Author Topic: For those of you who have done Optigen testing. Updated!!  (Read 4484 times)

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
For those of you who have done Optigen testing. Updated!!
« on: January 13, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »
Hi guys,

Bella is having a blood sample taken tomorrow to be sent off to Optigen in the USA.

Can I ask whether any of you guys packed the vile of blood with a frozen cool block to keep the blood refrigerated during transport?

also which postal service did you use and how quick was it?

Best wishes,

Mary xxx

Offline wales07

• Site Member
  • Honey - rest in peace my precious
Re: For those of you who have done Optigen testing
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »
When ive had the optigen tests ive always done it as part of a postal clinic in this country but have had to send the bloods to the clinic who then send them off to optigen.
What they asked me to do was just put a piece of kitchen towel around the vial and then put that in a resealable bag with the paperwork and then just put some bubble wrap loosly around it all.
There was no mention of anything to keep the blood cold.
Optigen email you when they recieve the bloods. The first lot of results for me came about 12 days after that email and the 2nd time was even longer but they did email to say that they were very busy. I think that some people have been lucky enough to get results within the week, just depends how busy they are.
Good luck.

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:13:24 PM »
Hiya,

Not doing it as part of a clinic. I've ordered the tests to be done with Optigen online. They ask you to send the blood sample to them and then they notify you when they arrive.

Basically I'd like to know which Uk to USA postal service people have used to send individual samples.
If I used airsure from the post office and posted it tomorrow afternoon then the packet is likely to reach it's destination on Monday. I was just thinking that this was quite a long time to be in transit and whether the blood sample would benefit from having a cool pack to keep it nicely refrigerated and fresh.

Best wishes,

Mary xxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:16:54 PM »
We've always sent our sample direct either to Optigen or Antagene and have never used a cool block. Don't think this would be necessary unless you are posting from a very hot country :-\

Some people use Fed-Ex to send samples as this will guarantee delivery within a short space of time but it is very expensive so we use Royal Mail's Airsure Service which has always been fine (although delivery will take 4 days or so)
Jane

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 03:18:59 PM »
I think the blood will be o.k till Monday at this time of year. I believe that Optigen ask for a cool pack during hot weather.

You could email Becky at Optigen and ask her, she is very helpful.

I have always sent blood with Fed-Ex but I usually test more than 1 at a time, the cost is around £54.00 so not ecconomical for one sample.
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 03:48:02 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your replies  :blink:

I think that we will send the sample off tomorrow afternoon with airsure and pray that it gets to Optigen in a suitable condition.

Have any of you guys had problems with your local vets not stocking the correct blood sample tubes? We've had to get one specially ordered in, I just hope that the vets have followed our instructions properly and got the right one!

Best wishes,

Mary xxx

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 03:51:59 PM »
I sent mine by DHL,next day delivery  but  it was quite expensive.

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »
Hi, got blood in tubes from vet, kept in fridge till could get to post office next day and sent airsure. No cool packs or anything. I reckon this is the best time of year to be sending bloods as no worries with heat, was a Jan I did mine (2007). optigen email you when get them and then again with results.
Fingers crossed for a good result for you.
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline wrenside

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »
Well our appointment for the blood sample is at 4pm today, just hope everything goes smoothly!
I have the documents for the vet to sign and date ready.
I have printed out two copies of the customs declaration forms (one to go inside and one on the outside of the package, signed and dated of course)
We have a sealable plastic pocket to put the blood sample tube and a page of kitchen towel in (in case of any leaks!)
We've got some bubble wrap and a good sized jiffy bag envelope to send it all in.

Have I forgotten anything?!!!

Best wishes,

Mary xxx

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 03:56:50 PM »
Well our appointment for the blood sample is at 4pm today, just hope everything goes smoothly!
I have the documents for the vet to sign and date ready.
I have printed out two copies of the customs declaration forms (one to go inside and one on the outside of the package, signed and dated of course)
We have a sealable plastic pocket to put the blood sample tube and a page of kitchen towel in (in case of any leaks!)
We've got some bubble wrap and a good sized jiffy bag envelope to send it all in.

Have I forgotten anything?!!!

Best wishes,

Mary xxx

I have just copied this from Optigen's web site under shipping...

US Customs requires that ALL international shipments have 2 written declarations specifying the contents of the package. One should be secured to the outside of the package & the other should be inserted inside the package. Please copy the following statements onto a piece of paper (just as it appears here) and make sure to sign and date this declaration

My understanding is that it should be hand written which is what I have always done.

HTH

Tracey
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 04:04:06 PM »
Sent mine Fed-Ex it arrived in NY next day (Tuesday) had my results via e-mail on the Friday of the same week.

I package the sample up in a padded envelope, (left the envelope open just in case Fed-Ex needed to confirm what I was sending) the tube surrounded in bubble wrap, Fed-Ex then packaged it again when they got here.

Offline KarenB

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 04:35:10 PM »
I was wanting to test one of my dogs but cannot work out the payment as it is in dollars, how do you work it out correctly.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 04:37:29 PM »
Do you mean you want to find out how much the tests cost in sterling? There are plenty of online currency converters you can use eg http://www.xe.com/ucc/. You don't have to worry about converting when you pay though as your credit card company will take care of that.
Jane

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 04:50:14 PM »
I used Parcelforce International Datapost both times which guarantees delivery - I think OptiGen require that the sample arrive on a week day then it can be stored ASAP rather than being left lying around. I didn't use an ice pack and it was fine.  I was pleased with the service but very expensive I think it was £35 at the time but it seems to have increased since I did one to around £47 but I did it as part of a satelite clinic which saved on the test but it had to arrive within a certain time period. HTH
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline heelers n cockers

• Site Member
  • Freddy Flashback-BIS Colne Valley '09 & RBIS '10
    • Moonwillow Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 05:08:06 PM »
just curious...but can you get your dogs results re-emailed if the original has been misplaced? also can this be done if the dogs ownership has been transfered?
Cocker Spaniels leave their pawprints on your heart......
Lancashire Heelers however.....leave their teethmarks on your trousers!

Champagne for my real friends...Real pain for my sham friends....

http://moonwillowcockerspaniels.piczo.com