Author Topic: Swollen paw - no walks hell - tips to burn off excess energy  (Read 1776 times)

Offline fionamarymac

Swollen paw - no walks hell - tips to burn off excess energy
« on: January 26, 2021, 05:10:38 PM »
Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing alright during these tough times. I posted on here a little while back about getting my wcs pup from a gundog kennels. Oran is now just over 7 months and a lovely dog. Things have been going so well and then last Thursday he suddenly was completely lame on a walk. Wouldn’t put any weight on his back right paw.

The vet thought it might be a broken toe which thankfully an X Ray confirmed it was not. He’s now starting to walk almost normally but they can’t be sure it’s not a torn ligament which means zero walks and no off lead for six weeks (when he is allowed out). So basically we’re both going mad. He’s being as good as he can be he’s not getting any energy burned off unless he just completely loses it in the house with barking and zoomies. It’s really sad and I feel even more isolated than usual with the covid and this! I take him out in the car and sit with him so he gets a change of scene and do games and training but does any else have experience of this and many any tips to relive the boredom?

This is though for energetic pup and hard for me wfh too as he’s more disruptive!

Any advice hugely appreciated. Thanks all. Xx

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
Re: Swollen paw - no walks hell - tips to burn off excess energy
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 05:42:57 PM »
Oh no, poor you and poor Oran!

My brother's dog (working cocker x working lab with hugely high energy) has just had surgery for hip dysplasia and wasn't allowed to walk at all for 10 weeks.  So it was lots of training for mental stimulation - but for things that didn't involve lots of movement or running around like barking on command.  It sounds like you have this covered already though!

She also had lots of chews (low calorie as she wasn't burning energy) like deer antlers.

Is he happy in a crate?  My brother's dog is, which made it easier, but it wouldn't work for every dog.

Hopefully you will get lots of good ideas from people here to keep him entertained and you sane

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 05:54:46 PM »
Mental stimulation is all I can think of, if I remember rightly (quite a few years ago now so I may have got muddled) @Nicola (mod) on here had to crate rest one of her dogs for a while - hopefully she will pop on shortly and maybe able to offer some suggestions

Wishing you and especially Oran a speedy recovery  :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 06:35:33 PM »
I can only suggest mental training too I‘m afraid, if he enjoys nose work you could maybe start and try to teach him to differentiate between smells, - there are lots of Youtube videos online.
I can imagine how frustated you‘re feeling, hope the little chap‘s feeling better soon!
 :bigarmhug:

Offline fionamarymac

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 08:18:19 PM »
Thanks for support and tips all. He actually seems so much better, walking completely normally now so we’re off to the vets tomorrow and hopefully it’s not as bad as we thought and he can get some exercise soon. Feeling a lot more positive!

Thanks again all.

Xx

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 06:39:13 AM »
Nina Ottosson by Outward Hound Dog Twister Interactive Treat Puzzle Dog Toy, Advanced

I ordered a treat puzzle on Amazon two weeks ago for Maisie.  I give it to her around 8.30 pm and just use one small sausage cut into tiny pieces, one piece in each section of the puzzle. (Don't want her gaining weight). She absolutely loves it.  You can lock each section to add extra problem solving for Oran, I haven't done that yet with Maisie as it's not particularly necessary to occupy her for an extended period.  I'm sure Oran would soon get to grips with how to unlock each section and retrieve the treat.  It is very robust, it must be if it's Maisie proof.  Good luck  :luv: and hope you are soon able to get out and about with your boy.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 01:15:43 PM »
Thanks for support and tips all. He actually seems so much better, walking completely normally now so we’re off to the vets tomorrow and hopefully it’s not as bad as we thought and he can get some exercise soon. Feeling a lot more positive!

Thanks again all.

Xx

How did it go at the vets yesterday? Hope Oran is improving  :luv:

Offline fionamarymac

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 09:59:34 AM »
Thanks Andy B. I bought the puzzle. It is robust and yes does need to be as I think Oran thinks it’s a kong and likes to pick it up and throw it to get the treats out! A good buy though.

The vets says he seems well and is not in pain at all but does need to remain on the lead for four weeks so the ligament knits back together. At least we can go out and he’s not in pain! He’s coping very well for his age though.

Thanks again all! On the mend now.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 12:15:50 PM »
Good to hear he isn’t in any pain and on the mend  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 09:10:27 PM »
That's good he is comfortable and you can get him out on the lead.  Aside from this, how are you getting on with him, it sounds like he has settled in really well.