Author Topic: Cocker breeders show type  (Read 1608 times)

Offline hblower

• Site Member
Cocker breeders show type
« on: January 17, 2020, 08:51:02 PM »
So having lost orin early December we have made a decision that we do want another one but in around a years time Easter. My mum is going to crufts as they breed clumber spaniels and show so I thought I might meet her there as we want another show type. We want a show type but OH us not keen to pay full show price as we won’t be showing but will be a pet home for life. Do any breeders have pups for sale not quite up to show standard that they go to pet homes? I have looked at rescue but seems so many hoops and issues. Of course I don’t want to buy from puppy farm and I want health tested.
How is best to go about it.   

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Cocker breeders show type
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:05:12 AM »
I would look at Champdogs website, and find the breeders on there. Then you can contact them directly. Even top breeders often have young adults that they  like to rehome, free, though with constraints on breeding and showing.. Also you can keep an eye on the rescue sites, though I agree that many of them have issues.
I adopted a top breeders’ springer, turned out she had an autoimmune condition. Then we bought very classy puppy Bobby, fully tested, who had severe guarding issues, and passed away at eight years from a kidney condition.  My sister in law has a gorgeous one , with dry eye.  The point is that you don’t know what any pup will develop, top breeders or not.  I can only say , much as I love spaniels,  my rescue mongrels are the healthiest dogs I’ve had.
I think if a good breeder has pups, they will sell them at the going price.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 02:43:37 PM »
I hope this helps but without swaying you, the main thing is you want a loving four legged friend in your life. Ollie is 12 years old and I know nothing about his pedigree if any as he was a rescue at 7 mths old and I was lucky that he somehow dropped into my lap without the hoops you go through at a rescue because my loss of my Jay was known by my boss who's sister volunteered at the rescue.

Jay was a pedigree show cocker and a true beauty in every way, when I lost him my heart was in pieces and my OH and I had the hope of a blue roan puppy but tragically he died, so along came Ollie, I don't have eye scores hip scores or anything but just a loving boy. 

We hear such awful stories about puppies, that we look to the best health and  the best knowledge of there background and that the test that the KC defines are all in place, but sadly as Phoenix says you just do not know how puppies develop and yes the breeder will get the price.  Have you thought about looking for an older dog, breeders do sometimes let older dogs go to good homes - also they sometimes keep a dog back to show and it does not take to it.

I would go to the Crufts and also look at regional shows in your area and engage with breeders, they might not be under such pressure at regional shows and ask questions, I must admit you will find some who are stand offish and others who are happy to talk.  I too would phone breeders as Phoenix suggest....as I to know that some will go the extra mile, when I was looking for my MIL cocker - I spoke to so many and the two that got back to me about and older dog will be there at Crufts (and have been for years!)
I would also look at http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/breedclubs.htm and make contact with your region area.  They may well know if any breeder is looking to re home etc.

Good luck
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline hblower

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 08:01:34 PM »
I think partly that’s the problem, orin was so healthy until he was 10, never went to the vets unless vaccinations I am always wondering if his diabetes was something I did and what if the next cocker gets the same condition.   I have looked on champ dogs but we are in Norfolk and there isn’t anyone locally, no assured breeders and several we seen on champ dogs don’t seem to have had litters for a while.  We want choc, or cho and tan or black tan I think. But yes I think partly the problem is everyone is miles away or no pictures of their dogs or their pages are not updated plus I just end up thinking I just want my baby back and I’m doing him an injustice by looking for another cocker.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »
I think we have all been there thinking we are doing the memory of our little darling wrong somehow, but with time you see how lucky you were and how loved your boy was and that somehow there is another dog out there wanting that love and devotion.
Just be kind to yourself and try not to question the diabetes, Jay had lymphoma and I used to ask myself why I hadn't noticed it before I did, and why the vet took so long for the diagnosis it and then treatment was not really an option, he was 10 too,  at this time the memories are raw and so is the loss, but try and think of the joy and love and maybe Orin could have gone to a life and owner who did not give the love and devotion that you both shared and cherished.
You will have days when memories kick in hard and others when you are stronger and the memories bring a smile.
Just take time and be kind to yourself.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed