Author Topic: PRA  (Read 896 times)

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
PRA
« on: June 10, 2008, 11:48:01 PM »
What is PRA status B?? Is that a carrier?

REUBY DOOO!

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Re: PRA
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:07:10 AM »
Yep A = Clear, B= Carrier & C= Affected
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »
I don't want to ever breed from my bunch but thought about PRA testing out of interest, however if any did show as a "C" and likely to contract the disease, can you treat early and prevent it? I think at least one parent on each of mine was tested as A (normal/clear) anyway.

If the testing gave the chance to treat early, it would be worth doing, if not I am guessing there is no worth otherwise  :-\

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:03:32 AM »
prcd_PRA isn't a treatable condition as such although I think someone posted on here a while ago about supplements which had slowed down her Cocker's PRA. Not sure what supplements they were as the member didn't share that info & doesn't post anymore. It's a condition which is very variable in it's development anyway - some affected dogs go blind quite quickly whereas in others, it is a very slow progression over many years.

If each of your dogs has a parent tested clear, they will at most be carriers but will never develop the disease so there would be no point in testing unless you did have plans to breed.
Jane