surprised me as she has a lovely soft and shiny coat  :?  :?  but he said that she was poorly 'covered' underneath (on her tummy) and that in his opinion her coat should also be thicker.......  Could it be that I've been overdoing the 'Coat King'  :shock:

Anyway, to cut a long story short we now have to ascertain what this problem is.  He's given me cream to use on her feet, he's already put stronghold onto her just in case and has given her some tablets.  

He has told me that I have to change her diet (I've just changed to Burns to facilitate weight loss.. :roll:  :? ) and has said I should feed her one of these two only for 6 weeks:
JWB Lamb and rice or Wafcol Fish and Corn or Salmon and Potato.  I've compared each of them and am unsure which to go with really - would any of you kind people care to make a recommendation??

The other thing he mentioned was that he wants to run a thyroid test if things do not improve as we also have the weight issue going on - which despite hardly feeding her anything bless her she remains over 16KG  :shock:

Tagging something on here also, we have her referral to the University of Liverpool on Monday for her HD, we are going to see Professor John Innes, who I have been informed is fantastic - so fingers crossed to see what he thinks about her hip - I'll keep you all posted.

It seems to be one thing after another at the moment  :?

Thanks everyone  :D                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline PennyB

Itchy Feet
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 12:10:00 AM »
Personally I'd think the Burns would be OK but then what do I know. Mind you some vets have their preferences re special diets and a lot go for Hills! Could it be these are your vets preferences rather than what they actually know about Burns.

Which Burns are you feeding at them mo.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2004, 08:00:21 AM »
Hi Penny,

I'm feeding her the 'High Oats' to assist with weight loss.

Yeah, I think that these are his preferences, however, I'm happy to obey and go out and get one of them - just dunno which one really.

I would probably have gone straight away for JWB BUT when I was trawling through the internet last night I came across an animal welfare support group website that said they did not recommend JWB as they inflicted suffering on cats and dogs during  research (I've just done a quick search and can't find the website now).  

Hey-Ho, I'm leaning towards the Wafcol Salmon and Potato at the minute just because of what it says about it on their website  :?                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2004, 09:10:06 AM »
Hi Louise

I'm just trying to catch up with everything :wink:

So sorry to hear of Pipers problems :(   It must be a worrying time for you, but hopefully when she sees this guy at Liverpool, he may give you some hopeful news :)

Re the food, I had a gsd with allergie problems and we fed her on Wafcol, as advised by our vet,  it wasn't the fish one, as that wasn't out then :?  but I just wanted to say that it really did help her :)   She had skin problems as well as having a gluten intolerance and from about 6 weeks after being on the Wafcol, we could stop all her anti-histamine pills :D  

I hope this helps, its a tough decision I know, cos all you want is the best for Piper :)                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2004, 09:20:29 AM »
Hi Louise, i'm so sorry to hear about Piper. I hope you manage to sort her problem out.
My labs had blood tests to confirm what there  problems were, they both had allergies...... One had itchie  feet and itchie belly, with loss of fur. she also had a very thin coat, without an undercoat.
Has Piper had any blood tests yet?  :? Its just a thought, but Meg was worse at this time of year.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Itchy Feet
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2004, 02:00:53 PM »
Hi Thanks MrsBo and Indiesnan - went for the Wafcol and will start with her supper this afternoon.

She has not had blood tests yet, however, that is  the next plan of action I believe - the vet wants to get Monday over and done with first so that we know where we are at and then move on to the itching in more detail I think   :?

It just seems to be one thing after another at the minute  :roll:

Thanks again,

Louise
x                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Itchy Feet
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2004, 06:33:35 PM »
I used 'Benzyl Benzoate' which is available over the counter at most chemists.  I diluted some before washing her paws in it and she hasn't had the problem since :wink:

I've never used BB but Jennifer Lloyd Carey mentions it in her book "The Cocker Spaniel" an owners companion.  She states that it should be diluted 2 parts lotion to 1 part water and it can be used for cleaning ears, and can also be applied to small areas of the skin in cases of lice, harvest mite or scurf.   :lol:                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Itchy Feet
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2004, 10:42:20 PM »
Louise,

Poor Piper, she seems to be going through it at the moment, can't really offer any advice on food but good luck at Liverpool.

Michelle                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Itchy Feet
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2004, 09:14:39 AM »
Good luck for today at Liverpool with Piper!
Sorry to hear that the vet confirmed she has eczema - I wouldn't worry about the lack of coat on her undercarriage - the thickness of cocker's coats does vary a lot.  However, the thin coat might point to one of the reasons for the vet mentioned a thyroid test but there are lots of other symptoms as well.
Look forward to hearing how you get on. :D                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!