Author Topic: Has anyone used this trainer?  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Has anyone used this trainer?
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:40:07 AM »
Or even know anything about them? It seems like a farely big commercial kennel/training school but I'd be interested to hear of anyones thoughts or experiences.

Andrew Farley @ Warrenby Gundogs?

Please PM me if you'd prefer!

Thanks
Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline DLK

• Kirkbourne Gundogs
Re: Has anyone used this trainer?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:31:42 PM »
I have not heard of this trainer.  I feel that the most important thing to do when finding a trainer is to do your home work on him.  This is a great start using the forum.

When I get a new customer coming to see me I like to bring along my dogs to give a presentation to them. It is far easier to explain things when you have another dog.

I dont just take along the best trained dog I also take along the young ones so they are able to see the issues that I have to deal with.

So my advice to you is ask if you can view his/her dogs and ask others about the training methods used.

Hope this helps.

DLK
To gain respect we must give it.
www.kirkbournegundogs.co.uk

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 01:27:42 PM »
Many thanks, that's useful feedback.

I have seen him do a demonstration at an agricultural fair with his own dogs and people that work for his kennels- he used young dogs as well as experienced ones and the demo included working retrievers, spangles and HPR's. He also did a session where he asked 3 volunteers from the audience to have a go with his dogs. He also had a session with children (including my son who LOVED it :005:) in with the dogs acting as beaters and distractors and then meeting all the dogs etc.. I was very impressed, but I'm used to positive reward puppy classes, obedience and agility training and one to one with a behaviorist for some specific problems I've had with my rescue Weim. The dogs all looked very happy and worked brilliantly but I was a little concerned when he did the demo with 3 adult volunteers that in order to get the dogs focusing and respecting you as their leader... he advocated walking them to heel and changing direction giving a sharp yank etc until the dog was taking them seriously and focusing on them... It made me wonder if it becomes more physical and based on dominance/pack theories when they're not in front of an audience. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has had any one-to-one training and if so how comfortable they were with it.. I might be being too sensitive, not sure ph34r ph34r

With new clients, he does as you mentioned and meets up on a one-to-one with some of his dogs and your dog also.

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline DLK

• Kirkbourne Gundogs
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 04:52:13 PM »
He does sound like he knows what he is doing but there are lots of methods to walk to heel, I do heel work in a very very small area, instead of tugging on the lead what about leaning on the dog so you are pushing the dog around.

Never walk in a straight line with a dog that can not heel, it will always pull. 
DLK
To gain respect we must give it.
www.kirkbournegundogs.co.uk