Author Topic: gun dog training qs  (Read 1752 times)

Offline sneaks

gun dog training qs
« on: November 06, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »
We have a 3 and a half working cocker called Rogue. I would really love to train her up to do some gun dog training and have looked at the courses offered by the gundog club. But I have a few questions...

Is she too old?
What kind of people go?  - would we feel comfortable as we are 25 yr old students and not really green welly types :embarassed:
Do you have any course recommendations? 
Does she need to learn agility first?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: gun dog training qs
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:48:11 PM »
We have a 3 and a half working cocker called Rogue. I would really love to train her up to do some gun dog training and have looked at the courses offered by the gundog club. But I have a few questions...

Is she too old?
What kind of people go?  - would we feel comfortable as we are 25 yr old students and not really green welly types :embarassed:

contact the gundog club and see if you can go and see some training sessions (without your dog) - this will give you the best idea of whether you would feel comfortable with the methods and what's being taught and whether you would like to do it.

She doesn't need to learn agility first, and no I don't think she's too old.

oh and buy some green wellies - any other footwear won't cope with the English winter mud  :shades:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »

Is she too old?
What kind of people go?  - would we feel comfortable as we are 25 yr old students and not really green welly types :embarassed:

contact the gundog club and see if you can go and see some training sessions (without your dog) - this will give you the best idea of whether you would feel comfortable with the methods and what's being taught and whether you would like to do it.

She doesn't need to learn agility first, and no I don't think she's too old.

oh and buy some green wellies - any other footwear won't cope with the English winter mud  :shades:

Im 25 and I dont like boring green wellies either so I wear pale green ones with a pretty flower design on or my bright pink ones with mulitcoloured spots on ph34r :005:

I also have a pink and orange dog training bag and a pink whistle, hat and gloves  ph34r

and I wonder why mez wont take me beating with him

Offline JohnW

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 05:25:14 PM »
You don't necessarily have to join a gundog club to do some gundog training. There are plenty of working kennel owner/handlers who work/trial their own dogs and offer training services, aswell as many gamekeepers who also offer this service too, many are listed on the big gundogs sites.

Agility is very different altogether and can be simply a fun recreational activity upto full blown competition level. I found the training very different so I now have my agilty dogs and then theres my dogs I am train for the field. We started off as a bit of fun on both counts but are now starting to compete in agility. And I am now under the guidance of a very good trialer with one of my youngsters so see where that takes us  :D. It can be very addictive though so be warned  ph34r ;)

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »
my spanish water dog was turned 3 when I started training her for the gundog tests and so far she has gained her grade 1 and 2. She'll probably never go on a shoot, but we are having great fun training together (and its good practise for when the cocker arrives)
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »
Hiya

I've just started the grade one training sessions via the gundog club and I can assure you that no one was what I expected either!! One chap was in his track suit, I wore my black waterproof's and no one wore wellies (despite the fact it was raining cats and dogs) the only one who didn't look out of place was the trainer :005:

I have no intention of using her as a gundog but from what I have seen I like their training methods. Unless she ends up being really good at it (think I've got more chance of winning the lottery :005:) I just intend to have fun with her and come away with a better behaved dog...fingers crossed.

I do find some of his methods very old fashioned however and probably won't repeat some of them away from his lessons. :shades:

Mum to 2 girls, Darcy & Charley

Offline Caticus

• Site Member
  • Ash at 12 weeks
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 09:16:55 PM »
They are never too old - My 7 and half yr old passed his grade 1 today. You don't need to do agility.

When I started I hold my hand up and thought gundog people were as you, plus I was very suspect of their methods, however, while yes there are a few that fit the criteria, I have met some really lovely people who couldn't have been nicer, even if they were cynical about my methods and my show cockers, but they still supported me and helped.

I used my own trainer and then just took the tests when we were ready. It has helped with the general obedience of my two in a very positive way, that is a great add on. I was introducted to the whistle and from having two cockers that would disappear over the fields/beach etc and came back in their own time (you know that cocker look - I know you want me mum, but I'll come back when I'm ready) I now have two who will recall to whistle very quickly and about 95% of the time I don't need a second command.

Go for it - but as advised check out your trainer first.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 10:43:10 PM »
well done Lynn, :shades: nice to have you back on here! hugs to Forest and Ash for their achievements. :luv:
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk