Author Topic: Dual purpose  (Read 1396 times)

Offline FancyNancy

Dual purpose
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:27:10 AM »
I just wondered if there is anyone here who has a dual purpose cocker? Do you think if you strat early enough you can get a good show dog who can also excel as a gun dog? Cockers seem so divided to an absolute degree whereby the workers work and the showers show but dont really consider work and I would like, in the future to try and have a dual prupose show type cocker. Very few cockers in the show ring seem to be made up to full CH as it appears they just dont work and i'm not so sure whether this is largely because the exhibitors do not have any interest/particular want to participate in such disciplines or is it as some people have said that the show cockers no longer have the ability to work?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Dul purpose
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 09:06:05 AM »
There are several show exhibitors who also very keen on working their dogs - Sue Cox (Suvern) and Gill Pearce-Gudger (Pearkim) spring to mind but it's true that it's been a while since we had a Full Champion. It's not easy to get a Show Champion in this breed let alone a Full Champion :D If you want to know more about working show-type dogs, Sue is a member here so perhaps you could PM her (SueC is her username, although I'm not sure how often she logs on here)
Jane

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 09:08:17 AM »
The difference is so obvious between working and show types that it would be extremely difficult produce an actual dual purpose cocker. You couldn't really do both as the coat required for showing would get in the way when working  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
it's hard enough to win a field trial even for a workign cocker.
I think you'd have to make a dog up in the show ring (after having instilled the basic 'want' to worka nd hunt as a pup) and then clip tjhe coat off and work it in the field.
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline PippaMattinson

• Site Member
    • Pippa Mattinson
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 03:32:06 PM »
I think the docking laws have probably bought an end to much hope for dual purpose hunting dogs,  even in breeds where there was less division between the two strains than in cockers (some HPR breeds for example)

Pippa

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »
I think the docking laws have probably bought an end to much hope for dual purpose hunting dogs,  even in breeds where there was less division between the two strains than in cockers (some HPR breeds for example)

Think you're right there sadly :(
Jane

Offline FancyNancy

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:33:43 PM »
yes there was the great docked and denied suplement(sp?) in dog world. I realise its not an easy task and thank you Jane S for pointing me in the right direction of useful people to talk to. I would love to one day produce dual purpose cockers but know there are going to be issues that come with that. I have a litter of puppies at the mo and the tattooist's husband works springers and was interested and so had a great conversation with them about working show type cockers. I guess its also proving this fit for function KC campaign as well. I am hoping to maybe get involved with a shoot this winter (with out a dog as I dont have one) basically to see the ins and outs of what really goes on and how it works (not just what you read) so i think that will be a great eye opener  :D