Author Topic: Piper HD Update  (Read 2805 times)

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
Piper HD Update
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 11:48:57 PM »
So sorry to hear about piper :cry: . Good luck with the hydrotherapy :) .

Quote from: "Piper's Mummy"
There is another one called Teazledown, Preston way and they have a bigger pool and you participate throwing their toys and having them swim towards you which appeals to me a bit more at the moment.  The lady who owns this goes to my dog class so will speak to her on Wednesday evening.

O Teazledown is great! The lady who owns it has labs and built the hydrotherapy pool in like a very large garage. She had the pool built because one of her dogs had an accidence and badly hurt its leg. She did have to travel to Skipton every time she need to go (which I think was three times a week). So she decided that it would be far easier to build one on her land. It’s a great size - even humans could swim in it! I feel it is the best up this way. There are a lot of very small hydrotherapy pools (in the North West), which don't do a great deal for the dog - it is far better to go for a larger option (as long as it is large enough for piper to get a good work out).
Let us knw how you get on hth.
I have just PM’ed you.                    

Offline annemie

• Site Member
    • http://members.chello.nl/~a.notten1/
Piper HD Update
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 09:23:44 AM »
So sorry to hear that it is worser then you tought. I hope that the hydrotherapy helps a little bit                    
Greetings,

Annemie and a big kiss from Joep, Joris and Henry

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Piper HD Update
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 12:28:31 PM »
Louise,

Piper is so lucky to have you and Charlie, good luck with the hydrotherapy and the diet, tell her I know what she is going through :roll:

Take care

Michelle                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Piper HD Update
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 03:28:38 PM »
Hi Louise
Sorry to hear that Piper has both hips affected - wish you well.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 03:40:28 PM »
I just thought I would let you know that we went through a similar thing with Goldie.

She was only about 5 months old when she was diagnosed, she was in terrible pain and unable to walk without crying.
I wont do into loads of details here, I can send you a message if you want any extra info.

But, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
If I say that things looked so bleak at the start that it looked as though either she was going to be put to sleep because she couldnt walk or at least not live for many years.
XX

Hi Sheila - thanks for your post.  It really is encouraging to hear of other's who have dealt with their dogs having HD - particularly a case like yours where things looked quite bleak. Goldie looks to be in fantastic shape for her age  :D

I would love to hear the details via PM if you have the time and also what action you have taken that keeps Goldie so  well at 10  :D

There is lots of information on the Web and I have learned a lot from the Champdog forum also but it is great to speak to others who have been through what I am going through now.

Thanks very much

Louise
xx                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 03:44:48 PM »
Hi again Louise,
On the topic of Piper losing some weight, you will need to cut back on the starchy foods and replace at least one quarter of her starchy ration with raw or cooked carrots also add some finely grated cabbage and onion mix to her diet. If the weight problem is of a glandular nature (which is not uncommon) then use a daily infusion of rosemary herb. Also put grated parsley and dandelion and a crushed kelp tablet on her main meal as it can have a tonic effect on the glandular system. You will also need to increase her bran intake and ensure effective elimination with the help of laxatives ie senna pods (2-3 pods daily).

Hope it is of use,

Karen

Thanks for this Karen - have printed off and will discuss with the  vet......

Many thanks to everyone for all of your support.  Not sure how Piper will find the swimming.  The reason I was so keen to get her into the water whilst we were in the lakes was because I thought we may be headed down this road ultimately and she definitely did not like water a couple of months ago.

I'm hoping that if I pick the right place for her, she will come to enjoy going swimming and that will make life easier for all of us and more importantly Piper  :D

Yes, heard lots of good things about Teazledown and will call them this evening.

Thanks again everyone.  I feel like I've been going on about Piper's HD forever  :roll:

Louise & Piper xxx                    

Offline T

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2004, 07:51:38 PM »
:o(
Sorry we missed all this ... really really hope you're all coping ... some ray of lights tho!  
:o)                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!

Offline dsmandspanna

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2004, 01:37:03 PM »
hi louise ..and piper

ive only just read this......sorry to hear of this...

so spanna and me...we send you big hugs...
luv dawn and spanna 8)  8)                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Piper HD Update
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2004, 02:35:38 PM »
Poor Piper, good job he has a Mum like you Louise, you do seem to be coping with it really well :wink:

I'm a bit anti-insurance but it's times like these that it's invaluable.  I have Lottie insured with M&S too so glad to hear they're honourable.

Does Piper like swimming?  I know most cockers do but Lottie doesn't :roll:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2004, 06:03:30 PM »
Poor Piper, good job he has a Mum like you Louise, you do seem to be coping with it really well :wink:  

I'm a bit anti-insurance but it's times like these that it's invaluable.  I have Lottie insured with M&S too so glad to hear they're honourable.

Does Piper like swimming?  I know most cockers do but Lottie doesn't :roll:

Thanks Mary.  Know what you mean about insurance, hubby told me not to bother when we first got her but thank goodness I did.  I was so worried about M&S being difficult as well but so far no problems at all (phew)  :D

Piper would not so much as put her foot in the water a 6 weeks ago but we thought it may come down to hydrotherapy so we coaxed her into a lake whilst on holiday a few weeks ago and that has come in really handy.  She's not sure about the swimming but bless her she always comes out with a wagging tail  :D

She did 4 swims the first visit and 6 the second.  Lets see how many we do tomorrow.

Louise                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2004, 06:54:24 PM »
Well done Piper....how clever you are.

So pleased that the hydrotherapy is going well.                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Piper HD Update
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2004, 08:35:59 PM »
Louise

It's good to have an update on Piper. She's so lucky to have you and Charlie looking after her. Keep us posted on her progress. Srry we won't see you in Blackpool. Give piper a slimming dog biscuit from us. :)                    
Anita

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Piper HD Update
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2004, 09:27:21 PM »
I totally missed this for some reason - I'm so sorry. Good for her taking to the water though, I hope it helps her.

Shona xx                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)