Author Topic: First, totally unplanned, shoot!  (Read 1214 times)

Offline hanandhen

First, totally unplanned, shoot!
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:32:41 PM »
Henry and I are just back from our first shoot! :shades:

Sorry no pics, this was not exactly planned and I didn't have my camera with me. The one we were going to was called off for us as my friend couldn't make it, so I had resigned myself to waiting until the New Year for a chance.

So, this morning I drove up to my parents' house in Leicestershire, and when we arrived I took Henry to Bosworth Battlefield for a walk. We saw this group walking towards the path towards us, I thought they were ramblers so put Henry on the lead... but it turned out they were a load of beaters and guns about to start a drive. Got chatting to a nice man (Mike) with a cocker called Charlie, and he asked if I'd like to tag along for the last couple of drives! So Henry and I have been beating this afternoon!

Hen was quite good, he did whine a bit, but just through excitement. I kept him on the lead, and we ended up stood quite close to a gun, but he was ok. At the end of the last drive I let him off, he was off in a flash to meet all the other dogs and thoroughly investigated the pheasants (and tried quite hard to pinch a squirrel someone had shot ph34r :005:). In fact he ended up in the game wagon.... I am taking this as a sign he wants to go again. He liked it so much that as we walked away and I let him go, he turned round and tried to get into the game wagon again - the shame ph34r But someone caught him and so all was well!

We can't have been too much of a hindrance as we were invited along again - although sadly they shoot during the week and are 100-odd miles away from me, or I would definitely go. Everyone was really welcoming and even though Hen was not on his best behaviour no one seemed to mind ph34r

So I am just sitting while my dog walking coat goes around in the wash - it looked a bit mucky after all that climbing through the woods ::) All that worry about being properly dressed, and I end up wandering around in a bright green puffa jacket ph34r :doh:

I don't suppose they will see this, but a big thank you to Mike, David the shoot owner (who looked a bit non-plussed to have gained a beater halfway through the day, but didn't seem to mind!) and all the other lovely people who I spoke to :003:

Can't stop grinning :banana: :cool4: :clapping:

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
Re: First, totally unplanned, shoot!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:35:03 PM »
Sounds like you both had a great day, well done. Total surprises are always the best.

Eve

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 05:01:29 PM »
Well done both of you - sounds like a grand day out  :D

(btw, have you just posted on Horse and Hound Forum? - if not, there is someone who has had a remarkably similar day to yours  ;))

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:55:04 PM »
Yes, it was I ;)

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:23:07 PM »

(btw, have you just posted on Horse and Hound Forum? - if not, there is someone who has had a remarkably similar day to yours  ;))

:rofl1:

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:20:35 AM »
O glad you all had a fab time!!!!!!!

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »
I'm grinning for you after reading your post  :D

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.