Author Topic: Maisie the Thief  (Read 1588 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Maisie the Thief
« on: January 20, 2021, 09:25:53 PM »
I have posted on here before about Maisie being an incredible thief.  Well, she seems to have a complete obsession with my glasses (specs).  So far she has destroyed 6 pairs.  >:D >:D  I now have a notice on my coffee table reading NEVER LEAVE YOUR GLASSES ON HERE.   It has worked up to a point, but I had a bad fall on the ice about 3 weeks ago and was in a great deal of pain. I fell heavily onto my left hip, for which I am awaiting a hip replacement.  So because I was in pain and very tired, I left the room and when I returned, about two minutes later, there she was in her normal spot when she has something she should not have, lying in front of the log basket, crouched over something.  My new reading glasses, totally destroyed in two minutes. I  could have cried, the last straw on a dreadful day.  I collected three pairs of new glasses at the beginning of December from Specsavers, the reading glasses cost £155.00.  I phoned Specsavers the following day and managed to get the price down to £129.00 to replace them, but I haven't ordered them.  I now have 4 new pairs from Amazon.  Not exactly the correct prescription but obviously a lot cheaper.   On Monday morning I happened to catch her, by some miracle, crouched over something.  I said loudly WHAT HAVE YOU GOT, not that she can hear me, Maisie is deaf.  Amazingly I had caught her just in time and the glasses were undamaged, if a little slimy.   She had gone into my bedroom and taken them out of the open case on the bedside table.  I had slipped up and not closed the case when I took them off to settle down to sleep. 

Anyone got any ideas how to deter her.  It is getting very expensive.  She is not destructive in the house.  No problems with furniture, skirting boards or any of the usual items.  She is just totally obsessed with spectacles.   I am getting pretty good at putting them out of her reach when I take them off, but I know I will slip up again one day, and Maisie will be ready and waiting to pounce.  She is a very clever little dog and watches like a hawk, I suspect because she is deaf.  I love her dearly but this is getting beyond a joke.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Maisie the Thief
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 07:15:34 AM »
i do sympathise and I know it is, as you say, beyond a joke but I ashamedly admit I still had to laugh!  :005: (sorry!) I do know the problem though, my last dog had a similar habit....
The only thing I can possibly think of, apart from wearing them round your neck (as my OH does) is to maybe smear the frames of an old, stooge pair with something nasty tasting or pungent smelling and then leave them somewhere you know she‘ll find them so she might learn that specs aren‘t nice. A bit of a long shot but anything‘s worth a try.......
Or, again try and train a visual leave command, specifically with the specs i.e. put them in front of her and when she goes to grab them, cover them with your hand, give  the command and when she leaves them, reward her with something else like a toy...
It must very very very annoying but if its any consolation, The Tales of Maisie are keeping  us all entertained during lockdown!
 :luv: Best of Luck!!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 09:12:37 AM »
Would you like us to donate our old pairs  :005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 01:17:22 PM »
Would you like us to donate our old pairs  :005:

That‘s a SPECtacular idea!

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 08:37:03 PM »
I did buy a chain for my specs when I got the new ones, she crawls across my chest to take a look, or a nibble, when I take them off and they are hanging from the chain.  Totally fascinated with specs.  As long as I can continue to remember to put my distance glasses out of her reach when I take them off, that won't be too expensive.  I can keep Amazon in business with cheap reading glasses.  Nevertheless I do love her dearly.   

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 08:49:03 PM »
Oh Maisie Mischief, you are a little devil.  I am sorry to hear about your fall, very painful and exactly what you don't need.  I can't think of anything other than the chain to keep them on.  I think OH bought a few pairs from Glasses Direct, he found them a little better than the Amazon ones, and still pretty cheap.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 09:13:18 PM »
You could buy a load from pound shops or similar.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----