Author Topic: Scurries - scenting canvas dummies  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Scurries - scenting canvas dummies
« on: May 09, 2009, 11:36:49 AM »
We went to the North Somerset show last Monday and had a go at the scurry. Although Millie didn't retrieve as she's never seen a canvas dummy before  :005:, she did actually go off and search which I was sooo impressed with as there was so much going on and it was right next to tempting trees and hedges! Then she did a couple of retrieves when I threw the dummies for her  :angel:. Well my boss has lent me three canvas dummies and we've started doing a bit of training. Would putting some vanilla essence on them help at this early stage? Or will she then find it hard without the scent? She tends to get bit random and runs around without properly searching for them.

Millie

Offline millrace

Re: Scurries - scenting canvas dummies
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 09:33:34 PM »
kinda depends what you want to do with the dog...if you intend to work with it then there is range of scents available ie pheasant duck etc for putting on dummys to help them search and retrieve...all good gun dealers etc usually stock them or certain auction web site has them....dokkens prob the best... if its just for fun rub dummy on yourself to get started...apparently just our touch is enough scent for doglet to find......this at times i have my doubts tho..... :005:
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 08:06:44 AM »
We used to hold the dog and tease with dummy infront of their face then throw into open and tell them to get it. If they ran off enthusiastically and brought it back (and gave it up) then it would be thrown again. I've seen some wrapped in bird feathers or a rabbit skin to encourage them. Once they had the hang of that they would be thrown into the bushes but in full view of the dog at first to get them used to retrieving. Then it just progressed to throwing the dummy and using hand signals to send them left and right to locate it themselves when they had not seen it.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »
I wouldn't use any essences on the dummy other than the ones mentioned; pheasant, etc, if any at all. Otherwise, in tracking we just rub the item (usually a glove) in our hands or carry it under our armpits ( :P ::) the things we do for our dogs!  :005:) They have exquisitly fine tuned noses so don't need much.

Just start by throwing the dummy in her sight, hold her on a stay for a couple of moments, then release with the command "Find it!". Gradually increase the distance thrown, the time interval for the wait, progressing eventually to planting the dummy out of her sight, waiting a bit then sending her to "Find it", which she will now understand what that means  :shades:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline DLK

• Kirkbourne Gundogs
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 10:51:25 PM »
Your dog does not need any scent put onto the dummies.  One rub of your hands on the canvas is sufficient for any cocker. 

Putting a sweet smell on them will be to no advantage other than it will tell you when the ice cream man is coming up the road :lol2:

Cockers have great noses so dont worry about adding scent.

DLK
To gain respect we must give it.
www.kirkbournegundogs.co.uk