Author Topic: Working a show type cocker  (Read 3778 times)

Offline stuffster

• Luna
Working a show type cocker
« on: August 20, 2008, 10:23:52 AM »
Hi guys

Purdey is a show-type cocker, but she realy loves to use all her cocker instincts, such as sniffing and retrieving. She is fantastic at retreiving, even when I throw things out of sight, she finds hidden treats very quickly, and is very calm around gun shots etc and she is only 4 months old.

We have taken her along with us to see a few gun dog demonstrations and the gun dog owners have been really interested in her.

My OH and I live in the countryside in Suffolk and go clay pigeon shooting (Purdey falls asleep by our feet while we shoot!) and so we were wondering if it might be worth getting into working with her, but we dont really know if a) she will have the right attributes being a show type, and b) how to get started and get involved.

Can anyone tell me if we would be wasting our time and if not, can you point me in the direction of some good books or websites about what is involved and what we should be doing with her etc. To be honest, I dont yet understand the difference between all the different ways of working with dogs.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Working a show type cocker
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 10:41:37 AM »
Do you have a local Gundog Club?  That might be a good place to start - our local club offers a range of classes and events, including ringcraft, conformation shows held under KC rules, fieldwork trials and working tests  -a lot of the members compete in all of them, so it is certainly possible to work a show dog  :D

This is a link to our local club: http://www.iw-gundog-club.org.uk/ - which might give you an idea of the type of things that are available  :D

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 12:02:04 PM »
there are a lot of training books that I take 'bit's' from (never agree with all the training practices) - you could get Training Spaniels by Joe Irving, and for a different view, Clicker Gundog by Helen Phillips  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »
definitely head for your local gundog training class if you can find one specifically for spaniels you can do the lab or hpr classes but you won't get as much out of it.  Might help a little if you clip some of the hair off if your dogs really hairy especially off the ears and legs as these seem to be where most of the rubbish from the bushes ends up sticking and is always a pain to get out.

I think its fabulous that you want to work your show cocker.  There are videos from people like Simon Tyres alot of the well known field triallers have them and offer training either in groups or one to ones with owners that are well worth attending.

main problem I have found with cockers compared to the HPRs is the retrieving most adore the hunting side of things but aren't always so keen on the retrieving so lots of work on that with fun toys is a great start.

Offline jacnig

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »
The Gundog Club website is another useful tool and they now have training manuals available - as already said I never completly agree with all training from one source some are a little harsh for me as I love my poochs they are all very spoilt!!! :005:

http://www.thegundogclub.co.uk/

Have a go and enjoy what ever you do with her :D
Jacqui and the cocker crew

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:42:54 PM »
Oo. Steff, have you had any luck in finding any good shoots my way? Or is it just closer to you?

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:51:35 PM »
Alex

The Suffolk Gundog Club seem to be a really good bet. They have some cockers there already, and they seem a very friendlly bunch.

They are closed now for meet-ups until April, but as the dogs need to be at least 1yr old that is perfect for us. Not sure where they are based but it is Ipwich/Woodbridge-ish I think. I'll let you know when I find out more

Steff

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:14:19 PM »
The gundog club is great but its pretty expensive compared to a normal local gundog class...

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »
Yes, I looked into The Gundog Club and their courses were an astronomical price - about £150 I seem to remember.

The Suffolk Gundog Club is not related, I dont think, and is just a really nice bunch of people who work very hard and get very good results. I watched a demo of theirs at a country fair recently and it was very impressive. A gorgeous little golden cocker was leaping over 3 ft fences to do a blind retrieve!

Details from one website are as follows:
SUFFOLK GUNDOG CLUB
Contact:  Mrs A Musk  Tel: 01502 478280  e-mail: angela.musk@btinternet.com
Training: April to August
Breed:  Retrievers & Spaniels

but another says they are in Halesworth - bizarre. ANyway, maybe we could go along together when they reopen in April if you are interested, Alex? I could probably give you a lift. (also to save me the embarressment of being the only "new kid"  :005:

Steff 

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 01:12:10 AM »
thats great news - Im sure Paul Rawlings has a black show type in for training - think he had to take feathering off but it may be worthwhile contacting him?
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 02:45:21 PM »
I've been doing gun dog training with 2 of mine and they are show type. You can notice the difference in the working spaniel breeds and them but if Purdy's only 5 mths and loves retrieving I think you could be onto a winner. Mine are fine with everything except retrieve as I never made a fuss of ball games so even with the dummy they won't fetch, (well they would if there was a pair of my knickers or bras (cos thats all mine retrieve) wrapped round the dummy but thats going too far ph34r :005:).
Mine have full coats too.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 03:33:58 PM »
Where abouts in Suffolk are you both? PM me if you don't want to put it on the forum. If you're not too far i'd be interested too  :D
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »
The London Cocker Spaniel Society has a Field section, and they hold meets all over the south, in fact looking at last year's diary they had one at Long Melford, Suffolk.

You can find out more here
http://www.londoncockersociety.co.uk/field_home.htm

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 05:12:03 PM »
Where abouts in Suffolk are you both? PM me if you don't want to put it on the forum. If you're not too far i'd be interested too  :D

Hi Coco

Im in Woodbridge, near Ipswich. The gundog club is north of Ipswich I believe, but Im not sure where! It would be great to have other people to go with, when they restart training in April, so we are not the only newbies there!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 05:22:37 PM »
Hi Steph, just wanted to say how great it is you wanting to Work Purdey !!
We were obvioulsy at the show you were at - the one at Blenheim Palace.
We took are looking into workign Alfie - although he is a worker!
He is now 7 months and again been told its best to train from 1yr.
We just practice retrieval etc at home - he also has 27 FTCH in his Pedigree- which gives us even more interest in working him - not to get too serious, just more for a bit of fun really!

Let us know how you get on :)
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life