Author Topic: Jovi has a cough  (Read 633 times)

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Jovi has a cough
« on: July 19, 2004, 03:29:51 PM »
We came in Wednesday night having been to a friend's house and Jovi was coughing.  At first I thought he'd got something stuck as I'd left several chews for the two pooches.

The following morning he was still coughing but only when he got excited, so I made an appointment at the vets.  The vet said he'd definitely not got anything stuck (so I now feel a bit silly about holding him upside down and giving him a pat  :oops: )  The vet thought it might be kennel cough, he's had the vaccine but apparently this only protects from one strain of it (bacterial) and they can still get the viral bit.  I have some antibiotics and am now 50 quid poorer (I should have a standing appointment at the vets  :roll: )

Having talked to some other local dog owners, it seems there's a cough around our area in Hertfordshire, but Jovi only seems to cough when he gets excited!!  I'm hoping the antibiotics sort him out, but I'm not taking him out right now, and am keeping my fingers crossed that Neo doesn't get it. :?                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Jovi has a cough
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 05:27:21 PM »
It certainly sounds like kennel cough but as this is a virus, antibiotics have no effect whatsoever (same as with the common cold in humans). Unfortunately many vets routinely prescribe antibiotics as a precaution (in case of secondary infections) but most dogs don't actually need them so you may have wasted your £50 :wink: Most dogs respond well to small doses of Benylin when they have the dreaded cough. Garlic & fenugreek tablets are also useful (herbal tablets available from http://www.dorwest.com/)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Jovi has a cough
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 06:11:08 PM »
I think the antibiotics were to cover Jovi in case it was bacterial (like you say probably wasted)!

He's still happy and running about causing trouble so at least that's something  :D                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)