Author Topic: Cockers rule!!!  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Ali101

• Isla
Cockers rule!!!
« on: October 14, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »
Went to our first gun dog training session today and took Isla (7 months) and Penny (lab 2 years) and we were training with 4 other labs......
Isla was a STAR   :luv:  she more than held her own and was probably the second steadiest dog there, me and the OH are just so proud   :D
Considering her drive and energy, she was able to focus, and apart from me forgetting my whistle on one occasion, did near.perfect retrieves.
Sat snoozing at my side now.... :luv:
Clever, clever girlie.
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
Re: Cockers rule!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »
Way to go Isla  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 08:36:42 PM »
Thank you for your support   :D
Having  always being lab owners, we are only now discovering the delights of being cocker owners, but just glad to have such a clever girl.
 :luv:
Ali, Pen and Isla xxx
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 08:50:14 PM »
Just one problem with cockers...one isn't enough  :005:

I bet you have seen some big differences between Isla and your labs though  ;)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 08:59:33 PM »
at 7 months that's just brilliant - way to go Isla :clapping:

Offline Honormum

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 09:01:26 PM »
Excellent! Well done, both of you! :D :D

We've got a lab, 11, and a 9 week old show type cocker - great combination! We previously had a Springer with our lab - I think any combination of gun dogs works well. :D

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »
We have always loved our labs, but Isla, our little cocker whirlwind, has been a great learning curve, and has stole our hearts completely.... :luv:
Last night, my OH said "Oh, I do love that little dog", which is all the more meaningful as he was reluctant to get a second dog. However, her drive, intelligence and focus has been a revelation to us.
Penny (lab) is a beautiful, loyal girl; but a bit of a plodder, so we feel we now have the perfect mix.
And they do love each other so  :luv:
I was a bit suprised that none of the other people taking part even mentioned that Isla had done so well, we might educate them yet that cockers rule, I think they were embarassed... :shades:
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »
On my friends shoot there is a lady with 8 working cockers  :luv:...to watch them work is really something to see  :D we have always had Springers and cockers, excellent combo  ;)

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »
Isla is a born 'worker', in more than name. Her whole little body was tensed and ready for action when the dummys were being thrown, but at the same time she was steady and able to wait her turn and did all that was asked.
For her age, it was unbelievable. I know we are biased, but she is a very special girl    
 :luv:
My brother in law has springers and they have all been lovely dogs too, gun dogs are the best
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline maddy74

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 11:19:12 PM »
Well done Isla  :clapping: :clapping:

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
She sounds absolutely amazing - way to go Isla!!!

Offline Ali101

• Isla
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 02:17:45 PM »
Thanks all, for your posts. I wasn't sure where to put this post, choice of working or training, as it was gun. dog training for a working cocker........ :005:
We are back training again later, but only for a short time as we know it is not good to overdo it., The good days certainly keep the motivation levels up, but we are aware that Isla is still a youngster, so won't be overdoing it.
Ali, Pen and Isla xxx
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline Ali101

• Isla
Re: Cockers rule!!! Update 20.10.12
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 06:45:01 PM »
Attended our second gun dog training session today and can bearly believe the ignorance and lack of sensitivity about a person who was next to me in the line-up. I was there with our lab, Penny, and OH was in charge of 'gun dog training superstar' Isla....when this person turned to me and said "is your cocker friendly?". Bearing in mind that Isla had had loads of big black labs in her face from the word go, and had been super-good and super-cool, at all times, it seemed a strange comment.
She then went on to say that ALL the cockers she has ever met were nasty and that in her opinion, "the only thing cockers were good for in her opinion was kicking"....
 >:( >:( >:( >:(
I could barely believe my ears  >:D
Apparantly she "shows" her dogs (shows herself up, more like!!!) and thinks cockers are rubbish.
I said my cocker is better mannered, more intelligent and definitely better looking than most people I meet......
Not sure with her limited intelligence that she got my meaning  ;)
I think it was "cocker-jealousy", as the trainer has made a point of saying how impressed he is with Isla, and bearing in mind she is a baby compared to the others.
You always hear the saying that "It takes all sorts...", it sure does in gun dog training.... ;)
Ali, Penny and Isla xxx
Ali, Penny and Isla x

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 08:14:28 AM »
What that lady said to you about cockers has made me feel sooooooooo cross!  >:( >:D >:( >:D I can only marvel at how you restrained yourself so well! What an ignorant person she sounds. Definitely a bit of the green eyed monster in her.....

PS Well done little Isla, anyway - she sounds a lovely, clever little girl.  :luv:
To know them is to love them.....

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »
It beggars belief that anyone would say that, what a horrible woman. Sounds to me like she is jealous.

You and Isla need to just get on and show her now, and I'm sure you will.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x