Author Topic: positive field training  (Read 3532 times)

Cazzie

Re: positive field training
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 10:33:05 PM »
Rachael, imy dog/dogs did not jigger off, they were sent off by me in a wood where I use for hunting on their usual walk and was unfortunate for one of my hens that it met its death as I did not know they were in there, not for the fact it was injured but the fact it was stressed and I did infact wring its neck its unfortunate that hens do not fly like pheasants and will not flush like pheasants. Now if the situation was different and goose had infact retrieved a pheasant that had been trapped and I had to dispatch it it would infact have been illegal and I would have had my backside kicked by Will.

Yes, it would have been - because you say that you sent your dog into the wood to hunt......most of us don't do this - we allow our dogs to play, and run, and chase balls - as pets, they are not trained to hunt - and if they unfortunately stumble across a sick hare or a trapped pheasant which they catch then it is classed as as ACCIDENT - and therefore not illegal  :-\ 

Owning dogs that are trained to flush and hunt comes with additional responsibilities...... :-\ For pet dog owners, the Hunting with Dogs legislation is of no consequence and should not be considered a threat to normal activities  ;)  A number of the pro-hunting lobby (especially here where they are particularly activist) have twisted this law to scare pet-dog owners into supporting them, and it just isn't true  ;)

You are 100% right rachael as always  :-*

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 06:50:54 AM »
With regards to ignoring food when they spot a rabbit, one important thing I've learned with Millies recall training is that she is not to have food at any other time. And if she ignores me (she's on a 30m rope as well) then she simply doesn't have that meal. Slowly but surely we're getting there - I hope  ph34r :lol:.

If I am reading this wrong I'm sorry - but are you saying you actually skip one of her meals  :huh:  or do you use the meal as training treats?

When training my two don't get fed before hand but will always get their meal after  :blink:   I use half of their actual meal as training treats (they get the other half in their bowls as their meal) and then have a high value treat for recall only - if they do a 'I'll come back but when I want' they get a piece of kibble when they actually come back, as I always praise for a recall even if it's been a couple of minutes later  :blink:
If they return as soon as the whistle has been blown then they get the 'High value' treat  :D 

I was really happy the other day, we were out walking in the forest and Fern went off after a deer - I blew the recall whistle - she stopped looked at me and then looked the way the deer had gone and returned to me  :D   (she was definitely in the 'Hunt mode' she got so much praise off me along with 3 pieces of the high value treat  :D and then we had a game too  :D )

ph34r Ok tbh I think this was a fluke but I was still soooo proud of her  :D

On the case of rabbits, books can only got so far in my opinion. Hands on experience works better in my opinion. It might well be worth investing in a day in a gun dog trainers rabbit pen. I have access to a very rabbity bit of land up in Cumbria and there I can use the dogs to find live rabbits sitting in the dry stone walls. I take the live rabbit out of the wall, tell my dog to sit next to me and then I let the rabbit bolt from my hands. I let the dog watch the rabbit exit the field and then I ask the dog to heel in the opposite direction to where the rabbit went. Then I do some fun ball retrieves etc... After doing this many times the dog becomes less excited by bolting rabbits and soon you are able to sit your dog at a distance and have a rabbit bolt from your hands and then call the dog back to you and heel etc...
I then use a long lead and allow the dog to "hunt" through a bit of rushy ground that I know will have some rabbits sitting in it (I usually do this in the corner of a field so that if the dog does give chase he can't go far). As soon as the dog finds a rabbit I pip once on my whistle which is my stop/sit command and I put my foot on the trailing long lead. This way the dog understands that he should stop and sit when he finds rabbits or any other game, but if he does get tempted into giving chase he can't because you've go the other end of the long lead. Pip again to get the dog to sit once he's calmed down a bit and then praise him. Again, repeat this as many times as you can and soon your dog becomes "steady" on live bolting game.

I hope this all makes sense!  :D

Best wishes

Mary

Mary makes total sense to me and IMO I agree that the OP would be worth investing in a day in a gun dog trainers rabbit pen, along with the help of the gun dog trainer  :D  (I would say it is money well spent to help deal with this and better than trying to learn from a book or off us over the internet  :D )

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 07:54:05 AM »
With regards to ignoring food when they spot a rabbit, one important thing I've learned with Millies recall training is that she is not to have food at any other time. And if she ignores me (she's on a 30m rope as well) then she simply doesn't have that meal. Slowly but surely we're getting there - I hope  ph34r :lol:.

If I am reading this wrong I'm sorry - but are you saying you actually skip one of her meals  :huh:  or do you use the meal as training treats?

When training my two don't get fed before hand but will always get their meal after  :blink:   I use half of their actual meal as training treats (they get the other half in their bowls as their meal) and then have a high value treat for recall only - if they do a 'I'll come back but when I want' they get a piece of kibble when they actually come back, as I always praise for a recall even if it's been a couple of minutes later  :blink:
If they return as soon as the whistle has been blown then they get the 'High value' treat  :D 

I was really happy the other day, we were out walking in the forest and Fern went off after a deer - I blew the recall whistle - she stopped looked at me and then looked the way the deer had gone and returned to me  :D   (she was definitely in the 'Hunt mode' she got so much praise off me along with 3 pieces of the high value treat  :D and then we had a game too  :D )

ph34r Ok tbh I think this was a fluke but I was still soooo proud of her  :D

Yes I skip the meal  ph34r but only because my behaviourist told me to!  Basically her two meals are fed on our two walks each day doing approx 5 whistle recalls per walk and giving a portion of the meal on return.  If she ignores me then she goes straight back onto a short lead, we go home and the rest of her food goes back into the feed bag. I had to do a week of training in the house first so she wouldn't fail and to get some extra weight on. So far (about 5 weeks) she's only missed about 3 meals worth. When I blow the whislte now ahe actually licks her lips  :005:.

Millies previous owners used to let her roam her local area so she now wants to chase everything, she also runs away from me as she's obviously been punished for coming back before.  As I own and work with horses, chickens, sheep etc. its really important I can recall her quickly.

And I'm sure that wasn't a fluke!! When Millie spots a deer she's like a kite on the end of the rope  ph34r :lol:

Millie