Author Topic: Ear problems  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Ear problems
« on: June 17, 2004, 09:27:29 AM »
Daisy's off to the vet today - she seems to have something inside her ear causing her pain. I can't see anything either externally or internally, and I've had a gentle poke about as much as she'll let me, but nothing apparent - yet she's wincing, yelping, walking lopsided with her bad ear low to the ground, and constantly trying to rub it on the floor (and yelping when she does). She was doing all this yesterday prior to her walk, so I'm a bit stumped - could be a grass seed from a previous walk I guess, or maybe an insect has crawled inside, perhaps even a sting? :?                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Ear problems
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 09:52:26 AM »
aaaw - poor Daisy :(  - does sound like there is something specific there. Hope the vet can spot it and sort it quickly. Could easily be a grass seed or a bite or sting. Do let us know.                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Ear problems
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 11:13:30 AM »
It was a grass seed. The vet had to knock her out to retrieve it :( We had a problem with grass seeds last year, so have been paying extra special attention, problem is the dog-run area of the local park is covered in them. I wont be going in there again, and I hope the dog warden asks me why :x                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Ear problems
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 11:32:49 AM »
I'm glad that Daisy is ok Mike.
I really worry about this with Millie in particular as she loves bouncing through long grass and sticking her head places she shouldn't.
I think I may have to invest in some snoods, but I don't particularly want a spangly one :shock:
perhaps I could make some out of an old pair of socks, or tights .. :lol: :lol:                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Ear problems
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 12:23:35 PM »
I'm glad that Daisy is ok Mike.
I really worry about this with Millie in particular as she loves bouncing through long grass and sticking her head places she shouldn't.
I think I may have to invest in some snoods, but I don't particularly want a spangly one :shock:
perhaps I could make some out of an old pair of socks, or tights .. :lol: :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Just imagining Millie in a pair of mummies tights - 20 denier American Tan should be quite fetching!

Mike, pleased to  hear that Daisy is on the mend bless her.  How awful to have something like that stuck inside your ear.

Louise                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline PennyB

Ear problems
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 01:34:10 PM »
It was a grass seed. The vet had to knock her out to retrieve it :( We had a problem with grass seeds last year, so have been paying extra special attention, problem is the dog-run area of the local park is covered in them. I wont be going in there again, and I hope the dog warden asks me why :x

Why not tell the dog warden. Most dog wardens have email addresses so might be worth a missive to them                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Ear problems
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 01:50:08 PM »
People have often complained about this area to the local council, myself included. It's never dealt with satisfactorily, in that they may chop down the offending growth once in a while, normally when someone else complains, but they never make an effort to maintain it. Our vet has seen a few similar cases that originate from this field, and has also written to the council. Nothing changes. So we're just going to go elsewhere from now on.                    

Offline Juel

• Site Member
Ear problems
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 06:24:05 PM »
Glad to hear Daisy is ok Mike xx
luv
juel xx                    

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Ear problems
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 09:53:34 PM »
Help!

Is this something I should be planning against?   :?

Everywhere near us is riddled with grass seeds at this time of year; advice needed please!

Thanks                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Ear problems
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 10:06:12 PM »
Poor little girly, pleased to hear she's okay now Mike  :D                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Ear problems
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 02:56:48 PM »
Sorry for my exceedingly stupid question, but what's a dogwarden  :shock:  :oops: ?

Good to hear that Daisy is now OK  :D !                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Ear problems
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 03:06:49 PM »
Not a silly question  :D In the UK, dog wardens patrol public areas enforcing the local regulations that apply to dogs i.e. cleaning up after number 2's, catching stray dogs etc. Kind of like a traffic warden, but for dogs  :lol:

Daisy has a new claim to fame now - the vet said the inside of her ears are the hairiest he has ever seen  :lol:                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Ear problems
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 03:10:06 PM »
Thanks for explaining Mike. I wish we had wardens like that in Finland too :).                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Ear problems
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 05:16:58 PM »
We don't have dog wardens at any of our local parks :?

I ought to be worried too, there is this very long grass covering part of the park (and I mean very long) and Barnaby loves playing hide and seek with me. I hide in the grass and call for him, he has no direction at all :roll: but he eventually finds me. It would be very easy for him to get a grass seed in his ear as that spot is full of them! :(                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Ear problems
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 07:58:49 PM »
Glad that Daisy is alright Mike. These grass seeds can be such a pain (literally!!)                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!