Author Topic: I am so apprehensive about walking Ollie  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
I am so apprehensive about walking Ollie
« on: March 04, 2021, 02:45:12 PM »
Last weekend two cockers were stolen about 15 miles away and owners are devastated to say the least.
It is really becoming scary - these monsters not only take our beloved babies but are becoming more and more aggressive punching and pushing owners.
I do not want to scare us with this post but please be careful on the routes you take.

I know there is talk of trying to make punishment stricter for these scum bags - but I am not sure if it will help or even happen.

Ollie is 13 and so very precious to me and along with the worries of his health I now find myself fearing taking him out on my usual walk.

Keep yourself and your babies safe.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
Re: I am so apprehensive about walking Ollie
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 02:56:29 PM »
That's awful, I keep reading the news stories about the increase in dog theft but it must be horrible to have it so close to home.  I can't imagine what the owners must be going through.

I'm being cautious at the moment, so trying to look out for anyone behaving strangely and making sure I walk where there are lots of other people and in daylight whenever possible.  It doesn't sound like that would help if someone was really determined though.

Just terrifying, but thank you for flagging it.

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 03:17:02 PM »
My wife will no longer take ours out on her own after reading many similar accounts of violent dog theft, it's a sad sad world we live in when a lady is scared to take a dog for a walk in our so called Great Britain
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 05:10:45 PM »
Its horrendous, - people used to feel safer walking a dog than walking alone but sadly it seems to now be the reverse. Is pepper spray available in UK? We can buy small cans here, and I‘ve been considering keeping one in my pocket, although whether I‘d actually be quick thinking enough to use if when the situation arose, I don‘t know.
Take care everyone, keep yourselves and your cockers safe!  :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 05:22:06 PM »
P.s. - I just found this online for UK - might be worth considering?

https://www.vestguard.co.uk/eveaid-personal-defence-spray.html

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 07:10:25 PM »
Thank you Jayne for this....I have a buzzer alarm but it would freak Ollie out.

I think my location and the walk I love is what worries me as too close to a main route to a port town and sadly I believe many dogs end up out of the UK.  Not too bad when OH comes along.

I think it will be a buy I will sadly need to make.  Since he has got older my big brave boy has become a little timid and at 13 years old and nobbled as OH puts it - still it is a worry when you love them unreservedly.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 08:19:42 PM »
It is very worrying just now, I think you are right to be prepared.  Sad that it has come to this.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 09:22:59 AM »
We all have that bottle of revolting perfume sitting around. Stick it in your pocket. A spray in the face will work just as good to give you a bit of time  also not illegal to carry. Here in Wales the reports are scary especially around gundogs. Until It becomes a vote winning political cause I'm afraid we stand alone. My hard job is telling mum that not everyone is a friend of her and her dog
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 05:27:56 PM »
We all have that bottle of revolting perfume sitting around. Stick it in your pocket. A spray in the face will work just as good to give you a bit of time  also not illegal to carry. Here in Wales the reports are scary especially around gundogs. Until It becomes a vote winning political cause I'm afraid we stand alone. My hard job is telling mum that not everyone is a friend of her and her dog

That‘s a good idea! (A blast of Devon Violets would probably discourage them from ever trying it again on anyone else as well!!  :005:)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 06:19:53 PM »

Thanks, that is a good idea - I got bought some perfume from work the year before last and it's disgusting - but it is in small pocket size bottles

Stay safe everyone  :luv:

Offline linda c

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 08:33:47 PM »
It really is getting very scary walking the dog. I carry a personal alarm and mini hairspray but always  try to walk where there’s a few people about. Luckily in our Village there are a few others to ask to go with me with their dog. I even took my house number sign down as it had a Cockers head on it and replaced it with a plain one. Just try to be extra careful and watch any cars or vans that seem to be a bit suspicious. Very sad world we live in now. 

Offline ips

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 08:43:31 PM »
It really is getting very scary walking the dog. I carry a personal alarm and mini hairspray but always  try to walk where there’s a few people about. Luckily in our Village there are a few others to ask to go with me with their dog. I even took my house number sign down as it had a Cockers head on it and replaced it with a plain one. Just try to be extra careful and watch any cars or vans that seem to be a bit suspicious. Very sad world we live in now. 

A very sad world indeed were people are scared to walk there dogs.
Stay safe, ladies especially ❤️
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 12:21:47 AM »
I was aware of dog theft issues at the moment but i presumed that to be people taking dogs from gardens, outside shops etc. Never really crossed my mind that people were taking them from people in public. Although now I've read this i'm not surprised. Stealing dogs must be the new stealing motorbikes for the feral scum.

If it was my Mrs that was worried about it id be doing the walking or going with her.

Stay in busy places and with friends if possible, not easy with covid i guess. More importantly be aware of your surroundings and who's around you. Tell people where you're going and when you will be back etc

Alarms / perfumes / sprays - I'm sure in theory they make seance but in reality useless for the main. Would you really have time to fumble in your pocket / handbag to find it then spray it - I very much doubt it.

My Grans approach to dog walking after my Grandad died was to take a big stick with her. Id say that kind of approach would be better than a spray etc not that i condone violence but taking a walking stick, big golf type umbrella sort of thing at least you could keep them at distance or bosh em in the noggin.

What a few dick heads do to spoil it for the majority.   

Offline Ladys tramp

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 04:30:00 AM »
OH just seen on Facebook two cockers taken from Gloucester. Ours sleep in a crate at night or when we are out without them. I've put paddocks on the collapsible sides and door so no one can get the dogs out easily
 The crate is too big to fit through the door so cant be carried out.
Also taking a walking stick when out with the dogs now.
I wouldn't be responsible for my actions if someone were foolish enough to try and take our dogs while they were on a walk. Where we live has a Facebook group and its obvious people are getting a little paranoid now lots of reports of suspicious behaviour.
We all put so much time and love into our dogs it must be devastating to loose them in this way.
Please all try to stay safe and take care

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 12:15:38 PM »
I’ve just read a suggestion to have a football referee whistle  on your coat on elastic. Not a noise you hear much, so will attract attention.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.