Author Topic: No reason to euthanise.  (Read 5793 times)

Offline PaddyMcGinty

No reason to euthanise.
« on: May 04, 2018, 08:29:51 PM »
Pat is estimated by our vet as being 18/19 YOA.

Pat has been totally blind for two years now. He bumps into all sorts in the house whilst wagging his tail, so is more than happy. Best thing I 've learned is to body guide him.

Loves his dinners and treats. He's a happy boy still. Stroke him and he goes all silly so very much alive.

I and his groomer have arranged his clipping over two days to reduce stress. Bath, come home and then clipped next day. Vet, me and Groomer all caring for him. Hard though when he faces in to a wall and has no idea where he is when two years ago he was chasing a ball.

Few weeks ago I was ready to PTS. The smell etc. Now, no way. Until he stops eating I'll be by his side.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: No reason to euthanise.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 01:00:56 PM »
Sounds like he is ok in himself, and you will both learn to cope with his disability. Xx

Offline fionad

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 07:09:46 PM »
What a great age! Well done to you for keeping him healthy and happy.

Offline PaddyMcGinty

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 02:27:22 PM »
Thanks "fionad" but I think it's pure luck as to how long they last. First  boy was 8, kidney, second 13, spleen.

Patrick can longer feel his bowel movements, so the time should have come, plus he's totally blind and only hears my voice when I speak in a high pitch.

This morning was the perfect storm for PTS.  Walking around pooing in the house.( He doesn't realise.)  Enough Orijen for today only. Groomer cancelled as he was sedated last week for a suspected ear seed.

This was 7am and Vet opens at 8.30. I was determined to arrange euthanasia. I just couldn't do it and ordered another huge bag of food.

The putting down  I have no problem with. It's walking him in there.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 02:38:16 PM »
Oh dear, I do feel for you. Would your vet come out to you? My last two dogs were PTS at home and it was a lot less stressful for all concerned! Thinking of you!  :bigarmhug:

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 03:18:29 PM »
Agree!   I had vet and nurse come out to my Labrador. It was very peaceful, in her own bed , snoozing in a gentle breeze at the back door. It?s always heartbreaking.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 10:32:29 AM »
I too had the vet come to the house, it was my boys home and where I wanted him to be, I am thinking of you and can understand the pain, be strong for your boy Patrick - I woud ring the vet and ask if it is possible and it is what you would like, and then when the time is right you can phone them.

I think you are realizing the time is near and your boy is a grand age, thinking of you.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline PaddyMcGinty

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 05:36:09 PM »
It's not about the vet coming here it's me conning my dog. Put him in the car for a walk, then kill him. That's what upset's me.

Booked for 12.10 Saturday, tomorrow.

The worst thing is too, I'll never have another dog due to my age, and that fills me with the most unbelievable sadness, as a house is never a home  without a dog.

Offline Issy

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
You are absolutely doing the right thing for him but I understand how devistating it is for you and will be thinking of you both tomorrow.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
I too will be thinking of you both tomorrow  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Your age need not be a barrier to having a dog in your home.
Lots of rescues are desperate to find homes for elderly dogs who have lost their owners, or have been pushed aside for a younger version ( >:D).  These types of dogs are often overlooked by people who want younger dogs.  Most rescues offer support and financial help to adopters willing to take on  older dogs who may have medical conditions. 
Whilst I do understand your reluctance at this moment as you are feeling very emotional, it could be something you may want to consider in the future.
Or maybe foster a dog before a permanent home is offered to it.
Take care of yourself and Patrick tonight  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 07:53:11 PM »
Will be thinking of you tomorrow as you do the last good thing you can do for your lovely boy.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 12:34:59 PM »
I cannot find the words to say to understand the sadness.  What a wonderful friend you have had with your dear Patrick

Thinking of you
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 04:51:20 PM »
So sorry to read this, run free at the bridge Patrick xxxx
We are thinking of you at this very sad time.   :'(

When the time is right maybe you could rescue from the Oldies club or Cinnamon trust because, as you say, a house is not a home without a dog.  Xx
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline PaddyMcGinty

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
Pat's still here, full tummy and snoring.  I'm a wimp.
Thank you for all your kind words.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 09:01:51 PM »
Aww bless. Love to Patrick, you will know when it?s the right time ❤️
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12