Author Topic: not much training going on :(  (Read 1026 times)

Offline moola

not much training going on :(
« on: January 08, 2010, 02:15:43 PM »
I'm finding it really difficult to find the time to get any decent training in.... a nearly 5 year old running around driving me bonkers (I am praying for his school to be open on Monday).  Today my formal training class was cancelled.  I feel really :(
We are literally just trying to get all the dogs out and exercised (usually all together as my little lad doesn't want to be out for hours and hours - fair enough  ::)), keep warm and attend to the normal stuff.

Now there's all this talk of extended school closures..... :(
Lab lover who has discovered the dark side that is .... cockers!

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
Re: not much training going on :(
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »
Training has been put on hold for the last couple of months for me and Harvey due to it being pitch balck by the time I get home. The snow and Lyn's mollyfleeces have been a life saver for morning walks! I've been doing lots of clicker work in doors and playing retrieval games!

Offline sophiew

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 02:40:05 PM »
Same here - dog club term started Tuesday, so I made the effort and trekked over there (doesn't start till 8.30pm) only to find I was the only one there! So had a good catch up with my trainer, had a cup of tea, and came home! Poor Henry was quite confused, he went rushing into the hall to see the other dogs and it was empty!

It's so hard to get motivated when it's so cold and dark, apart from anything else.  I got the Kyra Sundance book, 51 puppy tricks, for Christmas, so have been trying to teach  Tally something new from that with a clicker. We've been doing more indoor games, kongs etc. to keep them active but it's a struggle! I used to hire our village hall just to have some space to train my own dogs - haven't done that for a while!

Sophie
x

Offline moola

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
just heard that I should expect an email from the school about next week.  sounds pretty ominous...
Lab lover who has discovered the dark side that is .... cockers!

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 03:22:30 PM »
I've only just started doing a bit of clicker training with Lexi (well today really), as they not getting a walk as its snowing a blizzard.  She's obviously been taught her sit and down, as those "clicked" (s'cuse the pun) quite easily.  So we've been working on stand, wait and fetch (mainly fetch).  Am quite pleased with what we've done today.  She's now relaxing with a chew :D  Her dog classes don't start until February so hopefully we have made a good start.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:39:24 PM »
Aww bless, Harvey still gets little bits of training in the dark so that he is not completely free running as he does like to just cruise around and do his own thing.  We take the whistle so he still sits to whistle both on and off lead to keep reinforcing that command with stays as well when off lead, if he is off lead in the dark we still do some close right and left direction work and basic retrieving - Harvey is far better at retrieving in the dark and actually quarters so sometimes I think it helps.  When proper dark we just put a flashing collar on him, the snow is much easier to see him though...

and sometimes we just walk  :D

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 07:42:12 PM »
Sunday's training session is now cancelled - am gutted as I was really hoping to get a bit of direction for our training :'(

Dratted weather!!! >:( GO AWAY SNOW!