Author Topic: Working a show type cocker  (Read 3779 times)

Offline *AmandaB*

• Site Member
Re: Working a show type cocker
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 05:29:33 PM »
My perception was that the only reason not to work a show-type cocker was that you really should keep the working coat short while on a shoot for your benefit as much as theirs!! and if you need to do this the pristene show type long coat would be lost.
Other than that I didn't think that willingness or temprement of the show type was any different, just a question of the size of game that you want them to carry may be smaller according to size. Best of luck I love seeing the dogs working on a shoot whatever breed they are!

Offline PKB

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 09:57:15 PM »
There is no real difference between working and show types except that working strains have been breed for their resilience and stamina as opposed to their looks. As a result they may tend to be a little stockier and obviously have their coats kept short. However most show dogs still have all those same instincts just waiting to be allowed out.
There are two main roles for dogs on a shoot. The first is to flush the birds out and help drive them towards the guns. In this role cockers excel, after all it was what they were breed for! Depending on the terrain, cockers often have an advantage over the usual army of labs and springers, as being a little smaller they can get right into the thick of the brambles to flush birds out.
The second role is the actual retrieving of the shot birds. Cockers are essentially hunters as opposed to retrievers but that said I have seen many a fine retrieve by a cocker barely bigger than the cock pheasant it’s got in its mouth.
If you want to get involved further I would ask round the clay shooting ground you go to for information about local game shoots. This time of year most game shooters will be getting their eye in  with a bit of clay practice, as we come up to the main pheasant season.
Although most big formal shoots would not entertain a young untrained dog on a drive, you might find a local informal shoot where you would be allowed to join the beating line (i.e. helping to flush the birds out) with your dog on it’s lead.
You will be able to get the feel of the shoot and decide if it’s for you. There is no doubt your little one will love it but are you up for tramping miles in the depths of winter across all sorts of terrain for most of the day?
Go for the training, work on the obedience and work on all your fitness....
Also remember there is a whole sport of gun dog type related activities not directly related to shooting, which are a lot less strenuous and normally held in the summer.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 10:48:55 PM »
That's an excellent summary PKB (glad to see you back, did you get your two  :huh: ... sorry for another thread)

The biggest problem i've seen with a show working is the coat getting so terribly covered in burs and all and as they cannot be docked now I guess that could be an issue but then so many dogs aren't docked now. I have seen show cockers with natural ability and then i've seen some with none  :005: but I guess you could say the same for workers. I think they all have the instinct but maybe workers more so and they can have the stamina to go all day on a shoot. But essentially, it comes down to the indiviual dog and how it's been raised.

Anyway, let me know what y'all deceide as I want to do it 'properly' with Gizzy and she'll be 1 in April so it'll be the right age to crack on.

Also, if you guys haven't been on a formal shoot I could see about having a mini meet at mine and see if we could watch a couple of drives on one of OH's farm shoots. Not sure if it'll be possible but if you're interested I could see. Wherry will show you why formal training is probably better too  :005:  :005:
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 09:31:40 AM »
That's an excellent summary PKB (glad to see you back, did you get your two  :huh: ... sorry for another thread)

The biggest problem i've seen with a show working is the coat getting so terribly covered in burs and all and as they cannot be docked now I guess that could be an issue but then so many dogs aren't docked now. I have seen show cockers with natural ability and then i've seen some with none  :005: but I guess you could say the same for workers. I think they all have the instinct but maybe workers more so and they can have the stamina to go all day on a shoot. But essentially, it comes down to the indiviual dog and how it's been raised.

Anyway, let me know what y'all deceide as I want to do it 'properly' with Gizzy and she'll be 1 in April so it'll be the right age to crack on.

Also, if you guys haven't been on a formal shoot I could see about having a mini meet at mine and see if we could watch a couple of drives on one of OH's farm shoots. Not sure if it'll be possible but if you're interested I could see. Wherry will show you why formal training is probably better too  :005:  :005:

Purdey is 1 in april as well so it will be perfect timing for her too. Where are you based? Id definitely be interested in coming along to watch some drives if it was possible (with or without Purdey). 

Thanks PKB for that summary too - its just what I wanted to know. Im not going to ever be showing Purdey, so its not a problem to have her coat trimmed short for working. I'm sure she has the strength, stamina, enthusiasm etc for it - I think the steadiness is likely to be her biggest downfall, and having to stay quiet!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 08:44:05 PM »
I'm just a bit outside of Thetford.
OH has his shoot day usually 3rd week of Jan but on a weekday. Do you work or are you free daytimes?
If not i'll see if there is a weekend one but then i'll have to pass you off as my bessy mate or something rather than a fellow COLer  :lol2:
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 10:14:03 AM »
I'll PM you  :D

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Caticus

• Site Member
  • Ash at 12 weeks
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 01:52:44 PM »
I too have show cockers and am working on their training at the moment. As they are a little older they are docked which helps.
I am training them using clicker trianing. They are both very fit and are already obedience and agility trained so its progressing well.
I am lucky that I have found someone who trains his springers/retrievers to gun, though I don't think he is 100% convinced show strain cockers will work - a challenge for me!
I have a brilliant retrieve with the younger as we have always played with toys and he has done it from being 4 months old. He is now learning to pick up the scent. The older one we got as a rescue and I have had to teach him to retrieve from scratch - its taken a while but he's nearly there - however when it comes to flushing,no training need as his instinct is so strong.
I would suggest that a major part of the training is obedienced based - the sit and down stays are vital, in fact I have found that once you get the obedience bit correct you can train them to do anything.
The other thing I find imperative is that they watch you all the time. Mine have a "watch mum" signal and they will become oblivious to everything around them.
My only problem is that I have a mega phobia with pheasants so I need seom urgetn training too, I just hate their beedy little eyes, they look evil >:D :005:
If there is anyone in the north doing gundog/working trails with their show cockers I would love to hear from them

Lynn, Forrest and Ash