Author Topic: First field training day  (Read 1825 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
First field training day
« on: March 11, 2007, 09:26:21 PM »
Well after arriving late (alarm didn't go off) >:( we needed to get up at 4.30am to be there at 7.00, leaped out of bed at 6.00 so not a good start missed out on chasing rabbits. Remembering we were allowed to join the Pointer and Setter field club, to everyones delight I arrived with my two cocker's, to the sighs oh look at their eyelashes aren't they cute  :005: Kody showed no interest at all and just howled when I left him to work with Indi.  She did a reasonable job showed great enthusiasm didn't take her eyes off the dumbell as it flew through the air but got side tracked and didn't return to me straight away I think once she settles into working in the open field with the cows and other distractions which she has never seen before will be OK. Then they started  water retrieves, they asked whether she would go in the water as she had never done it before I just said lets try. She watched the other dogs and went crazy :lol: with delight so much so, she went second, well everyone cheered ( I don't think they expected her to go in) she just flew straight into the water and brought it straight back. I think they thought she wouldn't do it again she ended up doing 3 impressed everyone our only problem was then I couldn't get her out she decided she would stay in and get everyother retrieve :005: by this time all dogs were off lead just for a swim even Kody went in. Everyone had there dogs and left the dam, there was Indi still just swimming, tail wagging not until I said well stay there, >:D I'm going without you and walked off with Kody did she finally get out. We had a ball and learnt a lot, it is so true what they say about obedience dogs only work in the ring get them outside in the field and they cannot focus, which is exactly what happened also all this training with food constantly at my obed club, doesn't get you anywhere when they are 50 metres away sniffing at cow poo!!!! what is more exciting cow poo or the sausage in my pocket ::) will be going again in couple of weeks  will keep posting our adventures, think Kody can stay at home with a big bone next time :luv:
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline James

• Site Member
Re: First field training day
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 04:36:33 PM »
oooo sounds good  :blink:

Good luck with next time  :D

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 12:54:13 PM »
Well we decided to try our luck at our first Gun Dog Working Test  :005: I knew field trials were no collar but didn't know or thought it was off lead collar on for GWT :o It was bucketing down with rain, both dogs were soaking wet and I was so wet even my underwear was wet :lol:  hope I set the scene, got to the start peg to be told take the collar off  :o well her collar only comes off when she is having a bath (thats another saga but I'll spare you that one) took the collar of firmly said work time and she took off and wouldn't come back I'm looking for her in the scrub only to be told by the judge she is right behind you ::) so we gave up on that part and just tried a retrieve she watched it go waited till I gave the command, jumped the gully  heading for the dummy then found something more interesting >:( so I had to find it.
Luckily I had already spoke to the judge and explained this was our first time, wanted to see how it worked in practice. Embarrassed, feeling rather silly knowing how much work we now have to do, mostly trying to control her she is hyperactive and can rarely sit still she only has 2 speeds all out or a sleep, she is only 2years old. The weather is cooling down now so hopefully I will be able to get out and practice working in open fields. How do you go from training mode, collar on and long lead so she doesn't do a runner, to no collar? Surely the dog knows no collar I'll do what I want where is the reward, I know the reward should be getting to retrieve which she loves, will chase and bring back almost anything  in the backyard or our local park.
 I'm going to try taking the collar off for backyard training and at the park then try a cricket pitch which is fenced how does this sound please help with suggestons I need all the help we can get.
Also will I include Kody in this training he is not really interested in retrieving well once or twice he will then he will find something else to do, sniff out possums he is only 16 months.
I know she is over the top with enthusiasm, but he is very quiet, lazy loves to cuddle with me on couch with only occasional bursts of energy running zoomies around the washing line but then has a lay down and a snooze, at Agility he can weave really well, now has the bounce  ;) but after twice through he has had enough which is always when the instructor is watching so he hasn't been passed up to the next class.
I feel guilty if I leave him at home and spend more time with her.
Help needed
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 11:11:44 PM »
get a slip lead and practice with a whistle. let her have a  controlled hunt as a reward when she is doing well. they prefer that to food.
http://www.countryloversstore.com/contents/en-uk/d22.html
 heres a website.