Author Topic: stings  (Read 1139 times)

Offline dog2

• Site Member
stings
« on: July 03, 2004, 09:36:03 PM »
we were walking benj this evening and he was running along then started limping as I bent down to see what was wrong he went all wobbly frothing at the mouth and shaking all over he lay down and was panting loudly and his leg was stiff.When i took him for a walk with a neighbour last year exactly the same thing happened and he recovered fully after about 10 minutes as he did this evening.I recognised the symptoms and knew what to do for him.He is now right as rain as happened last year.Last year I actually saw him stung but this time i can only assume thats whats happened.When he gets to his feet he wobbles about a bit and stops and starts but as long as i put his lead on and he feels me through the lead he walks on and eventually goes back to normal as if nothings happened.I wonder wy he does this?If it was full blown shock then his tongue would swell up and we would be in trouble.Does anyone know if this will get worse?Have I just been lucky so far?                    

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
stings
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 09:53:47 PM »
Hi Dog2,

Sorry to hear about Benj and the sting.  I'm afraid I can't really answer your questions, but just wanted to say that Tilly was stung last year and I found it the most frightening thing.  I didn't know what had happened to her and at first I thought she had had a stroke  :shock:  :(  (because of the wobbliness and the disorientation).  I rushed her to the vet, who gave her a shot to bring down the swelling (she was stung on her leg and her mouth - typical Tilly, trying to eat the wasp!! :roll: )  I'm still not sure what to do should it happen again, particularly if we are out walking somewhere.  Does anyone have any advice?  What should we do, particularly if the sting is in the mouth and we are out walking away from phones and vets?

Like you, I would hopefully recognise the symptoms if it should happen again - but not sure what would be the best thing to do.

Hope Benj is fully recovered now, poor boy.

Sue and Tilly                    

Offline dog2

• Site Member
stings
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 10:17:56 PM »
yes it is frightening and it does come across as being like the dog has had a stroke.We had a heinz variety before benji and she was so lovely.when she had her first stroke it was just like this but her eyes went from side to side,benjis eyes were fixed.my daughter asked me if he was dead :cry: then he started panting and i was trying to get his mouth open to see what colour his gums were and if his tongue was swelling which wasnt happening so i just let him lie there til he wanted to get up.I aske my daughter if she had her mobile on her and she didnt as i was going to get my husband to come and get us as he is too heavy to lift.thanks for your good wishes :)                    

Offline Juel

• Site Member
stings
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 12:08:45 AM »
I'm so pleased this has been brought up as Gaynor & i often talk about this but both forget to post a question about it.........
Sorry i can't answer your questions peeps as i too wouldn't really know way to do if Harvey got stung......he is a devil for snapping at wasps especially when they get stuck against our patio doors,we do our best to keep him safe but i'm sure one day he'll get caught out & i do worry about it...........

......can anyone help us out,any advice would be welcome by us all i'm sure,what if any action should be taken if our cockers get stung especailly in  their mouths!!

Thanks for any advice xx
luv
juels xx                    

Offline PennyB

stings
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 02:28:44 AM »
I always speak to our vet nurse about this sort of stuff as they'll be able to give you a better idea (and that's what they're there for especially as we pay so much in vet fees and its free advice). They will have seen most things.

Ruby was stung last year and straight away I rang the vet practice for advice—now every time she sees a fly in the house she thinks its a bee and runs away!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
stings
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 10:33:12 AM »
If I were you I would talk to your vet. If a human is prone to anaphalxic shock then they wouldn't go anywhere without their emergency injection of adrenalin, carrying an antidote may be suggested with animals too?                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
stings
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 11:30:08 AM »
I had a nasty shock a few years ago when one of mine were stung.
She suffered from a severe reaction and went into anaphylactic shock. I was advised by my vet to always have antihistimine on hand. I now keep piriton in my dog first aid kit and show bag. I would have a word with your vet to see what they advise.

Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline dog2

• Site Member
stings
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 11:35:49 AM »
one of my sons has an allergy to stings and goes into full blown shock and carries an epipen.but strangely with benji he starts off that way but fully recovers in about 15 minutes the time it would take for my son to be completely unconcious.With benji the reaction is immediate and with my son it gradually builds up but as i say to a full blown episode.what i was wondering was if Benji will get any worse or if this is as far as these episodes will go.Will ask the vet for sure.