Author Topic: Trained to wee on newspaper what now?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Curlywurly

Trained to wee on newspaper what now?
« on: October 10, 2018, 09:51:39 PM »
So, I was advised to train my puppy to wee on newspaper, which she does at night.  But I would like to try and get her to hold it overnight!  How do I do this? Is she old enough at 5.5 months? Am I expecting too much?  If not, what are my next steps? My pupppy is locked in the kitchen at night with an open crate and newspaper at the back door.  Most nights she has wee?d and sometimes poo?d.  Any tips would be appreciated thanks

Offline bmthmark

Re: Trained to wee on newspaper what now?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »
My advice is to take her out before bed, remove all the newspaper and see how long she lasts. She will more than likely let you know if she needs to go.
If she goes inside (highly likely) just take her straight outside and use your command e.g. go wee. Then clean mess up using cleaning products, otherwise she will smell it and it will encourage her to go again.
I wouldn't make a big deal about it if she does go inside as to be fair to her this is what she has been taught.

As she gets older, her bladder will get bigger and she will eventually last the whole night.

Good luck, for me this was the hardest part of owning a puppy.

p.s. remove the paper asap

Offline pibbo1968

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 04:10:09 PM »
We didn't bother with paper at all with Jura.The first couple of weeks he woke us in the night(cage door closed) but never went in his cage.It was usually around 4am.By 12/13weeks he went all the way through the night.He had the odd accident in the daytime but was fully house trained by 14/15 weeks.

Offline ChrisS

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 08:39:19 PM »
We went down the crate route with the door locked at night. You can still adopt some of the principles we read about even at this stage.
If you have an idea how long your pup can go you have a starting point. Unfortunately it involves getting up just before you think your pup can?t hold on any longer and taking them outside.
As we didn?t know how long Smudge could hold on for we started setting an alarm and then extending when we set it. He didn?t tend to make a noise so we bought a second hand baby monitor which worked well . He is now 7 months old and we take him out for a wee about 10.30 put him in his crate and he doesn?t move until we come down between 7 and 7.30.
As everyone will say every dog is different and we have been extremely fortunate (as 1st time owners).
I?m sure you could adopt some of this.

Offline pibbo1968

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »
As everyone will say every dog is different and we have been extremely fortunate (as 1st time owners).
This I think describes us also.Having not had a dog since I was a child(70s/80s) I was dreading House-training but for us at least it wasn't anywhere near as bad as we thought it would be!

Offline Curlywurly

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 06:05:04 PM »
Well I think pippin May have heard me as she?s been dry for 4 nights so I think she?s getting it.  Thanks for the advice, I have removed the newspaper.