Author Topic: do your working cockers work?  (Read 3908 times)

Offline SJP

• Site Member
Re: do your working cockers work?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 08:15:09 PM »
Lola doesn't work.  I did take her to puppy agility classes and she has also been to a retrieving game class with German Shorthaired Pointers.  But currently she is not doing anything, she's like an actor - resting.
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 11:34:23 PM »
oh hannah how funny, what a love!  I wouldn't give up on storms hunting abilities just yet she's doing well... think she might just surprise you  ;)

Heh heh... but not sure I'm up to it.. haven't got a clue what I'm doing  :D Not going to give up though, love doing 'stuff' with her  :luv: Actually on that note, can anyone recommend a good book or two?

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Cazzie

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 11:24:24 AM »
All my mutts work even Daisy my JRT, I personally think you can get most dogs to work given training and patience. My cocker Sweepie is a tiny wee thing and tbh she is not that keen on picking up (only when she is in the mood) so I use her just to hunt when out shooting and use my Labs for retrieving.  :angel:

I think knowing your dogs well and furthering the skills that they are good at rather that what is seen as "what that breed should do" makes for a good dog and the main thing a happy dog  ;)

Offline Moss

• Site Member
  • Mac and Lyra
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 08:29:13 PM »
I'm saving all of this season's beating pay to buy a cocker puppy in the new year.  In the meantime little Sheltie Mac excelled on a day's beating today.  Flushed several birds, thought it was a right hoot and his best day of walking yet.  I explained to the gamekeeper that we had replaced a pointer with a Sheltie and I wouldn't bring him to the shoot but the keeper said that any dog will hunt and to give him a go. 
Claire

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 10:37:35 PM »
All my mutts work even Daisy my JRT, I personally think you can get most dogs to work given training and patience. My cocker Sweepie is a tiny wee thing and tbh she is not that keen on picking up (only when she is in the mood) so I use her just to hunt when out shooting and use my Labs for retrieving.  :angel:

I think knowing your dogs well and furthering the skills that they are good at rather that what is seen as "what that breed should do" makes for a good dog and the main thing a happy dog  ;)

here here!!! :D my working cockers help with the sheep.. :luv: